[DISCOUNT CODE] myFirst Fone R1s - The Upgraded Version

It has been nine months since we've put myFirst Fone R1s on a full-on comprehensive stress test. Where it used to be a Watch, a Phone, a Camera, a Music Player and a GPS Tracker, it now includes:

- 4G Voice Data Call, Video Call and Messaging

- Multiple Preset Texts for Chats

- New User Interface Design

- Personalised Reminder via Voice Recording

- Heart Rate Monitoring

- Improved Water Resistance

- Badges Collection to Motive Kids to Move


Before I dive into the new features, I would like to share the hits and misses I've picked up from R1s as compared to the R1 we reviewed last year. Adding them to the list in bold, here's what you can expect from R1s!

What I love:

- improved GPS tracking system

- improved battery charging connection 

- ability to send photos to my children

- fitness achievement badges

- battery life lasts longer

- both iOS and Android compatible

- unlimited data and voice calls

- how I can be in contact with Ewan and Faye when they are away from me

- the clever way it can toggle between a basic watch and a smart watch 

- that there are no games to play unlike a smartphone

- the security feature of who can contact my children and who they can communicate with

- the Removal Detect feature sends an alarm to parents when the smartwatch is taken off the kid's wrist

- the ability to activate the Shutdown Forbidden feature to disallow my children to turn off their watches [no possibility of playing truant because I can "see" them]

- no matter if the smartwatch is in its full functioning mode or class mode, the SOS button to call us for emergency still works

What I do not like:

- GPS still does not give 100% accuracy on precise location

- the charging dock is quite sensitive and can easily lose its contact

- sometimes the battery runs out too quickly even though usage is low

- where do we get mp3 files nowadays? Music today are being streamed!

- the GPS location feature takes a little too long to refresh even though it does its job. I would prefer it to be more accurate and more instant. 


All in all, I really do enjoy myFirst Fone R1s better than R1. Its reliability has definitely improved and now that my children are starting their commutes on their own, we are all heavily dependent on the watch to stay connected. They'd text me on the go, call me when they alight the bus and send me an emoji or voice recording when they reach their school.

I am not ready to give them a mobile phone at this age [8 and 10] and quite possibly not at all in Primary School. Therefore, the R1s is my best alternative despite the watch having some functions like the accuracy of their GPS tracking system being inexact. With that, I rely heavily on calls and messaging to pinpoint their location more than the GPS. 

This is the trade-off I'm willing to take for Internet Safety, Gaming and Addiction a mobile phone will create. While some families may find a mobile phone handier, I personally feel otherwise. 

Do read what the basic features R1 has to offer if you need more information on the SOS button, Camera, Security and Class Mode functions. The following features of the new R1s are on top of the previous R-version:

1) 4G VOICE DATA CALL, VIDEO CALL AND MESSAGING

The Calls and Video Calls have improved in connection and reliability from the previous versions. I absolutely love the new Messaging system which included the possibility of sharing photos to one another! What is the big deal you might ask? It increases the connectivity between parent and child a whole lot more than just voice messaging, texts and emojis! 

This mommy was scouring the web for inspirational quotes and jokes to spam the kiddos! They love it. Especially the jokes of course! It is also a conversational starter for them and their friends over recess too when I unlock the watch from Class Mode for a quick 10 minute connection with me.

Sometimes I would take pictures of their furSister and send it to them. Gypsie's big face covering their watch face will always send them going "Awwwww!"

This Is My Favourite New Feature Yet!

And look at the various Strap colours you can purchase in addition to the default strap that comes with your child's MyFirst Fone at just S$16 more! 



2) MULTIPLE PRESET TEXTS FOR CHATS

Because the watch face is small, it does not allow the child to write text messages. If they would like to convey something to us, they have to do a voice recording instead. In this watch version, preset texts like "I'm Sorry", "Okie Dokie", "Never Mind" and more can be sent to their watch friends or family with just a quick click of a finger. 

It would be even better if parents can preset additional texts from the app! Food for thought.

3) NEW USER INTERFACE DESIGN

The new user interface has a lot more to offer this time round. Especially with the new animated wallpapers, it brings the watch to life! 

However, I noticed that my kids were more interested in customising their wallpaper with Gypsie's photographs instead! Turning on the watch and seeing their pet dog smiling back at them brightens their day a whole lot more than fancy animations. Gypsie is Family.

4) PERSONALISED REMINDER VIA VOICE RECORDING

This one's a fun feature to have. I did not realise it until Ewan started playing with his watch and I heard his own voice reverberated in the house when the alarm rang! 

"SNACK TIME! SNACK TIME! SNACK TIME!" rang repeatedly from his watch at 3pm sharp. We had a good laugh and stopped all we did to grab a snack from the pantry. 

I think I shall surprise them with my own voice some day. Maybe I could sing a song, have it recorded and set it as a wake-up call in the mornings! 

5) HEART RATE MONITORING

This feature came in useful when the kids took their Covid Vaccination at the start of this year. As we were advised to keep strenuous exercises at bay for two weeks, I had a bar set in their watches to remind them when their heart rate goes beyond a certain bpm. It will remind them to slow down or stop. 

Since I cannot be there in school to control their physical activities over Recess, the watch helped me with that. From my app, I can monitor their heart rates via a line graph in my app as well.


6) FITNESS BADGES TO MOTIVATE KIDS TO MOVE 

This fun insert into the new R1s is a hit with my kids! While Faye enjoys it, Ewan takes his step counts very seriously. They can track distance, calories and steps from my app which intrigues them. 

There is a daily goal of 5000 steps and the children can unlock badges which tells them how much they walked or ran thus far! Ewan has hit a record of 1601km since the start of the year and that has brought him to "Italy"! 

COMPARE R1 AND R1s

SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION

The minimum contract period is 12 months with a deposit of S$60. Upon subscription, you will receive one piece of kid's smartwatch and a SIM card with a random number. After the 12 months subscription, the device is yours to keep.

During the 12 months of rental subscription period, myFirst will cover the warranty including battery performance, LCD performance, GPS signal performance but not inclusive of human error like water damage, screen crack due to negligence, screen protector crack, wear and tear of the strap or physical damage on the case or scratches on the screen. 

... ... ...
DISCOUNT CODE
R-Plan for R1s
1 Year Subscription 
Deposit: S$60
Upfront Fee: S$40

or

R-Plan or R1
1 Year Subscription
Deposit: S$60

Get First Month FREE
"MAYFIRSTFREE"


More Support Questions and Answers here which I recommend every parent reads!


Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. I really liked your blog post on undefined. The first sentence made me chuckle and I think that's what sets the tone for your blog post. The article was well written and the topic was interesting. By the way, I appreciated the article on how to capture the essence of a holiday with a vacation photographer.
    Hamlyn Heights vet

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts