Small Spaces: A Tree-Free Christmas Tis' Year

It is twenty sixteen and we just moved back to our 2-bedroom apartment in May. We used to have live Christmas trees in the past and each year a taller tree than the ex. Of course, I was looking for another live tree this year and thought of IKEA. A quick check and I was surprised to hear that IKEA, for the first time in 20 years, will no longer sell live trees in Singapore!

I was curious about that decision and decided to probe further.

Is a Live or Artificial Tree "greener"? Which is better for the environment?

Faux trees boasts the ability to be Re-used! You can dust off the plastic tree and bring it out year after year. The only problem is it will probably be made from a petroleum-based product. Think PVC, steel and polyurethane foam. If the tree is not recyclable, chances are it will linger for centuries in a land-fill site.

While growing real trees, it absorbs greenhouse gas CO2 and provides a natural habitat from animals [until they are chopped down]. However, if they are not being sent for recycling after it is done with its purpose of erm beautifying your home, it may cause tonnes of unnecessary waste to be accumulated! In Singapore, we do not have tree recycling support and I had always simply disposed my trees in the dumpster. What have I done!

So how about going Tree-Free? As an alternative of buying a tree, why not donate to help conserve the world's forests?

I decided to go Tree-Free this Christmas. Frankly, I was very disappointed with this decision I made. What is Christmas without a tree really? It is such a charming addition to any room and it seems to me the main focus for the holiday season! However, with all that I've read, I hope we can take this chance to do our part in keeping the world's natural habitat unharmed. Who would have thought both artificial and live trees could be detrimental to the health of Earth if not disposed appropriately.

The happiest person to hear of my decision is my husband.

To him, less is more.

But you know how much I love to photograph. How much I love to walk into a home that exudes warmth and love! I had to do something to our space and here's my proud Christmas creation.

A tin soldier and Christmas tree [from Spotlight at 30% off] as the centrepiece with presents lying close. I have two boxes of Christmas trinkets, collected from years of home-decorating towards end of each year. I poured them out and used what I deemed fit for 2016's Christmas.





Now what's missing on the front door is a Christmas Wreath. I engaged Urban Li'l to personalise a Christmas plaque that represents our family. It was a very difficult decision on what to inscribe because we wanted something fun yet close to our hearts. Meyer and I came up with the weirdest, most tacky taglines like, "Yang And Dangerous", "Come In And Be Yang", "Forever Yang", "Yang, Wild and Free" and "We Are Only Yang Once" amongst others.

Erm... so as not to confuse, our family name is Yang and thus the puns.

Eventually, we both agree on this one:

"Together, We Are Yang"

It hit home for us. When Ewan asked me to read it for him, I realised, "Hey! Doesn't it sound like Janelle Monáe's WE ARE YOUNG song?

Tonight
We are young
So let’s set the world on fire
We can burn brighter than the sun

Cool! Unknowingly, we came up with a plaque that is quite fun! Still on the page of reusing materials, I decided to make my own wreath. I had intended to simply purchase one because I was really late into setting up the house of Christmas this year from our year-end vacation. There was a part of me who wanted to not bother because I was really exhausted by the time we came home. 


A table filled with lovingly-written cards and family portraits would make a pretty spot. I moved out the children's art pieces and turned it into what I call a Christmas Table. Short of some candles but I replaced it with LED lights instead. Anything that keeps the space safe from curious little fingers.






I did not manage to put up the Advent Calendar for the children this year either. 

Oh but I'm so glad how our living area turned out. At least, living up to my expectations. To be very honest, it is so hard to resist getting a Christmas tree [for the rest of my life if I want to walk this talk]. But I shall be focused. It has got to start somewhere and although I may be the minority, I shall endeavour to go Tree-Free.

Unless some companies can promise the option of recycling Christmas trees in Singapore! Do you know any?


A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts