When In Doubt, Choose Honesty

Last week, Ewan came back from school with lots of homework. Most of them Chinese Composition, Chinese Composition Drafts and English Composition Drafts. I think there were 4 stories to write in total. I was flabbergasted! He usually takes the entire afternoon just to complete one composition. How was he going to do four that day?

It was also the day he goes for his drums and martial arts lessons after school. I give him those days off  [drums and Taekwondo days] from any kind of academic work to simply enjoy the day to do what he loves. Looks like he ain't going to get away with 

With that workload from school, I dropped his 2 hour martial arts lesson to an hour, not wanting to burn him out. By the time we reached home to start on his homework, it was already 5pm! 

The clock was ticking. 


My only rule to him was, “You have to finish them by 7.30pm because that is sleeping time. If you cannot get it done by then, please let your teacher know why.” 

It was 7.20pm and he had one last Chinese Composition to complete. Ewan was spent and although he was initially worried about not being able to complete his work, he could no longer fight every cell in his body to  write another word. 

He prepped his speech for his Chinese teacher: 老师对不起。我做不完你的功课因为今天放学后,我还要去上别的课。英文老师也给我功课。我明天会交给你。Sorry teacher, I can’t finish your homework because I have lessons after school. My English teacher gave me homework too. I’ll hand up tomorrow. 

Ewan proceeded to pack up and head for bed. As he was finishing up, he told me maybe he should just leave this piece of homework at home and tell his teacher he had forgotten to bring. That sounds like an easier excuse to give. 
*hahah* I laughed and gave him my motherly advise, “No lah. Whatever you do, choose honesty please. Purposely not putting it in your bag is considered a lie.” 

The first thing he said to me when I picked him the next day was, “The rest of the class who didn’t hand up their homework got scolded, but I wasn't! She did not scold me and told me it’s ok to hand up tomorrow.” 

Mommy was so very curious why! 

“What did you tell her!” I asked. 

He told me in a quite matter-of-factly manner which made me burst out laughing, “我妈妈说七点要睡觉!不可以做了。” [My mother sent me to bed at 7pm and did not allow me to do anymore work] 

He definitely took my word into account and highly regarded it! He Chose Honesty! *hahahahahaha*

I made sure he wrote a stellar piece for that work he owed his teacher.   

You see, honesty is the best policy. My parenting style stems from my father who taught me a lesson or two about balancing health and responsibility. He got me crying when he turned my lights off in Secondary School, "I don't care if you get zero for your test tomorrow. It is sleeping time now and if you waited only to the last moment to study, there are consequences like this to bear."

Do you also prioritise sleep over work for your children? 

Would you ask your kids to cook up a simple excuse or encourage them to own up?

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!

A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. I just want to thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice Information I’ve ever seen i like it i learn something today. Pest Inspection Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly valuable and honest advice - well done mum!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts