Why I Don't Let My Children Watch Squid Game

I don’t want to judge or try to understand why children below the age of 18 are/had watched Squid Game. Every family has a different show appetite and if parents have briefed their children well enough or think they are able to handle the goriness of the show, I shan’t be judgemental about it. 

That said, I have my own rules as mother to my two little ones. 

Netflix gives a series of content warnings including sex, violence and suicide to the show and with that, I just deduced it will not be appropriate for Ewan and Faye. As an adult, I look forward to every episode because I was interested to know how the survivors get out of every game. Yet, my brows were perpetually frowned and eyes narrowed at the cruelty of the show. One good thing came out of this I must say! I now know how to win a game of Tug-Of-War! That was very clever.

I did not think it was necessary to bring up this show to my children’s attention. After all, they wouldn’t have heard or seen it anywhere while on HBL. Both tucked safely in the arms of their home and away from external exposures.

Just two days back to school this week and Faye came home telling me her classmate blurted it out in class, “I watched Squid Game.” They are a bunch of seven year olds. I was glad her form teacher picked that up and handled the situation, according to Faye. 

At the sound of “GAME”, Ewan’s ears perked up like an eager bunny, “Oh! What game is that? They have to chase after a squid?” 

Alas. I decided I should quickly fill them in about Squid Game and its dangers. How copy-catting and reinventing harmless childhood games could form precarious actions and afterthoughts. At the least, they should hear it from mommy first. The last thing I want is a re-enactment of the games being played in school or a dare [like a tik-tok dare] or even the idea that lives are cheap. 

I told them the gist of the story and why I would like them to sit out of any Squid Game invitations at school or playground, “If children start playing these games and ‘killing’ losers, they may one day grow up thinking it’s probably alright since it was something they used to play in their childhood. So I would like you to not accept any play invitations to any Squid Games, persuade them to not play it and report it to an authoritative figure if you saw it. Children may not understand the repercussions but should they be in any danger, at least an adult is made known to it and could probably stop a crime from happening.”



Maybe I made it sound all too serious but I am not taking chances because Life Is Not Cheap.

Violence aside, there is a sex scene in a toilet cubicle for one of its episodes. I think this is highly inappropriate for any underage child to witness.

More importantly, I asked them how they felt about the “game” I just shared? Their answers will give me a hint about their thought process. 

Ewan: I think it is a silly game. How is the prize money worth it if 455 people have to die for one person to win? 

Good son. Good. 

Faye: Don't say any more. It is giving me a nightmare. Let's think of Unicorns! And Cupcakes and Rainbows!

Let us stick to Hopscotch and Chalk Play.


At a foundational level, I personally feel I need to set their expectations for life right. Their thought-processes need to be sound and they should learn to decipher dangers from internet scams to sexual abuse.  These skills have to come through me, their mother. When they come of age, their decisions will be then theirs to make. That is when they will bear the consequences of any wrong-doings they choose to undertake. Don't you think?

We play similar childhood games as “Green Light Red Light”. It is called “What is the time now, Mr Wolf?” and I must say turning around and chasing players in hearty giggles ain’t as scary as watching a blood bath. 

Neither do I think it's clever or exciting about the real-life Squid Game happening now in Abu Dhabi for 30 participants even though it is murder-free and the winning prize is just the a customised green tracksuit.

 

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!

A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts