Aureus Academy of Music: I Am A Trialist Mom

Media Invite

When Aureus Academy approached us to come in for an eight week music experience, I jumped on it. Instead of a one day trial, we get to try it out for two months! With five locations strategically placed around the island and a sixth on its road to opening, we did not have much trouble finding a school near our home. They did not specifically pushed a particular instrument but gave Ewan the choice of Piano, Violin, Vocal, Guitar, Cello, Drum or Bass! I was impressed by the number of instruments Aureus Academy is offering and I was certain Ewan would choose *drum rolls* DRUMS! 

If you know him, you'd know how much of a rocker he is. Did he choose drums? Oh yes he did! My husband was extremely excited about his choice because he wanted to join his son on it. 

DRUMS
November 2016, Four Years Old
Ewan was excited the whole week counting down to his Drums trial. So when he went in and refused to follow any kind of instructions the teacher put out to him, I was quite surprised. I had visualised a Father and Son buddy class for the rest of 2017 and most possibly become one of Singapore's drumming duo sensation! #ItsOkayToDreamBig They have the potential I must say.

Alas! Drumming dreams dashed.

Ewan's quite an observer but he chooses some to Sit-And-Examine and Goes-Straight-For-It for others. I am still analysing what makes him tick but mainly, he just wants to make sure that he will do it well before he takes the plunge. Hmmm Kiasuism? Perfectionist? Atychiphobia? In any case, he wanted only to watch daddy play that day. Oh wait! Maybe because mommy, daddy and his little sister were all in the same room and he did not want to embarrass himself with something he doesn't know!

Ewan held the drumsticks in his hands and acted as if drums were no big deal. Oh but I know he wanted so much to give it a good roll. I could see it in his eyes! He finally said, "I just want to anyhow-play. I don't want to learn the right way."

The teacher agreed and told him there is a technique to play the drums in an any-old-how fashion as well! So why not they work on it together. Ewan gave her only two minutes of his time and he refused to continue with the lesson after.

The teacher said she would like to give Ewan another trial lesson because she sees potential in him; that he has rhythm in him.

The boy decided, "I do not want to play drums." So we never went back.



VIOLIN
March 2015, Thirty Three Months Old
Recalling our very first uninvited experience with the music school in 2015, we went for a free trial with the Violin. It was not my choice *in defence mode* but Ewan's! He was only 33 months old then. How old is 33 months old *count fingers* three months shy of three years old. Gosh! He was technically only two! What does he know about the violin? Yet, he announced so suddenly that he wanted to try it.

I made an appointment for a free trial with a violin teacher and we spent half an hour at it.

Unlike the drums trial he went some 20 months later, he was eager to learn! He listened and pulled some sharp screeching notes which made me wince but had to pretend it was a job well done. We've always been saying "You only fail when you stop trying". So efforts should be applauded.

He had one little issue though.

This two year old could not stand straight. He fidgeted non-stop, explored the music room inquisitively and even crawled under the chair! The violin teacher was very patient and laughed at his funny antics but truthfully shared that Ewan will probably be more ready in a year's time.

A year passed but he didn't say he wanted to learn the violin again. So we never went back.



PIANO
January 2017, Four Years Old
After the drumming trial, I thanked Aureus Academy for their invitation of their eight week music experience offer. There was no way Ewan will return for drums again. They understood but re-opened the options and allowed Ewan to choose another instrument if he wanted.

The beauty about Aureus Academy is that they believe in Free Trials. Oh but why? Isn't that bad for the business? Especially if they've got a Trialist Mom like me? I sort of wasted their time on Drums and Violin before Ewan finally settled on the Piano! But hey, they did win me over eventually because of this.

When I spoke to the General Manager, Alex Homefjord-Sarabi, he shared that the school believes that children being children may not necessarily know what they want yet. Especially the younger ones. Maybe today piano, tomorrow cello and another day nothing at all. With trials, parent and child get to take the chance to gauge a child's interest.

To top it even further, school fees are paid on a monthly basis and students are not tied to a term's commitment. His reason, "Again, they are children. They may change their mind on what they enjoy doing. Playing an instrument from a one-day trial could be exciting but doing it for months, you may find that it actually isn't for you. So tying down a child to do something they realise they do not want to is not going help in their development."

Ewan's piano teacher who gave him his first trial was not one to play a fool with. She is strict and expected four year old Ewan to respect the instrument like any obedient child. I was on my toes the whole time when I sat in because Ewan is born a clown! I kind of expected him to react the same way as he had at Drums and Violin - refusing to listen, do a cartwheel or something to give the teacher a hard time.

I was astonished that Ms Gemma was able to hold his interest for the full 30-minute trial! As much as she is stern, she managed to subdue Ewan and I kind of like it. My son became an angel at Piano class! When he did well, she praised him with all that she's got and that made Ewan felt confident and proud of himself.

Asked if he would like to return for more classes, he nodded.


He displays so much interest in music ever since he was a kid especially the keyboard. He has good rhythm and knows his beats. The only problem with this little boy is, he is interested only in play and not to learn. Yet, he isn't a whiz kid whom we can toss him an instrument to play Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence on the fly.

Nevertheless, here's a sharing of his very serious Anyhow-Play Organ and Drums performance in late 2015 at Perth. The family was truly entertained by him that night.


I am a Trialist Mom because I find trials a good opportunity to access the interest of my child. Of course, of the quality of the teachers conducting the sessions as well. I am definitely that Mom who goes for a first lesson before we commit our time.

Sign up for a FREE TRIAL here.

Aureus Academy is delighted to announce the opening of a new school at Eastpoint Mall on 4th February 2017! To mark this grand occasion, they are offering an exclusive promotion of 50% OFF your first month of lessons in Piano, Violin, Vocal or Music Exploration. All you need to do is to sign up before 3rd February 2017 and you will be entitled to 50% OFF the first month of lesson fee upon registration.

I was going through photographs and videos of Ewan's Violin experience with Aureus in 2015 and found a clip of him in the school's Performance Room playing on the piano! To spark his interest, they invited their Director to play a piece for Ewan and I which they did not have to but they did anyways. We were just walking in to check out the school and were greeted by warm hospitality. Hearing that voice, it sounds like Alex's! The General Manager of the school whom I wasn't introduced to back then when I walked in randomly to check it out. [I was not allowed to do a recording of the impromptu performance thus not shared in this clip] Looks like we have got some serious affinity with Aureus Academy now that we've started Piano lessons with them two years later!


Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. Thanks for this amazing post. I really liked it.

    Here i would also like to tell you that if you are searching for music school in Singapore then Mandeville Conservatory of Music is the best choice for you. Feel free to get in touch today to join music classes!!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just listened to the music class post and I am blown away by the talent and knowledge displayed. The instructor clearly has a passion for music and it really comes through in their teaching. I also appreciate the use of visual aids and interactive elements in the lesson. As a musician myself, I found the content extremely valuable and I am excited to implement some of the techniques and ideas discussed in my own practice. Thank you for sharing this wonderful resource with the community. Keep up the fantastic work! I also remember the Sound Engineering India also provides a professional service.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts