A Mom’s Pride: My Child Understands The True Meaning Of Gifting


This is any mom’s greatest Christmas gift. 

I had other plans for tonight after the kids turned in but writing this took precedence over everything else. 

The reason being, my first-born exemplified his understanding of gifting with emotions so big he himself couldn’t handle. And that made my husband and I felt extremely proud of this boy. 

Daddy gave the kids an empty cardboard box this evening, “Go clear your room and put in all the toys you don’t want. Make sure they aren’t spoilt so we can still give them away to other children.” It was a good way to clear the space from toys they haven’t played in a long while. 

When the box was full, I took a casual look into it. Oh my goodness! I was getting emotional myself. Ewan put away his Hulkbuster? The very toy he brought along on our travels because it is his favourite? The one that fills up quite a bit of our luggage and we still let him bring along on our holidays because the last trip we didn’t, he bawled his eyes to sleep on our hotel bed. 

I gasped, “Wow Ewan! You are giving up Hulkbuster? Wah daddy! I can’t believe it!” I couldn’t believe he was growing up so quickly. It was a toy daddy bought him when he was, I think, four. Well, there are many toys he easily forgets but Hulkbuster has been with him for many years now. 


Even though his burly red fighting machine no longer talks because he was spoilt a long time ago, it always sits in his toy cupboard for sentimental reasons. 

On second thoughts, Ewan picked his battered toy out of his box and put it back into his cupboard. The next thing I heard was Faye asking him, “Kor Kor, why are you crying?” I found Ewan crying into his pillow and asked if he hurt himself. If he fell or stepped on something. 

In between cries, he said he was crying because he loves Hulkbuster very much. Yet he feels he should give it away to some kid else because giving his favourite toy away is the best gift to give isn’t it? 

My jaw dropped. To be honest, I wasn't willing to part with Hulkbuster but looks like my son has the bigger heart. 

I had told the children this maybe twice in their lifetimes. That the true meaning of gifting isn’t about giving something we don’t want away. The best gift to give a loved one is something that is prized, our favourite, our best. I had them packed two luggage full of gifts for orphans in Cambodia in 2016 when they were four years old and two years old. Reminding them to include their favourite books too [not just books they no longer read] and Ewan did so with tears in his eyes. But when he gave it to them, I saw joy in his smiles.

Many adults still do not understand this concept. I have my parents to thank for imparting such knowledge to me so that I can pass this on to my children. 

I was heartened to hear that he kept what I said in his heart. 

He burst into tears because he was torn. He wanted the child receiving his Hulkbuster to be the happiest kid in town but he was also going to miss Hulkbuster very much. He cried because he said he didn’t know what to do. It was a difficult decision. 

I kept a recording of our conversation, filed under “Ewan-Videos-2020-Dec13” if you want to find it in our server Ewan, but that’s private for our ears only. 

Mommy told him that he should sleep on it and decide again tomorrow when his head and heart is clearer after a good night’s rest. That he will have an answer the next day and shouldn’t bother himself with such a heavy decision tonight. The question he should be asking himself is, “Will I be happy if I see the child love my Hulkbuster as much as I?” 

Regardless of his decision, what is most important is that he’s got to be ready for this give-away. When that day comes, either tomorrow or another time, we are sure he’ll unlock yet another self discovery on life. But tonight, I already received my biggest Christmas present from him - he understands the true meaning of gifting at eight years old.

My heart is full. This boy is going to turn out fine no matter how mischievous/impolite/impatient he is today. 



Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts