Chinese Dictionary: Manual or Electronic

He is off for his p4 Final Year Chinese Composition Paper today! During one of our home practice last week, he blurted out in exasperation while flipping the Chinese dictionary, “Mom… do you know I’m the only one in class still using this book dictionary? EVERYONE owns an Electronic Dictionary!” 

To be honest, I didn’t know. I was very surprised because I thought I was like most parents and we would delay any kind automatic help of as much as possible. I realised then that I could be a little too backward in my thinking.

In their Primary 3 booklist, there will be an inclusion of approved Chinese dictionaries they can purchase. I was adamant that I shall not introduce an Electronic Dictionary to him. I won’t even talk about it so that he doesn’t know its existence! Well of course he would soon find out from his classmates.


My rationale was simple: If we are learning to drive, we should learn how to drive a Manual. An Automatic car is a no-brainer and can be picked up easily. This way, we will know both the Manual and Automatic ways of life. When faced with a Manual car, we would still possess the skill to drive it. It doesn’t work the other way round. 

The same goes to a “Manual” Dictionary and Electronic Dictionary. 

I introduced the traditional way of counting strokes and reading Han Yu Pin Yin to Ewan since Primary One. There were tears and frustrations for two whole years! Soon, he became quite an expert at it. I am very proud of his coverless and backless Chinese dictionary. He used it so much [even during comprehension reading] that I had to staple torn pages back from angry flipping.

Many say it’s faster to use an Electronic Dictionary especially when there are 10 words to search for with so little time on hand! I say, “He is supposed to know how to write all these words and not touch the dictionary at all! We did not have the privilege of using a dictionary or calculator in Primary School exams?” Oh I’m such an old-fashioned wart. 

When Ewan lamented how he was the only one using a paper dictionary, I relented and decided to loan one from my nephew to give it a try. I placed the two dictionaries on his table and taught him how to navigate the fancy one. It does indeed look promising! I reminded him to bring the loaned Electronic Dictionary to school and get approval from his Chinese teacher. 


As today drew nearer, the examination day, he decided to bring along his trusty 796-page dictionary instead. Why? “I realised, when I want to look for 患 in 有备无患, I just have to find yǒu 有 and the entirety of 有备无患 is there! And I can be sure that is the correct 患 to use. Not just 换, 还, or 幻 or the millions of ‘huan’ the Electronic Dictionary shows me.” 

On a separate occasion, Ewan was looking for the word "et cetera" in the electronic dictionary. 等. When he typed "deng", a whole lot came up from 第一声 to 第四声! But when he went to his book dictionary, only one with 第三声 was available. So he knew right there and then that it was the correct word. That it was probably more reliable.

Ok! What works for you son! I’m also glad you are skilled enough to do it the traditional way. 

Back to Basics and they never fail you. Many basics in life are already losing its place in our fast-paced automatic world. I am hoping to keep some intact. 

Most importantly, the dictionary isn’t there to help you find 10 words. We should aim not to use it at all during the examinations. Whether it is flipping through pages or clicking electronic buttons, they are both a waste of time. Now that's me talking at Primary 4. I don't know what is expected of them by PSLE! We might really need to make this switch. 

I love driving a Manual car and I love dog-eared, well-thumbed Chinese dictionaries. 

Here's sharing how to make it easier for your child when introducing the Chinese dictionary. 

Note: for school exams, bookmarks and highlights or annotations in dictionaries are not allowed. Your child is also required to get his/her dictionary approved by their teachers with a stamp or sticker. We use this highlighted one for home use and I have an exact brand new dictionary for exam use. 

1. Bookmark 部首查字表 for an easy page flip


2. Highlight the title to every 部首 for easy recognition


3. Purchase MOE approved dictionaries
[we use 新编小学实用词典]


4. Staple loose pages and never stop learning

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts