10 Proofs of Love From My Husband

I had been working on a client’s piece which I was determined to finish [by tonight] only to have it shelved because Meyer did something at dinner that touched my heart. I looked at that silent gesture and everything that he had ever done for me came crashing in. This post deserves precedence over everything else.

1. I had been experiencing memory loss and fatigue. So much that I’m a little worried about having early stages of dementia. My doctor told me to take Vit B12 and I ordered for a full body check up. Well, I’m already 36. A full body check is due. I was diagnose with anemia and was asked to take iron and Vit C too. I kept forgetting to take them because well, I got this “amnesia streak” right? My husband had been messaging me every morning despite his busy schedule, “Have you taken your vitamins?” to keep me healthy. 

2. I went downhill with illness two weeks ago [nauseous, breathless and tiredness]. It was a regular school and work day. I woke up feeling out of sorts and decided to lay in bed and binge watched tele. When it was about time to pick the kids from school, the husband texted me to ask how I was and if I was feeling bad, just rest. He will take a half day leave from work to settle the children. I took up his offer. He brought the kids home, fed them lunch [although not proper healthy meals and just biscuits], showered them and put them down for afternoon nap. Then he brought them to art class and settled their dinner before coming home with a packet of hot piping Pho for me. No complains but with the only intention of letting me rest in bed. What a man! 

3. It was a night when I felt really awake and him extremely tired. I watched Netflix in mute for about two hours when he suddenly woke up at 0100hrs, dazed but focused on his purpose, to set up the wireless headphones for me so that I can watch Las China’s del Cable with sound! He could have slept but at the back of his mind, he had me in it. He fumbled back to bed and slept through till morn. I hadn’t thanked him! Thus, this. 

4. I am lazy. I sometimes accumulate my washings in the basin for the end of the day. Surely, I will have them washed before I head to bed but my husband never lets that happen. He would take the initiative to have them washed when he returns from work; before I get to it. Oh what a relief. 

5. On the topic of dish-washing, he never lets me wash up after I cook for the family. He feels that he has a role to play as a father and husband as well. “What kind of a man lets his wife cook and clean in the kitchen? I cannot. I will feel very guilty.” he would say. Then he adds, “Anyway, I don’t trust you will do a good job at washing.” To be honest, I’d rather I cook and clean because I know he hates cleaning up! He doesn’t like it so much that he pleads for us to eat out. 

6. He brings me a glass of wine when he sees me working hard, writing stories on the computer late into the night. In the day, he brings water to my table as I get lost in deep thoughts from the abyss of a thoughtful mind while I write. He gives me moral support by keeping himself awake for as long as I do [like right now as I write this]. Why is he so caring and thoughtful? I am very much loved. 

7. When we holiday, I always get pampered in the hotel’s bathroom. Oh don’t think dirty. His gestures are the most heart-warming. If I showered after him or after the kids, he would refresh the towel on the shower door handle with a new one! I mean. How often do we shower and come out hanging our wet towels back on the shower handle? All the time! And if that towel on the handle was wet, it really is no sweat to open the shower door, take two steps towards the hanger at the opposite wall to grab a fresh towel. But no. My husband services me with little things like that, making me ashamed of myself. I was a trained butler but I had never trained him to be one. 

8. Bath towels again. Moving into #mmlittle家, I decided to give my man of the house the shower door handle. I hung his towel there on the first day and mine further away, setting a precedence. Quietly gesturing that I know what he had been doing and now, it’s his turn to be pampered. One day, I brought it up with the intention to tell him I care too by placing my bath towel further away even though I always come out of the shower shivering. He said he did notice I gave him a convenient spot for his bath towel but didn’t know I had been suffering from shivers! After that talk, I kept losing my bath towel on my designated rack. He had been switching our towels to and fro. Whenever it was my turn to shower, he would go place my towel on the shower door handle! What a romantic. But I got very confused and went, “Aiyo!!!! Can you stop doing that or not ah? I’m so confused which is my towel and which isn’t!” I love him so much! 

9. He lets me tell him in the face the nastiest things a man can ever hear. He had been travelling so much when he started his EMBA course with NUS - 18 months in total and I was forced to solo-parent on most days. It was a very tough time for him and for me. There came to a point I felt resentment, jealousy and anger. Whenever he came home from a trip, we would fly into an argument. Sometimes I felt that it was better he stayed away. I knew not to say that to him because I’m sure that was not what I want. It was just anger and exhaustion talking. But came one day, in a heated argument, I blurted it out, “You know what? We don’t need you. Just go away okay? I didn’t think I could handle this on my own but it seemed like I could!” He didn’t go away. He got a rude shock of course but he stuck around like glue. Instead of being childish and getting angry with my outbursts, he cancelled his appointment immediately and stayed home with us. Nursing my hurt and anguish by just being there. We became tighter. I loved him even more. 

10. He cried in the delivery room when I was in labour with Ewan. He saw me suffering and his heart broke. [Read: Birth Stories by Daddy - Ewan and Faye

What was it that Meyer did at dinner tonight that triggered all these? My dad and I were playing Hangman with the children at the dining table, laughing ourselves crazy in stitches, when a silent fork came towards me. I naturally opened my mouth and there I ate the sweetest, juiciest piece of mango. He fed me fruits. Maybe it was because he was too full to finish them all but I know it’s because he cares. 

Valentine’s Day is around the corner. Remember to celebrate the love because it’s always heart-warming to receive. I feel it’s even okay to give in to this big marketing ploy of flowers and chocolates if this is the only reminder of the year for you to Give Love. 

I’m happy with just an old-fashion poem, hand-lettered in pen and paper. Fill those love tanks won't you? I do think the best gift would be to list 10 beautiful things your better half has ever done for you just like this one. What a way to appreciate our loved ones!


Wait, I have to add a number 11.

11. His boss once lectured him about not turning up for an after-hours meeting with a client. He chose to go home on time rather than staying back late at work. I think it was the time when Ewan was only two years old and Faye just a couple of months old. His boss questioned him if he took his work seriously! He answered, "My family is important. My wife needs me." I was touched to tears. I recounted this to his mom and thanked her for raising such a son. Although she also went, "Aiyo! How can he say that! Work is more important what." I really didn't need him that night and I wouldn't want him to lose a job because of that. Well, he didn't lose his job and I had new-found respect for this man I dated since 1998.

My only fear now is that my husband cannot even find five good things to say about me as a wife!

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts