A Christmas Surprise with Mothers Unite

Five days before Christmas and we decided to get together for a ladies luncheon. When my girlfriends and I decided we would meet on a Thursday, I thought to myself, "Wow! So 太太! A lunch date in the middle of the week?"

The four of us can hardly find a common time for a meal. If we did make it happen, someone would have to sacrifice her normal routine. Because our children go to school at different times, I am available only in the mornings and another mom free from noon. The third of us is a working mom and her lunch hour is fixed. The fourth mom in the group is currently studying her way to be an early childhood educator and it's almost impossible to steal away time for herself until school term ends.

So we were all looking forward to this HolyShitItsAlmostFriday mid-week Christmas date! No more school for the kiddos, no more work for the host and no more assignments for our school-going big gal! Which meant, we could all make it!

The dress code: Christmas.


I had so much fun photographing every Christmassy nook and cranny in the home of the Oois. It reminded me of how close we are to the end of 2017! I must say it had been a stressful year for all four of us. I moved home, Sylvia renovated her home, Serene just sold her home and Iori... Iori's got her plate full with too many things weighing on her frail shoulders.

When we met, we just went round telling each other, "Oh my goodness! You lost so much weight!"  Oh it's fun being moms. But it isn't fun trying to be the capable woman behind the husband who also happens to be a mom.

Ah... girlfriends need group hugs [and lots of food]. It's therapy!


I called in to cancel my attendance two days before the party because I was going to babysit five children that day. It is no fun to gather with a half-hearted attendance and our host, Serene, graciously welcomed all our children including my nieces and nephews. We were four mamas and 12 kids aged one to seven - totally outnumbered!

I brought five children including Ewan and Faye. Of course I worry about the havoc we might create at Serene's place? The last thing I want was to wreck her home! But I decided to trust my children to be angels rather than imps. Thank goodness all five of them were on their best behaviours and we left without breaking some other kid's arm!


We had a scrumptious spread of honey baked ham, pork knuckle, bruschetta, mussels and healthy salad. Oh just missing that champagne! I should have brought a bottle. No excuses for having my hands full with presents and children? Ah self-reminder to be a better guest next time.


Towards the end of our luncheon, I received the sweetest surprise! Sam and Ernest startled me from behind me with a, “Hello”!

I couldn’t believe my eyes!

“Why are you here! I’ve got a date this afternoon at your shop for coffee and cakes!” I exclaimed. It's ironic because I was just asking the girls what Christmas gift I should bring the Cupplets that afternoon and the next moment, I had them at my back!

For all the cakes I’ve ever bought from Cupplets, this is the very first one that was baked for me. A rare purple and yellow work of art that I couldn't bear to slice through. My dearest girlfriends threw me a surprise birthday party! They were many days early [in the celebration] and never a day late in coming to my rescue whenever I needed a listening ear.


Thank you Serene for being such awesome party planner! I was not suspicious at all and then all the build-ups suddenly came to light. You asking me for Sam's mobile number, checking what time I had to leave and that mysterious call which you told me, "Oh I have a delivery coming up."

Sam candidly recounted her conversation with Ernest after they left, "Was that a jungle of children in there? Oh my goodness! These moms can bear! So May has two, Serene has two, the other two moms have eight children between them? How can one little cake feed so many of them! Serene said there were only four people!" *gasps*

I had such a good laugh when we chatted over coffee that afternoon as she shared how this order was taken, how you girls whispered over the phone because I was just there in the house listening in to the one-sided call and how they scampered to get there before I leave.

Thank you very much for loving me, Mothers Unite. Oh and for Sam too. Thank you for loving me just as much, for never ever rejecting any of my orders [or in this case, a cake order for me] at such short notices. What more can I ask for?

Counting my blessings that our paths crossed.

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts