Twenty Years 1998 to 2018: He Tatts For Love

Meyer and I own a shared calendar. We have access to each other's days and some time last week, I received a notification that read, "Moonstruck, 10am." Obviously, I gave him a quick text about it, "You are touching down from Italy and going straight to the tattoo parlour? Oh my goodness! What are you gong to do this time?"

He didn't want to let me know and assured me it will be a nice surprise.

My husband was going to etch my name to his heart! In a literal manner. 

It was a beautiful gesture but I was nervous about it. His initial stance about my-children-are-blood-and-they-are-forever-but-wife-is-not-blood changed. My husband decided to have me part of his body art for his third tatt. I was first flattered then worried. After seeing it, I saw commitment.

Worried not because of possible infection *haha* worried because what if the unthinkable happens? Will I be Mrs Yang forever? Nothing is guaranteed but it was touching of him to say that 20 years is worth inking because it is still memory. His kind of marriage vow renewal.

My husband designed this on his own! I couldn't understand what the rings around my name meant. Why 2008? We got married in 2007 and technically, we started dating in 1998! So really, 2008 holds no special place in my heart.

He explained, "One ring for a decade. We started in 1998 so 10 years later, it is 2008 and another 10 makes now, 2018."

His tattoo artist, Sam, asked him how many rings was he expecting to go round because they need to plan for the future and he said, "Five".

Five coffee mark stains! That is 50 years. We would be 66 and 67 by then.

Meyer was very proud of what he had put together for this one. The inner-most circle was inked in Silver to mark the 10th Anniversary. The second circle was inked in Emerald to mark 20 years. The third would be Green, fourth Ruby Red and Gold for our 50th year together.

While people start counting their anniversary years from their wedding, we had a good nine years prior to that official bind. It was worth counting for.


Tatts are for life and I wanted to have an opinion on that he has in mind. Just in case you know he wants to put something I cannot bear looking at for the rest of my life *haha* So at the tattoo parlour, I was opinionated about making it all monochrome, to add his name, to ink it somewhere else or to not include my family name but just 媚. I even tried dissuading him to it lest he regrets! But he stood his ground and went forth with his original idea. In fact, I haven't seen him so decisive before.

Meyer did his first in 2012 for his first-born and his second in 2014 for Faye. I remember how he kept asking for assurance  from our gynaecologist that his babies in utero were indeed a boy and a girl. Otherwise, imagine EWAN will need to be changed to EWANA on his right arm if our baby did came out the opposite gender!

He tatts for love. Love is not only something you feel, it is something you do. I guess he went all out literally with it. This time, the whole family went along and it was a significant moment. For me at least.


Ewan and Faye didn't know where they were when we arrived. It was a place with toys, two beds and Netflix! The children entertained themselves with Booba and curious Faye asked only one whole hour later, "There are so many paints! I want to do painting. Hmmm Daddy, what are you doing?"

"Oh daddy is getting a tattoo done. Would you like to watch?" I offered.

They were laughing, dancing and only complained after we announced that daddy was done. Ewan chirped, "So fast? But where is that Tiger on your back?"

*hahaahhahaah*

No tigers Ewan. Daddy is contemplating a handsome looking dragon to complement your name next if anything. I actually think that's awful but this is his body right? Hmmm...

It was painful he said but just like pregnancy, he has forgotten how painful it was.

The children saw tinges of blood around the rings and Ewan felt the pain for his dad. He took his dad's arm and gave it a hug. "Daddy, why don't you to tattoo 爸爸 妈妈 哥哥 妹妹 somewhere on your body." he added. Then I suggested, "Oh that's nice! How about Ewan write it and we have your penmanship inked!"


I hadn't wanted to post any of these pictures because I felt like it was too personal to share. I even told him to not go shirtless ever again because I don't want people to see it! But he was so proud of it, he said he would go work out even more and of course go swimming shirtless.

From the drawing board to the actual tattoo, thank you for this painful gift!

Today. Twenty years. Happy Halloween's!



Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.



Faye when I picked her up from school the next day, "I hope daddy's body is okay now."

Ewan saw the picture of daddy's tatt and commented with a smile, "Daddy is so nice. He puts all our names on his body but so poor thing too because it is so painful."

Comments

Popular Posts