The Making of #mmlittle家 - Decor Stickers by LayerPlay


This isn't the first time I worked with LayerPlay Design or Robin Sprong Wallpapers. In fact, they were the reasons for giving our home such a bold fashion statement that home decor magazines spotted us on the grid! It has been almost two years since we last worked with them to cover four of our walls with their wallpapers drawn by artists helming from Australia to South Africa. 

We didn't intend to engage LayerPlay for our kitchen renovations but eventually did. All because the refrigerator I bought didn't come as expected. I remember we were flying off for our holiday to Gold Coast and I did a last minute shopping five hours before our departure. My criteria was simple. Well, at least I thought it was simple which turned out to be a tall order. I wanted a white fridge of a particular size and it seemed like manufacturers and designers do not like particularly like refrigerators to be designed in whites! There were lots of silvers and even blacks but the whites were scarce. I settled on a white fridge the salesperson suggested to me via a link on the web. The picture he showed me was of the front-view of a Bosch refrigerator and it was creamy white. I put down my payment and went on my way. 

90 days later when it finally got shipped and delivered, I got a shock! True that the front is what I envisioned it to be but the sides were silver! Oh no no no no no! We will be exposing the sides of our refrigerator to aesthetically boast its presence but it being silver doesn't match the whole colour scheme of our kitchen! I was extremely upset that this piece of essential machine is literally going to be an eye sore every time I walked into my new cooking space.


I lost sleep over it [I'm mad I know] but quickly snapped out of it with an idea of covering the silver sides with an art piece. I was certain I'd be able to find something we love from the collection in Robin Sprong Wallpapers which LayerPlay carries!

Meyer and I have differing views. Looking at our Master Bedroom [he chose these], you would have known he's one who dares to make a statement.


While I prefer the calming nature scheme of things:



But we both finally agreed on Lin Barrie's paintbrush strokes encapsulating the abstract essence of landscape, people and animals through observations. We chose DAWN and got it printed into a Decor Sticker for the sides of our refrigerator.


The wonderful thing about working with LayerPlay is that it is locally based and they have everything printed in Singapore. If there was an error in the print, it can easily be rectified with a re-print rather than waiting weeks for the new sheet to be shipped back in. They came for a site visit to measure everything up and checked the heat of the refrigerator to ensure it wouldn't be a problem for a decor sticker. Thereafter all our conversations and confirmations were done via WhatsApp and email. 

Eric, LayerPlay's Interactive Media Designer, worked closely with me to pick the perfect rectangle for each side of the refrigerator. I didn't know we could do this but he showed me versions and possibilities of capturing a certain part of the Lin Barrie's "Dawn". Even turning the artwork around so that I get my perfect scene. I was very impressed with his contribution and expertise when it came to advice on how we could do this.


Because it is a piece for the kitchen, it is important that the print is safe for indoor health. LayerPlay's fully customisable prints are endorsed with both Green Guard Gold® and Bio Pruf™, two of the highest possible ratings for indoor health safety. Their Print Technology offers health and environmental advantages. Most importantly, these high quality prints are anti-bacteria, odour-less and chemical free with no-VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) present. 

PRICE
$200 Artist's Image from LayerPlay
$160 Customer's Own Image
$80 to $100 for Installation

It is really rather easy to apply, you can have it installed on your own to save the installation fee. Did I also mention these are repositional decor stickers?

While they were doing this, I looked at my bomb shelter door and decided we could do something about it too. A blackboard would be nice to hide that door and since we already have a barn door on the same side, a rustic writing board would look rather apt. However, I do not want a real blackboard using chalk lest the dust flies everywhere in a space where food is being prepared. A whiteboard printed in black would be a smart alternative! A quick discussion later, we came to an agreement that a sticker-whiteboard lamination-magnet kind of arrangement can be made for our bomb shelter door! That very ugly door. If I can’t dismantle it, I’ll cover it!


All I need are white non-permanent chalk markers [no fumes] and wet wipes to reset my board with recipes, quotes and love notes for the family.

We shortlisted this design from 123RF.com and LayerPlay helped to tweak it a little to fit to the size of our door. If you are a keen artist, you can draw up your own design in full colour even!

One thing we learnt after installing though. Bomb shelter doors are already magnetic! You don’t have to create a magnetic board with this sticker idea. Just go for plain whiteboard lamination sticker!

PRICE
$370 Maganetic Sticker
$200 Non-Magnetic Sticker
$150 Customer's Own Image
$80 to $100 for Installation

The kitchen's finally ready after three long months of renovations and styling. Next up on our sleeves is having Faye's Cooking Channel up and going with subscribers!


Read Also:


A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts