Christmas Craft: A Tin Soldier Terrarium

I wanted to make one last Terrarium for the year with the children. A Christmas themed terrarium no less. Having done *counting* six terrariums between myself with Ewan (with professional help), I thought I'd challenge myself to conduct this home workshop myself! I've put it as an activity for Day Four on the Christmas Advent Calendar and crossing my fingers that it'll turn out looking chic!

However, I decided, "No Soil, No Drainages and No Live Plants." The fact is, I cannot remember the sequence and keeping them alive had been quite a challenge for us. Watering plants is definitely the last on my daily chores list. For that reason, I decided to put together a Christmas jar that required zero care. Throw in some berries, a tin soldier and acorns would make it look all festive enough to adorn the dining table.


Our Materials:
- a glass jar
- a tin soldier
- a wreath of leaves
- a packet of golden stars
- a packet of acorns
- a packet of cotton

I zipped Faye into Vivo City this morning and did our shopping for the props. It was a last minute (like on the fly kind of decision) decision to change today's advent calendar activity to terrarium making. Our material cost amounted up to S$15.50 with the tin soldier purchased at Lim's Arts & Living for S$7.50 and the rest from Daiso. The glass jar is an existing one we owned at home so technically no cost? An affordable budget for a home DIY session with the family that doesn't look the least bit tacky! I did not have a clue as to how many golden stars or acorns should reside in that miniature Christmas garden. We just sat down together and took into consideration everyone's opinions to create this awesome work of art. I guess, this is the kind of creative luxury a SAHM gets to indulge in with their brood to fill a lazy afternoon. And I am loving this opportunity!

The children didn't quite enjoy it though and really had most fun dropping props into the jar. After a while, the son announced that he wanted to paint instead.


Gosh but I loved how it turned out! It looks so pretty, I am thinking of making a dozen just to give them out as gifts! Looking forward to clearing my dining table (once again) and placing this as its centrepiece. I wonder why it is so difficult to keep the table clean for more than a week and this problem arises only after kids. Same problem mommies?


Christmas Craft Links 

Day 5
Christmas Advent Calendar Activity
A Christmas Wreath

Day 6
Christmas Advent Calendar Activity
A Gingerbread House

Day 8
Christmas Advent Calendar Activity
A Christmas Artwork

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. Very creative! I really enjoyed reading your blog as you inspired me to do the same with my kiddo. Christmas times are happy times. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful Michelle! I have more Christmas Crafts coming up on the blog and one of them is making a Gingerbread House! That is a workshop though. I'm not good enough to DIY an edible Gingerbread House *hehe*

      Delete
  2. Nice work! I can imagine my kids will rather paint too and I will enjoy this more on my own. Hahaha. As for the table, erm, mine gets messy after one day, not one week! Hahaha. Love your ideas and looking forward to more sharing! Thanks for linking up with Creativity 521! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! hhahahha One day ah. Ya lah.. Sometimes it also takes a day to quickly fill up my dining table. Like right now! Gotta clean up AGAIN! haha So the next day, we did painting. Foot Prints and Hand Prints haha They liked that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts