Small Spaces: Ergonomic Workstation Home Hacks

My first physiotherapy session’s done and dusted. An hour of understanding what is and what’s to come. When asked if I am a disciplined person, I chuckled a resounding NO. Yet, I know it’s not the time to take it any more lightly than I previously had. 

So this morning, I did my physio-recommended exercises before I started Tuesday. Faye forced me to hit the pool with her and kept chanting, “Doctor says you need to exercise. You swim!” When I tried to carry her in the pool, she put two hands up, “No! You cannot carry me! Doctor said.” Tsk… When in water, no strain will be put on my back right? So I thought it’ll be a good chance to 抱抱 her. I laughed and loved how my seven year old is taking care of me. I was a good mommy girl; I listened. 

On top of the daily exercises, I was recommended to change my working arrangement at home. How excited was I to get started! Yet another styling job on hand to make my space prettier. And one to be done without having to spend more money on Ergo furnishings. Just some old-school home hacks. 

To relief the lower back and neck strain, I had to: 

(1) Position my laptop at eye level I used these vintage hardbacks to boost the height of my lappy and they look too good to be true! Removing the book sleeves unveiled Hard Truths and Conversations. No better way to Antique my space.

(2) Place another keyboard at waist level At first, I thought this was absurd. I mean look; the laptop already has its own set of keys. Yet now, I have to externally bluetooth another up on the table? That is two keyboards with one staying redundant! Well, we all know why this is required. 

(3) Sit right back at the end of the chair Something I’ve never quite done. If I ever did, I would make myself comfortable by crossing my legs on the chair. Otherwise, I am usually at the edge of my chair. 

(4) Knees 90 degrees under the table No more; no less. With me sitting right at the back of my chair, I am unable to achieve the 90 degree requirement. My physiotherapist recommended I prop my feet up with a foot stool. One that is just the right height to achieve and not over-achieve the 90 degree angle. I used a cardboard box I found at home. 






To relief mental stress, May’s Own Rules: Add a pot of flowers [I need fresh ones weekly now!] and a watercolored portrait on both sides of workspace! Oh yes, and give the laptop a new wallpaper to remind self about how beautiful life is despite the sufferings.



These working positioning tips apply to all including our children. Not just people like me suffering from a bad back. So take heed! Take care of our children's working positions in future Home-Based Learning seshes. 


Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts