This Spartan Warrior Kid called Faye

Media Invite


The Spartan Kids Race was held on 24th March 2018 and we had only Ewan signed up for it. We showed him a clip of what to expect and half-way through it, he said, "Yes! Yes! I want to do this!" This would have been the first of many for Ewan. Unfortunately, he fell terribly ill on Sunday and was feverish up till race day. 

Ewan woke up that morning, "Can I go for Spartan Race mommy? I can do it. I really want to." Oh it was clear I couldn't let him because he was still feverish even after a second course of antibiotics. Eight days of fever! Although I thought he might cry, he was too weak to. He chose to stay with my dad for the rest of the day and slept the whole afternoon away.


Faye was skeptical about the race upon learning that her brother, her champion, was not going for it. She quietly announced, "I don't want to go already." Oh this girl! I was afraid something like that might happen. 

"Faye oh Faye. Do you remember you were the one who insisted on signing up? I think you need to be responsible for the choices you make. We should go for this. Besides, it's going to be fun! Mommy and daddy will be there with you. So will your cousins, Elliot and Sofie!" I encouraged.


She dragged her feet out of the house, whined and complained. Yet when we arrived at Palawan Green, Sentosa, she started grooving to the beat! She was skipping, twirling, bouncing and when the drizzle came, she danced in the rain. It was a beautiful sight to see; kids jumping puddles and getting drenched without a care in the world. While we adults, ermm moms and dads who weren't fit enough for the Spartan Sprint but pushed our kids for Spartan Kids, hid under tents for shelter and complained how our shirts' all wet. WEAKLINGS! *hahahah*  

It doesn't matter how heavy the downpour was, we let Faye decide for herself if she'd rather take shelter or play in the rain. I was really crossing my fingers [tight] I won't get another sick kid for the rest of the week. However, I shan't restrict her. Come what may. For now, enjoy the moment. This is what childhood is made of isn't it?


We did not sign her up initially because we didn't think this was her kind of fun. Besides, she is tiny for a four year old. The obstacles may be too tough for her petite frame. 

What a horrible conclusion for a parent to come to! Now guess what? She was in her element the whole afternoon and earned every bit of her medal as she completed her 800m race with her fellow racers. The scorching sun that came after the downpour was welcomed by all even though it made it a tougher race than if it was sunny all the way. Imagine dragging your drenched clothing over choppy sand with the sun in your face. It was a race meant for a real Spartan Kid!


As the rain delayed four heats, we were wondering if it would still go on. We parents actually didn't mind the kids running in the rain but the organisers had to play safe in case of lightning. Finally, we saw a flag-off an hour later and I assumed it was for the 1400 hours race [ours was the 1430 hours heat]. We quickly stood in line at the Starting Point after that Flag-off for the our turn only to realise that they've lumped the 1400 and 1403 hours heats into one to make time for the later heats!

No wonder the kids standing around Faye and her new-found friend were towering over them! They were the 10-13 year olds! A dad behind me stopped me from happily photographing my kid and said, "Go! Chase the group in front! The little ones are gone! These are the big kids!"


At that, I shouted for Faye to, "GO! GO! GO!"

She fell with every three runs because the sand turned choppy after 60 kids raced on it before her. It was rather difficult for me needless to say, a 94cm tall tot. She was angry! She was frustrated but she grit her teeth and pushed forth when Evangeline, a six year old girl, turned back and held Faye's hand towards the finishing line. There were no words exchanged between them. Just a silent acknowledgment that they are in this together. Faye was spurred! The power of support spurs even the slightest doubt!

Meyer and I were with Faye all the way and I motivated her with, "YES YOU CAN DO IT", "YOU GO GIRL!", "WOOHOOOOO!", "COME ON! COME ON!" and ran some lengths with her clapping my hands and pushing those adrenaline to higher grounds. Her father held a bottle of water running alongside her in case she needed recharge [what great service] and resisted himself from helping her with heavy sand buckets as much as possible.


Then came the second last obstacle where the kids had to climb over a 3.2m high pyramid [that's higher than a HDB floor-to-ceiling standard of 2.6m mind you] and I knew she was going to conquer it with ease. There was no fear in her because she had a buddy doing the climb with her. Faye was determined and I refrained myself from climbing behind her. I did ask, "What if she falls?" then I told myself, "No she won't." If I instil fear, she will always have that in her. If I were to always stay close and ensure her safety, she will never soar.


It was clear that Faye had a lot of fun running the obstacle race. Like a friend quoted [Rachael! You!], "There is at least a mental element to it where u have to think of how to overcome the obstacles rather than just plain running which needs only endurance."

As a mom blogger, I get at least five invitations a year to kid and family races in Singapore. All of which I politely decline because what fun is a Start to Finish kind of race? But obstacle racing is a totally different league of fun, stamina, exercise and resilience. You're never too young to set goals and conquer them. Jump, run, climb, get muddy, crush the course! The satisfaction at the end of the race when everyone hoses you with water as you catch your breath would be awesome!

And Faye. She had the opportunity of getting hosed after waddling her way through a pool of dirty, brownish sandy water. The moment I saw her being awarded her Finisher's medal, I wore this thing called pride all over my face.


It didn't matter if she came in First, Second or Third. It only mattered that she finished what she started, earning every honour in that medal she now hangs in her bedroom.

This medal is a good reminder to this quote:

Go Ahead. Tell Me That I'm Not Good Enough, I Can't Do It. Because I Will Show You Over And Over Again, THAT I CAN!

Faye's a Warrior! How can we not be proud? That little girl who is always dreaming about princesses and tutu skirts can actually conquer an obstacle course called Spartan Kids!


They say every Spartan Race is a baptism. This is just the start. I fell absolutely in love with the course and am tempted to fly the kids to Hong Kong [14.04.18], Taiwan [05.05.18] or Japan [19.05.18] for their Kids Race! We could take the chance to go on a holiday too can't we?

Find a Spartan Race here.

I shall sign myself up for a Spartan Sprint the next round. This is their shortest course [5km+ Sprint with 20-odd Signature Spartan Obstacles], perfect for athletes of all levels; from Spartan first timers to seasoned racers. Mud, fire, walls and barbed wires! Looking at the achievement of Faye the Spartan, I am telling myself that I'm wrong to think I can't do it! I and going to get myself to the starting line and show me what I am capable of.

This is what SHE was capable of.




DISCOUNT CODE
Take 10% off Kids and Adults Race
"MMLITTLEE2018"
Click link above to Register


FACEBOOK GIVEAWAY 
Win two KIDS RACE at Spartan Singapore for the 
11th November 2018 event at Bukit Timah Saddle Club!

Steps to win the giveaway: 
1) like A Million Little Echoes Facebook page

2) like Spartan Race Singapore Facebook page

3) comment on this Facebook post the age of your child/children and if he/she/they has/have conquered a Spartan Race before!

Bonus: Share this post and set to public with "We Want To Win A Kids Spartan Race For --child/children's name-- !"

Giveaway ends on 31 August 2018, 2359 hours and results will be announced the next day at A Million Little Echoes Facebook page. 


Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts