A Coronavirus Home-Bound Mother's Day

I hadn't intend to write this because I wrote a small part of my Mother's Day celebration in COVID-19 Circuit Breaker Notes. But the gifts and pampering just kept coming! So, I've bumped this up into a big post; a post on its own instead. 

This mommy here got a full weekend of Mother's Day + Post Mother's Day flowers! Saturday, Sunday and Monday! Haiyo... Moms are actually so easily pleased. All we want is a day off from the kitchen [Just One Day and maybe on Birthday], for everyone at home to speak with appreciation [Just One Day Again] and a simple "You're Doing Great" [Just One Day!]. That's it! It doesn't take much to make us grin from ear to ear.

Going backwards with my story, starting today!

-------

11 May 20 [Circuit Breaker Day 35]

Monday. Post Mother's Day. I was back to the daily grind and I was happy to do it because I had all the rest I needed over the weekend.

Off to the kitchen I went to cook lunch for the family!

There were various requests from big kid to middle kid to little kid:
"I want noodle soup!"
"Noooooo I want fried noodles!"
"Mommy can you cook cheese tofu?"

All was good and I was happy to submit to their requests. Until I was faced with a sticky problem with my stainless steel pan! Everything stuck to the pan and I just couldn't get them out! I got so mad that anyone who squeaked the slightest sound would have gotten it from me.

I shouted out of the kitchen, "Come collect your plates! Lunch is ready!" I was in no mood to serve them anymore.

While I was frowning and grumbling, smoking out of my ears kind of pissed with my pan, Meyer received something from the door and came to me in the kitchen, "Nah! Don't be angry already."

I SCREAMED!

I think the delivery person must have gotten a shock because it was a long and loud scream!


This totally lifted whatever foul mood I was experiencing in the kitchen. Truly. He feels that flowers are a total waste of money. It's like waiting for money to wilt and die. But I like it! And so he fulfils it because we make our loved ones feel special with what they want and not what we want right? He definitely got that right!

May: I'm the luckiest woman in the whole world!

Meyer: No. I don't think so.

May: To me, this is all and more! So I am the luckiest woman in the whole world!

Even luckier when the other boy at home is so sweet with his gestures. He went to his room and took out his piggy bank. "Daddy, how much are the flowers? I pay."

His father told him, "Split by three ways, it's .... "

Ewan rebutted, "No. I pay all. Not sharing."

Meyer laughed in shock at his generosity, "But these aren't enough to pay for the flowers!"

My sweet sweet son, "Oh. Then you take all that I have lah!" and he walked away macho-ly, winging it all!

Thank you for pampering me a day after Mother's Day my dear husband! Thank you Meyer for being an exemplary role model for the kids too. For when they are someone else's spouses and for when they continue to be our grown-up children, they know how to Give and how to Make People Around Them Happy just by growing up beside you.

I managed to rearrange them in three vases and they are placed all over the home! LOVE.



-------

10 May 20 [Circuit Breaker Day 34]

Today's the original Mother's Day and Ewan sent such a powerful message last night while in bed.

Ewan: Today's just a try-out. Tomorrow we will do you another card and celebrate Mother's Day for real. 

Dad: Wah *claps hands* well-said my son but erm... I don't have anything arranged for tomorrow!

Ewan: It's okay! I'm the boss. I do the planning tomorrow. 

We spent our Sunday lazily at home playing board games, crafting Faye's birthday decor and watching a movie. We decided to buy in WaaCow! Super cheat weekend for this Vegetarian family but their Uni and Wagyu Beef Bowl with Foie Gras is to die for! It even comes with a mini bouquet of baby breaths which the daddy presented to Faye as advanced birthday gift. *haha*

Easy. Just a simple day of "Mommy's Always Right" with no quarrels or problems.


Faye said to me, "妈妈,我真的很爱你". I gave her a tight squeeze and she added, "You put in so much effort on my leaves for my birthday."

When I thought she wasn't looking...

When you thought I wasn’t looking 
You hung my first painting on the refrigerator 
And I wanted to paint another. 

When you thought I wasn’t looking 
You fed a stray cat 
And I thought it was good to be kind to animals. 

When you thought I wasn’t looking 
You baked a birthday cake just for me 
And I knew that little things were special things. 

When you thought I wasn’t looking 
You said a prayer 
And I believed there was a God that I could always talk to. 

When you thought I wasn’t looking 
You kissed me good-night 
And I felt loved. 

When you thought I wasn’t looking 
I saw tears come from your eyes 
And I learned that sometimes things hurt but that it’s alright to cry. 

When you thought I wasn’t looking 
You smiled 
And it made me want to look that pretty too. 

When you thought I wasn’t looking 
You cared 
And I wanted to be everything I could be. 

When you thought I wasn’t looking I looked . . . 

And wanted to say thanks 
For all those things you did 
When you thought I wasn’t looking. 

- Mary Rita Schilke Korzan



-------

9 May 20 [Circuit Breaker Day 33]

“You *tan dio” said the husband in the kitchen this morning “You get a Mother’s Day weekend instead of ‘a day’ because I couldn’t get any food delivery slot for tomorrow. So Mother’s Day lunch is arranged for today. You’ll still get your day off tomorrow.”

So good can!? Even though he doesn't understand what the hype for Mother's Day is, he still made the effort to order in lunch and helped the kids with the card. This morning, Meyer googled right in front of my face, "What's Mother's Day about?" *haha* Made me laugh because ya it's true! What's the big deal? But I just like to celebrate every celebratable occasion.

While in bed this morning, I got woken up by a commotion in the dining room. The children were arguing about the design of my Mother’s Day card [so not very discrete] and the husband was trying his best to manage the situation without blowing his top. I almost wanted to go outside to diffuse the situation but decided to hide under covers and chill. I love the card!

It really felt like Mother’s Day today as they left me alone for two full hours to paint my Starry Starry Night! Oh yes. I claimed the ownership over Da Little Art School DaBox’s latest themed box because I wanted it for myself! The family gave me an A for good effort *haha* I gave them an A-star for the card.

-Ding Dong- My Mother’s Day lunch arrived! Meyer ordered Chatterbox! *haha* I haven’t had Chatterbox in 20 years and erm, it’s nothing special lah huh the chicken or the rice. What made it so good was the 心意 really. And that he bothered to plate it for me because I don’t like to eat off takeaway boxes. So there. I got my special plate while he ate from the boxes! The clever husband bought more than we could eat for lunch and proudly shared, “Don’t need to eat finish ok? I bought so much so that we can make them hot for dinner too. All settled for today!” This is why men are practical creatures!


The kids looked hilarious as they served me like a Queen today. One made coffee for me, delivered from kitchen to dining table [I was so worried she’d fall and I’ll have to clean up] and the other, presented me a spoon! “This is Your Majesty’s spoon.” said the son bowing his head. I couldn’t help but laugh at the way my spoon was given to me!


And because they made me feel so special, any requests from them were easily passed. Off they went to watch cartoons!

I really did feel different today. Especially when I've been cooking every day since the Circuit Breaker. To have one day not having to walk into the kitchen to chop garlic felt crazily liberating!

At bedtime, we had one last conversation.

Ewan: Today is a try-out. Tomorrow, we will make another card and wish you HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY again!

Meyer: Wow! *claps hand* So well-said son. But erm... I don't have anything else planned for tomorrow leh.

Ewan: It's okay! Tomorrow I'm the boss. I plan.

*tan dio is Hokkien for 赚到 or strike lottery


Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.


Comments

Popular Posts