Hello, Calling from MOH...

HOW IT HAPPENED

26 Aug 2021

The day I received my green COVID Health Status that read "Vaccinated" was also the day I was issued a Quarantine Order. 

I was playing Pokemon Go with Ewan, battling in a sure-win raid. A call came in. I put it on speaker and continued throwing pokeBalls towards the defeated Pokemon. Ah... it must be one fo those calls trying to sell me something. I answered nonchalantly, all focused on our game. 

"Hello, is this Liang May? I am calling from MOH. You went to your dental clinic one week ago and there was a COVID positive case who was there too. You are issued a quarantine order..." the soft-spoken lady on the other line went on but it seemed to trail off as I got lost in the blurriness of, "Is this really happening?"

I could no longer concentrate on the Pokemon game nor the voice instructing me to isolate myself in my room until Certis calls me to bring me to a quarantine facility.

Me: Oh! Do you know what time that person was there? I may have forgotten to check out from my TraceToken and it may seem I had been there all day. It's not quite possible I was exposed as I was in and out of the clinic in 10 minutes flat, just to collect my new set of aligners. It wasn't a dental appointment at all. I was merely picking up my aligners *nervous giggle and trying my luck, but all I said was true!*

MOH: Ah I see. However, you were on the appointment list that day. I'm afraid you will have to serve this Quarantine Order. 

One week QO.

The first thing my husband said was, "Why not me! I want to go for this staycation. Need a break. It's good for you to truly relax. Go. Don't quarantine at home." 

Oh gosh. Seriously? I do not want to go at all. I would rather slog my days away with cooking, homework, housework and exhaustion in a home full of whom I love than be pulled away into isolation. 

I tried to convince Meyer to let me stay home to quarantine but we realise, after my talk to MOH and us reading up on Quarantine maters, that me being home will inconvenience every one. I will have to take the Master Bedroom according to MOH because I need a room with an en-suite bath. If I do that, where is my husband going to sleep? Furthermore, my family members will be subjected to as many swabs [according to the hubs] as I if I were to stay home. One more thing to add to the list: Gypsie needs her daily walks. It will be tough if the whole family is put on lock down at home. 

It seemed like a hotel quarantine order would be the least self-centred option in our case. 

A swab team came to my house first for two swab tests before a Certis team who will bring me to the quarantine facility. Once my east results return a Negative, they will send me to my designated hotel and that is when Meyer, Ewan and Faye are allowed to go on with their daily lives. 


We decided to be as responsible as we possibly could and reported it to the children's primary school [even though it is Ewan's exam week and he would have to miss his paper] and enrichment centres for their consideration. Apparently me having a QO does not equate to an automated line of reporting to our children's schools. 

We can choose to:

1) keep quiet and send the children back to school because MOH stated, "Your family members need not quarantine and are allowed to go on with their daily lives" 

or 

2) inform the schools and leave no stones unturned

Ewan and Faye's primary school decided to take heightened precautions and requested the children stayed home until I get two Negative results on both ART and PCR in the span of five days. I applaud their contentiousness. Not only for this episode but the one before this when they said to keep healthy Faye at home because Ewan was down with a sinus. They are not taking risks even for the smallest illness.

In the meantime, my family are still free to go out as per MOH's rule because my first set of swab tests came back Negative.

Was I nervous to do this? Yes I was. I wasn't afraid of contracting COVID because well, it was an in-and-out visit and I am confident of recovering well as a fully vaccinated person. I also believe in the children's immunity system to fight this virus off on their own. However, I am afraid of living on my own for a week. I think I am FOMO-ing. What fun and milestones will I be missing at home now that I am away! 

Teared in the car on the way to my hotel missing everyone's hugs.

Oh poor daddy [or lucky daddy]. While I am here alone in the hotel for a week, he takes the role of a Stay Home Dad of three.

COVID-19 is hitting us so close to home.


AT THE GOVERNMENT QUARANTINE FACILITY

28 Aug 2021, Hotel QO, Day 2

I packed my luggage light. Well, there really wasn't anything much to pack since I ain't' going nowhere. Basically, just a new set of clothes for each day, facial wash, some face masks and hair serum in my drawer that were going to expire because I don't use them, my mat, room scent spray, a book, an empty Nespresso box to prop up my laptop, my contour pillow and mandatory electronics.

When I packed my camera in my bag, Faye commented, "You and your camera." *haha* Yes my love. I enjoy my photography and maybe there just might be something to photograph in my hotel room and hotel room alone. 

Ewan tossed a family photo in, ran away and came back with a photo stand. Boys are super sweet aren't they? Included grown up boys like Meyer who tucked in a Malbec together with a cock screw and heart-shaped stopper, "Heart shape to let you know you are loved." Wah... tsk tsk tsk full marks. But what happened at the hotel? Alcohol's not allowed and I had to surrender it!

They reminded me to bring my mat too. My back acts up whenever it is stiff. I am supposed to do my physio exercises three times a day but I sometimes do none in a day. So this time, while in QO, my dad and Meyer reminded me to exercise as many times as I possibly can. 

I enjoyed setting up my space to happify it and make it livable. Waking up on the first morning wasn't exactly a pleasant one. The night was tough because at 1am and about 4am, there were drilling works out there on the roads. How is it roadworks are allowed in the middle of the night? But it did happen and I didn't rest well. When I finally fall back to sleep in the super uncomfortably cold room, a rude and resounding knock on the door woke me up. So loud it was as though the building was on fire and we were to wake for evacuation! But that wasn't the case. It was a knock just to tell me, "Breakfast's here."

Oooo-kayyyyyy. I get it. I shall wake up for the day. 

I dragged my feet, feeling lousy still. Ate my cold breakfast and chatted with a few friends. Suddenly at lunch, my first telephone call of the day!

Me: Hello?

Lady on the line: Hi, are you expecting a delivery?

Me: Yes, body lotion from my cousin?

Lady on the line, smiling: No it isn't. They are flowers!

Me: Awww! That is so sweet! Can I receive it? [since you guys confiscated my bottle of wine I packed]

Lady on the line, excited as I was: Of course! We will send it up now. 

I've got flowers! Such beautiful blooms to make my spacious but tired-looking room a lot more bearable. From a dull and lacklustre me, I became spritely and chippy! Oh look what flowers can do for a girl. I'd rather something pretty to look at [and coffee] than something to fill my already filled tummy courtesy of our government and GQF. 

And I love my work desk adorned with my favourite things! 


I couldn't stop smiling and then a series of Care drops brightened up my entire Saturday! My concierge worked hard for me today coming up and down the lift with deliveries:

- warmer clothes from the husband to keep me warm here in Narnia

- body lotion and 1.5L of opened of mineral water from the cousin for moisturised and unscathed skin from opening mineral bottle caps which are too tightly screwed on

- percentage branded atas coffee and croissants from Nat and Angie because I needed caffeine

Aww all the love. I rejected so many of my friends requesting for my address because I did not want them to spend money. Then I thought about how happy it made me. Them seeing me so comforted from their little gestures would cheer them up too! So I shan't deprive anyone who wants to send their love. 

Thank you so much for being the sweetest people in my life. Support is so important.

My Day Two was spent replying and chatting with my IG family. So much it kept me occupied from morn to nigh! Believe it or not, I have yet to turn on the tele in my room since the moment I checked in 24 hours ago.




30 Aug 2021, Hotel QO, Day 4

It is a slow Monday. I woke up to very chilly weather and survived the entire day holed up in my room with the air-conditioner turned off. Day 4's blog entry shan't be about me. Today, let us give daddy credit. It is his very first real SAHD day with school-going kids!

On a typical morning, we work as a team to get the kids ready for school. 

Dad - prepares breakfasts, snack boxes and himself 

Mom - gets the kids out of bed, into the shower and suit up for school

We leave the home as a family including Gypsie for the big send-off.

This week, he will have to do everything on his own. Whenever he is out of town and I have to hold the fort on my own, the kids are usually very cooperative. 

On rainy days though, it it is a little bit more rushed. Everything needs to be done sooner because we need to leave home earlier to beat traffic. This morning I heard was a downpour. What a start to daddy's Monday!

It doesn't seem like much on Meyer's schedule today from what I gather but to do it alone for the first time can be quite overwhelming. At least his first half of the day can be dedicated to work but not without first taking Gypsie for a walk. He has to start preparing lunch [macaroni soup] for the children before they come home from school, pick them up and head straight to doggie salon as we booked Gyps a Wash and Blow session. Lunch, wash up, settle children's school work and his own work before heading back to the salon to pick Gypsie up again. 

Awww so clean!


I thought he would just buy something home for dinner but when I checked on him in the evening, he said he was going to cook Japanese Fried Rice!

Me: Why didn't you take pictures of the food you cook? 

Him: Not free rushing

Sorry but I laughed at his reply because it was 6.30pm and I could imagine him trying to dish dinner out quick. I laughed because there was no full stop in that response! [just like me when my hands are full]

Later when he was done, he said he didn't take any photographs because "looks like s*** that's why! Can eat can liao. Looks like what I feed Gypsie."

Laughed out loud once again in my solitary isolation in Narnia [cause it's so cold]. He probably finally understands me now when I don't plate their meals ever so prettily! I often say, "Can eat can liao. Don't ask for too much. Just eat for survival!" or "Do not complain about the house being messy. It's either that or we are all dead when you come home."

Good job daddy! As long as the children eat, that's good enough. Besides, Ewan is always very encouraging. He will always praise me even though my dish may be below par. I was sure he will praise daddy too even if it wasn't good.

And he did *smiles* 

Cooking takes up the most time because it entails prep, cook, dish, eat and clean up. Dear Meyer chose to cook two meals today! Were you trying to challenge yourself? I think you earned yourself double stamps on the card toady to claim your Best Daddy Award by the end of the week. 

Don't worry. One card five stamps only *haha* Thank you for entertaining me even from your text messages! You were seriously swarmed but your replies were seriously hilarious. Doing so good daddy! Gambatte!

Hope you liked the surprise desserts I sent home today for you and the kids! 

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday here we come! Before we know it, I won't have to take temperature three times a day and you will have your team member back at home. 


31 Aug 2021, Hotel QO, Day 5

Since I have more time on hand now that I am alone, I decided to partake in a fun photoshoot of all the gifts I received during this QO. 

More people to thank but in no particular order of favourite friend or family: 

Jasmine - This friend of mine doesn’t like me a lot. She sent me a carton of fruits on my Day 5 - two packets of grapes, two packs of blueberries and one box of cherries! I think she doesn’t want me out and doing all she can to keep me in *hahaha* Too generous! Next time I say I feel like eating grapes, half a bunch is enough already k? *love* 

Tracy - Adult Happy Meal delivered on Sunday morning for breakfast! When the children asked me what I ate for breakfast and I said, “McDonald’s”, they responded in unison, “NOT FAIR!” *haha* Thank you for making the effort to order Milo w/o ice though it didn’t happen. 


Jessica - I realised everything you bought had an “M” in its branding! I am not food adventurous and it was the first time I every tried a dessert from Lady M and rice burger from Mos. Especially loving the tea brewed by our triple C! 

Ashlyn - Pampered me with healthy snacks and hair mask! I really enjoyed the challenge at moisturising my hair. Although it is totally out of my comfort zone, I’m thankful you sent it and I gave it a go! 

Apple and Meiru - What a variety of health foods! Thank you for thinking of me even though you are both unwell yourselves. I am not even ill! I’m just imprisoned! I’m eating *smiles* let’s see how much weight I’ll gain by the time I return. 

And special shout-out to the daddies behind Cleanshades and 3LittlePicks who took the effort to send Meyer and kids encouragement treats at our home! We are truly blessed. 

To my friends who decided not to send me anything else because you know I'm spoilt rotten already,   thank you for your chats and company! I really do have more than enough here and my heart [and tummy] is very full. I appreciate you too! Very much.

Thursday is just around the corner! 


1 Sep 2021, Hotel QO, Day 6

I leave tomorrow. 

What have I learnt here from this Quarantine experience?

Our happiness is dependent on how we approach life. 

When Ewan asked the driver when they sent me off, "Which hotel are you going to send my mommy?"

My heart dropped at his reply. I questioned silently, "What have I done wrong? Why can't the stars be at least somewhat aligned to have me housed in a 5-star hotel?"

Meyer and Ewan's eyes sparkled though and they quipped, "Wow it sounds good! It is in Orchard Road!" They were all smiles and chirpy for me at departure. 

When my car was rounding the bend and the hotel came into my peripheral view, I had tears in my eyes. Oh silly me really. Everything was bad. I saw only nothing but negativity. 

The moment I walked into my room, I complained about the room not being equipped with water, body lotion, how my dinner was cold, the thermostat was spoilt and why can't I open the door to my balcony? Why was there no bath tub?

They change bedsheets only once in 7 days?

I cannot drink my wine and have Happy Hour here? WHY!

Oh gosh seriously May? All these grievances are only going to add up to seven lousy days.  

shall not No, let these things get to me!

Wow! I have a balcony! But I understand why it should be locked. It looks like I can easily climb over to my neighbours'.

Mmmmm... Okay, there is no bath tub or body lotion but I have free wifi, free laundry, three meals a day, clean water, a comfortable bed and oh for goodness sake, I have air-conditioner. So what if it's crazy cold? Just turn it off for a while or layer up with more clothes! Also, we don't change our bedsheets daily at home too so hey... actually once a week is decent. 

My friends and family started sending things to me. Coffee, flowers, fruits, clothes...

Although I am confined in a room, I am still connected to the world and that calls for a celebration doesn't it? I am being issued this QO to keep myself safe and to protect our people out there from contracting COVID-19. 

I started to turn my perspective around and be grateful of what's been given to me. 

Suddenly, my room looked pleasant. I became chirpy and when I look out my locked balcony, I felt thankful I see greeneries! Today I had a pigeon visit me and the other day ants were building a home out there which was destroyed by the rain the next day. They work so hard for survival and here I am, privileged in this less than 5-star hotel. I am ashamed I even judged my housing facility based on its number of stars. 

The staff here are working tirelessly for us. I do hope we all have the decency to say "Thank You" each time they drop food off at our door. 

Let us always count our blessings, not our troubles.

One last night, one last zen before the chaos at home. While I've learnt to appreciate smaller things in life including quiet time to myself, I cannot wait to go home to kick-start the kids' September holidays!



Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!

A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. Urine tests can indicate the use of marijuana, opiates, cocaine, and methamphetamines. 2.5 ounces of concentrated detox drink. If you wish to only take the capsules or the shot you can purchase each product separately. Now put on the shower cap and sidetrack your mind to something else while you wait for this mixture to do its magic in an hour. Once that long hour ends, rinse your hair carefully and thoroughly with warm water, removing the mixture from your head and hair and leaving no residue behind. Visit: https://www.urineworld.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts