The Truth About My Two-Year-Old

Oh that beautiful angelic face. She sits quietly at the table while Ewan trashes the place down with his voice. She plays nicely with her cooking set while Ewan engages in destructive play. She tilts her head down looking bashful as strangers say Hello while Ewan returns a resounding Hi back. Then I get many comments, "Oh how nice to have a girl! She's definitely a lot easier to care for than her brother."

Mom chokes on her drink and go, "mmmm actually she terrorises me at home if you must know."


Oh yes. We are talking about my two year old daughter and her name is Faye. We love her deeper than the ocean and higher than the clouds. There is nothing we will never do for her and protect her we will for the rest of our lives. She is beautiful, very sweet and born strong-willed. Traits can be nurtured but some are gifted by nature. How can I ever get cross with that face? She makes you smile just by looking at her 苹果脸 [apple face] and guilt-free eyes. Faye my Faye.

Yet those eyes can bring out the deadliest dagger stares. Excuse me. It's not just me who commented on that ya? I've heard many telling me how they felt sized up by my sugarplum. She takes longer than usual to warm up and I think we kind of like that because she is a girl after all. "Cautious" is her middle name and she needs that to protect herself from scoundrels when she grows up.

So the truth about this girl is, she is a little terror at home. Would you be surprised if I told you she cries every single day? There was a time when I told myself, "Today's goal is to achieve a record of zero crying." like the construction sites with the big billboard "Days from Last Accident". As her mother, the only human who spends every single minute of her life with her, I know how to differentiate a cry of pain and a cry of brattiness. Faye screams at the slightest of things and I take it as an opportunity to hone my patience and communication skills.

I do feel like I am living next to an irresistibly adorable time bomb. She always removes her shoes before entering the home but today, she decided to walk into the house with her shoes on. When I did not allow it, she threw into a fit. Am I suppose to condone that behaviour and let her have her way? I did not think so. We sat at the door step and talked about it but she couldn't hear me because her cries were louder than my attempt to communicate.



I managed to get her home with her shoes removed. Eventually I did! WoHoo! So she said she wanted to eat a hard-boiled egg and I quickly popped one into the pot. I usually carry her up to take a peek at her egg in the pot but I was in dire need to pee! I bent down and quickly said, "I'll be back ok? I need to pee. I go toilet first! Urgent!" What happened next? She ran after me crying, "I want to see! I want to see!" What? Seriously? I just needed a pee! Did she have cry like that?

Then came shower time. As usual, I learnt that forcing does not work. I do not want to start a fight with her either so hey, just tell me when you are ready to take a bath. I'll be here. She proceeded with her colourings, ate her egg, drank her milk and basically, I just let her be. Then she dashed into the bedroom where Ewan and I were in [he was showered, done with his milk, finished our afternoon story telling session and was so ready for nap] and exclaimed, "I pang sai [pooped]." *hahah* Yay! I get to shower her without having to wait any longer! Wash wash wash!

However, on other days, I need to always find a new excuse to get her into the shower or other matters pe se. She cries when I remove her pants first because she wants "shirt first". What is wrong with that right? Nothing at all. But after trying to get her into the bathroom for an hour, it is hardly nothing at all. Of course, I let her take her shirt off first because that's not going to kill. I have to choose my battles and I am not going to fight that.

Oh nap time was difficult today. We kissed and laughed, rolled and tickled in the darkened room with Ewan. When it was getting a little too late, I declared that the witching nap hour had arrived. She refused to sleep and I sometimes would have to threaten her by leaving the room. I really do not like to come to this but nothing else seems to work. Oh trust me that I have exhausted all options to put her to bed and do not tell me that she doesn't need her nap. I know my children need their afternoon siestas even when they do not look like it. And what is that about when I am required to climb onto her bed from the left instead of the right side? It matters to her apparently. *haha* What a stickler! I shall see positivity in this: She knows what she wants and she will not relent until she gets her way. What a go-getter! You go girl!

Faye is more than capable of speaking her mind. She can easily tell me that she prefers to be carried to sleep or that she wants to drink a cup of water first. Yet, she decides to use her cries to enunciate her displeasures instead. I repeatedly told her to communicate her wants with me. She wants a hug? I will hug her. She wants to be carried, I will carry her. Yet, she chooses to stay silent and uses her hand to point to whatever place she wants me to go. Well, I do give in. However, I find that I have the need to nip this defiant behaviour in the bud before she gets any worst! She is only two. What is to become of her at 18 if I do not set a strong foundation from the start?


I have to go to extreme measures just to have her apologise to her brother [or me or daddy] when she does something wrong on purpose. It takes an hour of talking, cajoling, threatening and punishments in between screams and cries. It is very draining. She can be that stubborn and definitely displays a very strong egoistic character in her. I do use the Ignore method as well - supported by her beloved grandmother who suggested this measure to me. Yet, at times when she accidentally hurt us, she would quickly offer an apology followed by a sayang with her endearing eyes. Often than not, a kiss will follow. Oh what a sweetheart.

Faye is such a lovable little girl. Everyone loves her to the moon and back. Her laughters are hearty and her heart is kind. She speaks so sweetly and pulls the heartstrings of people she meets.

The label Terrible Two didn't come about from nothing really. Oh no! Now I'm labelling my kid! In actuality, I am trying to make myself feel better with that label because I live on the hope that she will not be the same when she turns Three. That will be the Terrific Three right? In any case, I am looking forward to her turning Three though some moms swore by Terrific Twos and Terrible Threes. *hahah* This age is all about experiments, pushing boundaries and basically, just learning about their presence in this world. I sense her frustrations when she cries but I am as much a human as she is. Sometimes, I cry with her as well.

And I do feel better afterwards.

I want you, you, you and you capable moms out there to know, "You Are Not Alone."

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.


  

Comments

Popular Posts