Faye turns Six: The Enchanted Forest

You've got the most extraordinary guests for your sixth birthday baby girl! Kristoff, Olaf and Anna came to your party! We did a dress-up to the Super Mario theme for your brother's sixth and we won't think twice about doing it for you since you've requested for it.


“I want daddy to be Kristoff and mommy to be Anna!” you chipped in when we were discussing about your birthday party. We became Kristoff and Anna from Frozen 2 for you! It's amazing how we managed to find the costumes in Singapore during Circuit Breaker. Then Ewan offered, “I’ll be Olaf then! Mommy, can you make me a costume and give me a carrot for my nose?” We laughed at that thought two weeks ago as we chatted in the dark at bedtime. Imagine an Olaf running around singing, “In Summmmmmmerrrrrrr~” or going, "Samathan?"

I couldn’t make his Olaf costume because the materials couldn't come in time but we’ve got it sorted out nonetheless! Look at your bro! Look at your parents *smiles*

Turning Six is such a milestone. Not to mention it is celebrated over a stay-home-no-guest party because of COVID-19! But that’s E.N.O.U.G.H. to make you feel special today. And that’s also because, we created an Enchanted Forest out of the movie set and placed it into your room.



DESIGN AND CRAFT
You know you are pretty amazing yourself. To be able to come up with this birthday backdrop design all by yourself and have it drawn out before we executed it. You told me how you'd like to have two trees in the background of where you'd be standing [with your cake] and maybe a bunting with your name on it which will run from one tree to another. Clouds maybe? Made of cotton? That's it. A Frozen 2 Enchanted Forest theme, simple yet charming.


We sat down with your Art Teacher at Da Little Art School to discuss about your design because they were going to come in and help us with it. They were also going to come to our home to conduct an Art Party for you and your cousins. But COVID-19 got in our way and it became impossible for them to come.

I got scared when you said, "It's okay! We can do it on our own." We can? I don't know how to do it little girl!? I don't think I can help you pull this off! But you kept assuring me that it's doable and I, not wanting to disappoint you, took this leap of faith.

Mommy did some research on how to make branches of maple leaves and found this tutorial rather easy to follow! It gave me confidence and we were on our way to making leaf after leaf from the start of May School Holidays. Two weeks was all we had to complete this setup and I must agree this made a good School Holiday Project for us.

I drew maple leaves on drawing paper. You cut every single one of them. Ewan and Daddy both chipped in to help a little here and there but we both put in the most time at it. You kids painted the base colours of the maple leaves - green, red and yellow - and I did the veins. I think we did good looking at the final setup! You were so serious and I must say, your cutting skills up ten-folds these two weeks! Well done girl.


Your art school wished they could be involved too and offered to help us with materials if we had trouble finding them. So they sent us glue gun to stick the leaves to our brown wired sticks and twigs that we picked from the ground, brown paper to make our the trunks of our woods, paint and even Blue Tag to help with the stickings on the wall! I bet they would even make you an Olaf piñata for a gift and send that to you if I asked but I think we've got enough going to make you a very happy birthday girl today.

We didn't do the clouds [no space] nor the bunting because we would have covered it up anyway from where we stood [or sat]. The assembling of what we made was fun! I enjoyed that a lot and did most of it because it requires a lot more from an adult to get them stuck to the wall. You advised me with lots of decisive pointers, "Put a little bit more leaves here." and "No, I think this is good."

You saw the final look and said, "This is perfect! I love it a lot mommy! We are done."



CAKE AND TREATS
Let’s talk about Cakes! Aunty Jessica bought you a Letter F Macaron Sponge Cake and I kept it a surprise so that you can go "WOW!" when you lay your eyes on them. The cake turned out to be good! I didn’t attempt the macarons because they looked sinfully sweet but you kids loved them and that’s what matters on birthdays. I ate the sponge and mmmmm~ it’s soft, moist and just the right amount of sweetness to complement the sugar on top.


My initial cake order was a jelly cake like you requested for years. I'm sorry you didn't get a jelly cake AGAIN. The order got refunded with the commencement of Circuit Breaker because there are restrictions for home-bakers. We ended up with no birthday cake for you and I was intending to bake you something. But your aunts took over and got it all sorted out for us.

Aunty Dora ordered these beautiful eclairs you had been eyeing on Instagram. I was scrolling through Leclair Patisserie one day and you exclaimed, “STOP! Oh my goodness. These are so pretty! I want to eat them mommy! Wow!”

And with that, they made it to your three-tier birthday centrepiece.

They were not only beautiful but delicious too!



BIRTHDAY PRESENTS
Because it's the Circuit Breaker, we cannot meet our loved ones including friends. Mommy's friends are showering you and kor kor with so much love. They've been sending you gifts and treats and they never forget to drop something for kor kor too.

Aunty Nat and Aunty Angie dropped off lunch and desserts a day before your birthday. Aunty Nat even sent a Unicorn mascot to sing you a Happy Birthday song! Do you remember? If you don't, please check your Birthday folder in the hard drive.

With all your presents being sent over either by post or courier, many aren't wrapped. I had intended for you to receive your gifts without wrapping them. Ahhh.. save me the effort and save the Earth. But last night, I decided to use recycled brown paper to wrap them all up! To give you the pleasure of opening them on your birthday morning. Olaf helped you you know?

These brown paper wrappers were created by you and kor kor a month ago. You coloured in with paint and markers. Today, you received them as wrappers for your gifts! There are birthday greetings addressed to you but we can re-use them nonetheless. Let's do an art project to paint them over again and some other kid will be blessed with these wrappers the next time okay?

You see that Bear wrapping paper I used for one of your gifts? I've been using it to wrap your presents since 2018! This is what one of the 2Rs I've been trying to educate you with - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Although baby girl, the best way is to choose no wrapping at all so we can Reduce.



YOU
Faye. Thank you for being you. 

You woke the entire house up with your loud self-celebratory greeting, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY 妹妹!" 

You've proven time again about how decisive you are even from a very young age. This is your nature; definitely not nurture. There are many good traits about you. Like how you love your brother so much that you said the best occasion to open gifts is actually Christmas. So that kor kor won't have to just sit and watch you open yours today. On Christmas, you will both get to open respective presents together! You knew he would feel sad and that's so sweet of you to empathise. Just because you said what you had, mommy took a small gift from the storeroom and placed it in the midst of your birthdya stash. What a surprise he got! You were happy he lit up.

You also let him in to join you in building your birthday Lego gift today. But because you are also a systematic perfectionist, his sloppiness and clumsiness got on your nerves. 

Sometimes you are patient and I understand the times when your limit is reached. Still, hey! Let's work together on your tone and your outbursts okay? Especially the times when you refuse to speak and articulate yourself. I really have no tolerance for that. Help me to help you!


I’m glad you enjoyed your birth story. I must have made it really funny for you both to laugh as hard as you did. You told me you loved your birth story a lot and I reminded you kids why you should take birthdays to appreciate your parents too because on the day you were born, your parents went through emotions and pain more than you could ever imagine. Our lives begin a new chapter together with you and we live, breathe, work mainly for the survival of this family and for your happiness. The journey doesn't only comprise of happy days but also very tough days. Even so, we will always walk every single step with you and kor through the rebellion and the jubilance.


Read Faye's other Birthday Celebrations:
First Birthday, 2015
Second Birthday, 2016
Third Birthday, 2017
Fourth Birthday, 2018
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts