2021 [Faye]: New Beginnings at School

Faye is in Primary One! Today is her seventh day in school and it is also her first day on her own without my presence hovering around her. Because of COVID-19, the children's Primary School has dropped the buddy system at recess. They have also decreased the number of days parents are allowed to hang around during recess to observe their children - from three days to one. Which meant, they are relying a lot on Parent Volunteers' help to assist the new students at arrival, recess and dismissal. 

I raised my hands to offer my time every single day of the first week. Then the school requested we came in for another week just to provide added support. I gladly raised my hand for it too.

Day One: I assumed Faye would be confident and raring to go. Alas. I was wrong.  I was surprised when she dragged herself out of bed on her first morning with little excitement. Faye teared at home and she teared in school. It all boiled down to, “Why 哥哥 isn’t going to school with me?” and “What?! There won’t be any Buddy System? Why!” 

Awwwww she had been looking forward to Primary School to see her brother and to be brought around by a big sister from the upper primary. She held onto my hand so tightly but I knew I had to let go no matter how much I wanted to sit right next to her in class. I unclenched her fingers from mine and handed her over to her teacher before going about my volunteering duties. 

Mommy hid behind the door to watch her and she stopped crying as soon as she sat down. 

By recess, she was a trooper and bought a bowl of noodle soup for herself! When she reached home, she was deliriously happy; telling me stories from the day. 

I asked her, "Did you make any friends?" 

She replied and gave me a ridiculous look, "No! It's only Day One!"

Tomorrow’s going to be a happier Day Two for this slow-starter because Ewan will be bringing her in and walking her out at dismissal.

Day Two: 哥哥 walked her in and I was told by another parent volunteer who observed the sight that Ewan held her hand and got her seated down at her seat before he left for his own class.  

He told her to find out the name of two classmates today. That was her task but I doubt she will do it. She's not exactly proactive when it comes to making friends. In fact, I saw a girl went up to her to say a few words but later walked back to her seat dejected. 

I sounded Faye out, "Oh! What did she say?"

My daughter shared with me, "She asked me if I wanted to be friends but I did not answer her."

Well well well. She said she needed time to think *haha*

She then excitedly shared about two sleepy male classmates who were uh-hmm sleeping in class. "I walked up to my teacher and told her the boys were sleeping." Oh! So now she IS PROACTIVE. When it comes to calling people out, she has a voice! *haha* Prefect material like her mommy, daddy and grandmother [my mom was Head Prefect *woots*]. 

"My teacher told them to stand up to keep themselves awake. Then she started playing Simon Says with us. One of the things she said was “Simon Says Sit Down”. Then the two boys sat down! Wrong right? They were being punished. So I told them they have to Stand Up!"

Hey Faye! *hahaha* You are just like your mommy. Black is Black. White is White. I was "disciplining" so many kids in Primary School and jotting their names down in my little Prefect book until the Disciplinarian Master pulled me aside and said, "Liang May, it's okay to let people off sometimes. You don't have to write so many names in your book." 

Day Six: You were so happy to see me at recess and I was all smiles when I saw you. But I had to maintain professionalism to hold not only your hand but the hands of your schoolmates too. You've bought fried noodles many days in a row and doing well at it. Proud of all you little ones in school who had proven yourselves well to the adults that the school decided to cut recess assistance from Parent Volunteers from Day Seven onwards. 

I love seeing how systematic you are at recess. You bring your mask box down together with your wallet and water bottle. When I told your classmates to wash hands before eating, you asked me if you could buy your food first, wash hands then eat. Because it makes more hygiene sense like that since you have to handle money at the stalls. Well done girl! 

Yes! Purchase your food, wash hands, mask-in-box, makan, return plate, clean table, wash hands, mask-on. I observed you and you did all these without missing a step. Loving how organised you are *claps hands*

 Day Seven: Today, Faye wouldn't be seeing me hanging around in school and she got nervous. 

"No! What? You are not coming? I won't be able to buy my food in the canteen! I cannot not see you. I won't be able to do it! Maybe I'll eat from the snack box." she shot her words out like a bullet train with tears welling up in her eyes.

I assured her that she will be able to because she was buying her own food yesterday and the day prior. I was only standing from afar observing her so all she needs is a little bit of a push. I wonder what she bought and ate today! And I am sure she will be fine. She is a worrywart at times [and again, just like me].

"Would you like to call me at recess Faye? I have placed many 10 cents in your wallet and you've got my number yes?" I encouraged her. 

Ewan added, "Ya! Call mommy. I'll show you how at recess."

But our very sharp daughter reminded him, "We don't have the same recess. How are you going to bring me?"

I'm just glad we made this decision on a coed primary school. We want to forge a deep sibling relationship in the early years and this was one of our ways to do that. Knowing that Faye is in the exact same class as Ewan when he when he was in Primary One [coincidence], made their eyes sparkle. They felt special. Her brother is also now in a new class in Primary Three, just two stories [directly] above her. They shared stories of where their seats were and got a bigger surprise to find out that they are both third row from the teacher's table!

"Oh my! How coincidental! You can imagine an invisible string between you and 哥哥 that runs right out the window to level four whenever you are feeling jittery. He's right above your head and she's right below you at your feet! You guys are not here alone" I reinforced with my analogy to boost confidence and assurance in the children. 

 

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. I appreciate your work and knowledge. I will recommend this blog to others, more people will get the information and help. For the best quality information and quick updates
    ICC T20 World Cup 2021 Schedule
    t20 world cup schedule pdf

    t20 world cup schedule

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts