Paediatric Dentistry at Pure NZ Dental

Ewan was 19 months old when we brought him for his first dental visit. Why so young you might ask?

I had bad experiences with my dentists growing up. So much so, I have grown very afraid of them. Gifted with teeth too big for my jaws, I've got myself an overcrowding issue which required one too many visits to the dentist to have my teeth extracted. Every visit was frightening and I did not want Ewan to suffer the same fear.

The only way to get him comfortable for future [more painful] dental visits was to make it a routine; whether or not he has an issue with his pearly whites. A child who does not want to brush his teeth or go to a dentist is likely to continue to do so in adulthood. Not unless his parents guide him and instil good health habits from young. I am taking this role of mine very seriously so that I won't be faced with a trembling child whenever I tell him we've got a dental appointment to fulfil in the future.

The only problem was, I couldn't settle with a regular dentist for Ewan and Faye. None of those we visited impressed me much and because they were big established dental clinics, it is inevitable that we may be assigned to a new dentist in the next visit [dentists moving or or opening their own clinics]. Familiarity is most important in forging a trusting relationship and I was determined to look for a family dentist we were all comfortable with.

Pure NZ Dental is owned by Dr Justin Stewart and he saw to the dental needs of my children. Since he is the owner, I doubt he'll be running off to some other dental establishments. I felt most comfortable to learn that he is a father of four. That translates to, "I know how to handle kids!" and I needed that valuable experience for Ewan and Faye.



EWAN'S DENTAL EXPERIENCE 
We first stepped into Pure NZ Dental in December 2015. Ewan was three years old then and he was already quite familiar with the dentist chair.

I remember the experience was a good one but I found it a little too pricey to return again. It was about $110 for a Clean and Check. That got me delaying his next appointment till May this year - an embarrassing 18 months hiatus. That got Ewan four cavities to fix! That aside, we retuned to Dr Justin because I couldn't find another suitable dentist for the kids. Besides, after doing a little bit of a market survey with fellow mommy friends, they agreed that S$110 is a fair price for paediatric dentistry!

To encourage regular cleaning, Pure NZ Dental offers 10% off cleaning services if you keep to your six monthly appointments. We have since been returning every six months.

Some dollars are worth spending and going to have our teeth checked is one. The amount of money I spent for Ewan's filling [for not going in regularly and nipping the problem in the bud] was not worth it!

Some good advice parents should follow to keep their children from getting cavities:
1. Avoid propping a bottle in the crib
2. Avoid excessive nighttime bottle or breastfeeding
3. Clean a child's teeth as soon as they erupt using a damp cloth or a toothbrush to clean the teeth
4. A child's first visit to the dentist should be made by the first birthday or six months after the first tooth erupts

Ewan was nursed to sleep as a baby and although we do clean his teeth, I chose a non-fluoride toothpaste until he knew how to spit. We tried to brush his teeth twice a day but at times, we got lazy and did it only once a day. With just that, he got himself cavities.

We got his cavities filled at Pure NZ Dental and they suggested we did it in two seatings because it is a long process. Surprisingly, Ewan sat through the one hour treatment like a champ! Even the dentist was pleasantly happy with my very cooperative kid.

Well, that's because they've got a television playing cartoons from the ceiling! Whatever works really. No matter how anal I am about kids and TVs, I welcome this little distraction during his treatment.



FAYE'S DENTAL EXPERIENCE 
My daughter is stranger averse. She doesn't like to engage with people she doesn't know. Even with my grandmother, Faye took a few months [instead of hours] to warm up. With the dentist chair looking intimidating as it is, I knew I will have a hard time putting her on it. Not to mention being examined by someone she doesn't know.

Six months ago, I brought her [three years old] to Pure NZ Dental for the first time. There was a female dentist, Dr Jo, and of course Dr Justin. It took Dr Jo a long time to cajole Faye into opening her mouth for her check-up. She turned on the cartoons, gave her stickers and attempted to play but to no avail. So we gave Faye more time to familiarise with her new environment before trying again.

Dr Justin came knocking on the door as he was available and offered to attend to Faye. Oh no no no. She didn't even want to walk into his consultation room! Faye started to explore the clinic grounds, played with the kitchen set, read books and started opening up. However, she only allowed Dr Jo to attend to her. We stayed at the clinic for two hours in total just to get her ready!


Last Monday, fulfilling our six-monthly appointment, I was disappointed to hear that Dr Jo has left Pure NZ Dental for home in New Zealand. How is Faye going to get through her Check and Clean without Dr Jo?

We booked her in with Dr Justin just like Ewan and crossed our fingers for a successful check. Dr Justin remembered little Faye from the last time and set aside a longer consultation time. Lo and behold! She marched into his room and announced, "PlayDoh Food!"

Everyone laughed but was quick to accede to her request! Anything to get her on the chair for a quick clean and polish really. Dr Justin turned on YouTube on his television screen and figured it out for the first time how to get to "PlayDoh Food"!

Faye was a happy camper that day and so very cooperative! It is really interesting what six months can do to the growth of a child. But I do think the initial familiarisation at the clinic, allowing her to explore, helped a whole lot. We've definitely found a family dentist to go to from here on!



CLINIC TOUR
Pure NZ Dental is located at Bukit Timah, in a row of shophouses with available parking lots right outside its clinic. It is bright and cheery especially this December when it's Christmas!

There are three treatment rooms and they are all decorated with wall decals to make children feel at ease.




Kids are bored easily, but entertained easily, too! I am appreciative of their efforts to provide age-appropriate toys from the wee ones to the older kids. I feel comfortable that Ewan and Faye get to play in a safe environment while I get my teeth inspected. If all else fails, there is a television in the reception which plays whatever cartoons your child desires!

Ewan chose the Ninja Turtles as he waited for his sister to be done.


We were paying customers since 2015. Our experiences with Dr Justin and Dr Jo were nothing short of pleasant.

It is most important that my children walks into a dental clinic without feeling anxiety. Now that Pure NZ Dental has proven its capability to provide a safe and comfortable environment for Ewan and Faye to have their teeth inspected, I see no other reasons to consider another dental clinic. Most importantly, sharing valuable information with fellow parents looking for a a dentist to trust!

Till our next appointment in June!


A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
 We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. Well what can I say is that these is an interesting and very informative topic on dentist office near me

    ReplyDelete
  3. For your urgent dental care needs, London Square Dental has an emergency dentist in Calgary that is available 7 days a week even without an appointment. emergency dentist NE Calgary, AB

    emergency dentist NE Calgary, AB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately you had bad experience with your dental visit. For both minor dental issues like tooth removal, crowded teeth, overbites, and underbites as well as major ones like tumours and trauma, we should seek the advice of a reputable dentist. Cayman Dental Grand Cayman known for best dental care to prevent all dental issues.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts