Ewan The Free-Spirited, Gregarious and Unconstrained

Behind that free-spirited facade, our son is actually quite fragile. 

He doesn't like to be provoked and when he does, he fights it out with the other child; acting like a little gangster. He fearlessly protects the people he love and will stand up to bullies in school. Yet, he provokes others by stomping into their Lego City after it had been painstakingly built. How barbarous! People who do not know him will judge him [and his mom] immediately because well, ill-mannered right? But that's how he plays. He destroys his own Lego City as soon as he builds them because Destruction Is Fun. To him at least. 

Ewan is quick-witted and quite the star in any show. A replacement teacher came in this morning and introduced herself as Ms Zu. My son acknowledged her and cheekily queried, "Are you a zookeeper?" then skipped off for breakfast with a smart-alecky smile. It was an adorable moment and that got the teachers laughing at his attempt on wordplay. I chuckled alongside them too.

He does not listen and like any child, we need to repeat our instructions five times and threaten with a cane when needed. Thankfully, he behaves himself immediately upon a serious talking to and often offers an apology before I reach my boiling point.

So there. The gist of the story is, Ewan is Free-SpiritedGregarious and Unconstrained

Yet, when I tell a story about how sentimental Ewan can be, people are mostly in shock. 

A conversation between Ewan and his dad last night reminded me that our son's top three love languages are clearly Quality Time, Words of Affirmation and Physical Touch. We need to keep in check how we portray our love for him, touching on his love languages. The same reason I try to put aside one-on-one time for Ewan whenever I can. [Love Language Profiling For Kids]

Dad: I am going to sit an aeroplane to work tomorrow Ewan. Daddy will not be in Singapore okay?

Ewan: Why? You can drive what. Don't have to take a plane.

Dad: Oh I'm going far away.

Ewan: *stifling a cry* but I will miss you.

Dad: I will be home soon. Only three days. *counted fingers together*

Ewan: But I love you daddy *still stifling a cry and burrowed his face into his father's chest*

Dad: You can come and pick me from the airport okay? *returned the hug*

*I had to warn him that he won't wake to find his father tomorrow*

Ewan: I will go to work with you tomorrow Daddy *holding back his tears*

Mom: Then won't you miss me?

Ewan: Yes. Er No. Will you miss me?

Mom: Yes! And I'll cry!

*Silence*

Mom: *pecked him on his eye in the dark because I couldn't find his cheeks*

Ewan: Hey! Why did you kiss me. I'm still here what. [Don't have to start missing me yet.]

*returned me a kiss and a tight hug*

Subconsciously, he knew that Meyer was going off and he probably did not want to wake without saying goodbye. He woke up several times last night looking for his dad and they slept together through the night. Meyer had to leave home at 0645hrs and Ewan, although tired, kept his ears very sharp. He woke crying for daddy at 0630hrs when he found him gone from his bed. Meyer patted him back to sleep with words of assurance, "I am here. I am here." and Ewan slipped into slumber again. 

15 minutes later, he heard a click. The sound of our main door closing. 

Oh my poor son. He wailed his way out of his room, running into every corner of the house shouting, "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" Thankfully, his father heard his cries and came right back in. Ewan was inconsolable and did not allow his father to go. He needed hugs and he needed them tight. Mommy saved the day by offering an impromptu drive to the airport.

Halfway to the airport, he confessed, "I love you daddy."

But when daddy said his goodbyes, our first-born could not contain his heartaches any longer. He let out a sob and weeped buckets right after. Erm... Faye? Nonchalant.


Ah but so glad the sight of his friends and teachers in school lifted his heavy heart in an instant. However, I am sure the moments before we lay our heads down to rest will be difficult for him.

This is not the first time Ewan's been apart from either of his parents. He used to be easy about it as long as one of us are around. Yet, turning four changed him. He decided that he couldn't live a day without us and stopped doing the occasional sleepover at his grandpa's. He decided that he needed both parents with him at all times. Our single trips with him to Langkawi and Taiwan had him crying for mommy and daddy respectively, declaring how much he missed the missing parent. 

Just yesterday at the pool, for the records that he is head over heels over his mom as well, he cried loudly, "I LOVE MY MOMMY! I LOVE MY MOMMY VERY MUCH!" His coach told him that lesson proper had begun and I will have to leave him for the lesson. That was when he started to wail. I do not know what got into him because he had been attending non-accompanied swim lessons for the past seven months. This came quite unexpectedly but upon hearing that, I needed to give him his hug and assurance that Faye and I will also in the same pool as he was. We will be splashing around and we will be of ear-shot. He swan fine thereafter. 

He is so growing up and is suddenly more in tuned with his emotions. I am just pleased as punch that he has such a loving heart. I am relishing in his love and wish we do it right as parents to earn his respect for a long time to come.

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts