Handwritten Letters from our Four Year Old


I am a letter-writing kind of person. Meyer and I used to write many letters between us even in the tech age - smudged ink and stamped. I would write him when I holidayed with my parents in Korea and he stayed up late to write about his trip to Langkawi with his. Even though the letters may reach us only after we've returned from our vacations, these are precious keepsakes I treasure. 

Snail mails give you little flutters in your tummies. The anticipation in receiving a new mail can be intoxicating unlike electronic mails where you click REFRESH and you have 10 new [work] mails in that damned virtual box.  

Receiving a physical letter in hand involves walking a distance [although it's just downstairs], making several trips because the letter may not have arrived yet and opening it with excitement. Sometimes you may not make it home to read that long-awaited letter. Sometimes you will just slump yourself against the letter box and start chuckling to yourself from the sentimental words that were written.

Today, we rely so much on technology that we have stopped writing with a pen and paper. 

The school year had just started for our children and we were already been given a task in the first month. Stuck neatly in Ewan's communication book was a mandatory call for parents to write a short letter to their children to strengthen the bond between them. The school believes that letter writing further builds an interest in reading and writing besides the aid of books and activity sheets. Frankly, I concur. 

So I wrote on behalf of mommy & daddy, a letter to our four year old and dropped it into the made-shift mailbox outside Ewan's classroom. I added a picture of his favourite dinosaur because a letter filled with words is just too dry for a kid.





I was so touched to receive a note from his teachers in his communication book that Ewan found our letter "sweet". *hahah* Cute little fella.

If this is the kind of thing that touches his heart and makes him appreciate his family more than anything else, I would gladly write him letters all the time. This is a safe proof that he will appreciate what I am doing now; filling this blog with my thoughts and love for his reading pleasure when he turns 10 right? *crosses fingers*

As part of the theme "My Neighbourhood", this is an activity revolving around the topic of the postman and the post office as a build up to the field trip to Singapore Philatelic Museum. The teachers kept it a secret that parents will receive a reply to the letter we wrote. Unfortunately, I chanced upon a one-on-one session of his teacher and classmate writing a Dear Mommy letter when I walked in to ask a question. *argh* So, I had been waiting. I knew they would be posting their letters at the museum on 3rd February 2017. I had never opened our mail box so diligently before - going on a daily basis just to wait for Ewan's letter to us. 




In respond to our letter to him on the reasons why we scold him for, he wrote his desire for us to not reprimand him anymore [in mandarin]. He shared that he will get the things he need to do done on his own and that he loved playing with us. Digressing out of the topic, he added that he would like to eat a biscuit when he got home. *hahah* How child-like for being random like that! I love it that the letter doesn't sound doctored and it was all that he wanted to convey to us. His teacher was just lending him her penmanship to put his thoughts into words. He rounded up the letter with wanting to give his sister, his father and I three hearts [which he never fails to tell us every night at bedtime following his I Love Yous].

I thought it was rather heartwarming that he returned us a drawing too [for the Stegosaurus i drew him]! A Ewan-Version of our family. I can see where he got his stick-man genes from [yours truly]. 

Every parent in the K1 and K2 classes must be bursting with pride from the letters they received or will soon to receive in the coming days. I appreciate this beautifully thought through activity by their teachers and it definitely brought back the good old letter-writing days for us all. Words are often felt a lot more when written with a pen. Don't you think?

Won't you consider exchanging letters with your children soon?

Now. Can anyone tell me where I can buy a stamp book? I would like to start a stamp collection with him!

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts