On Memory Lane: Plaza Singapura

The old Plaza Singapura holds so much memories for the old kids. I had always wanted to pay this Yip YC mural a visit because the visuals he shared on the web for this project were extremely nostalgic! A set of parents and a little girl with candy floss - the exact same image I could relate too as I shopped with my parents at Plaza Singapura when I was six.




Nat [so.natty.sg] and I had to make this trip to Plaza Singapura because we have a secret party to attend on the 11th of February 2017. A big craft project that requires us to scour the aisles of Spotlight for materials. With only 10 days before the big day, we had no more time to waste!

Just before I left home at 0900 hours, it suddenly dawned on me that a mural visit would make not only my day but hers [her birthday] as well! I sent a quick Facebook message to Yip YC to enquire the whereabouts of his Plaza Singapura mural and was thankful he replied me in time for this birthday treat for Missy Natty

LOCATION
"Hi, it is at ground floor near the taxi stand alley way to the main podium."

I went to the taxi stand and back-tracked. Hmmm what does he mean by main podium? I must admit I got lost a little because I did not expect the murals to be indoors! All his murals [those that I'd visited] were showcased on large open walls under the sun and naturally, I was looking out for large empty walls while on my guided hunt.

These Plaza Singapura memoirs, created in September 2016, lined an alleyway from the Taxi Stand into Plaza Singapura's main building [or from Plaza Singapura out to the Taxi Stand]! I was disappointed that there were no natural daylight and that it was so tight we had to stick out bodies to the opposite wall and looked through the viewfinder to get a wider landscape shot.

If I may guide you there with a map:


We had to depend on passer-bys to photograph us and had learnt that if we wanted great shots, we had better not worry too much about image. Just do it! While it may be deemed as embarrassing should we be in our teens, motherhood gave us this courage to just stop a willing-looking passer-by to help with our shots without feeling like a fool.

As we were admiring the artwork, Nat shouted out, "Ponderosa! I remember Ponderosa!" Erm... I don't! What is Ponderosa? *hahah* I only remember Yaohan, music stores and that alien-looking statue!

The mural gives a glimpse at the history of the endearing first generation shopping mall to today's modernised building.

 Yip YC is painting a lot faster than I can catch up! I wonder which mural we will be visiting next.

Written and published on Natasha Bounaparte's birthday! Be proud of your age. *winks*


We have a MURALS tab on the main page of this blog. There, you will be guided to other street art walkabouts we've undertook in Singapore and Penang. 

 . 
 Street Art of George Town

A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts