Written for Sentimental Reasons

When I look at those peaceful tiny faces at bedtime, I couldn’t help but feel love bursting through my ribs. I must say you will never know a mother’s love until you become a mother yourself. How cliché but hey if ever your mom said, “以后妳做了妈妈你就知道!”, Believe Her. She's sharing from experience. 

As children, we are willful. We chase freedom and we feel that it is our right to be taken care of. Besides, our parents have been doing that their whole lives isn't it? Giving in to us, loving us and making sure we get the best of everything they can offer. We know they've got our backs no matter what and really? Even if we screwed up, they will be there licking our paws and making sure all hurt goes away. These are what parents do and it's instinctive. They are there when you need them. Never failing, never faltering. 

You, my babies, are reciprocating the love we shower you every day and we are relishing every moment right now. When we smile at you, you give us your brightest chuckles. When we hold your hands, you give us your tightest squeeze. When we pick you from school, you run to us with your loudest squeals. When we walk away from you, you cry for our return. I especially love the way you lay your heads on my chest and stay there silently as I return a warm embrace. It is sad to know that all these are so temporal. We are relishing every moment right now because with each waking day, you are a different person. You grow up and live a day closer to an independent individual. A tween, a teen and then into that young adult who thinks you've got the world in your hands. You wouldn't remember that you've once needed us so much and we always turn up in a second after your calls. 

The question is, will you be there when we need you in 30 years time? Probably not, because you will be too busy living your lives… unless maybe if you become a parent and finally understand that a parent's love for a child is immeasurable. Oh wait! I may have two very loving children who will love me to the moon and back even at adulthood!



Right now as I pen this, 妹妹, you just cried for mommy to come into your bedroom. Your cot is big enough and I am petite enough to fit us both in. I allow you to make night suckling a comfort routine because if this is want you want, this is what I'll give. I’d give you a kiss each time and whisper, “It’s ok 妹妹. Mommy is here.” I believe you need me for a reason and I will not deprive you of me. Even if it meant stumbling sleepily into your bedroom 4 times a night just to satisfy your need. 

哥哥, because you are a big boy now, you know how to find your way onto our bed in the dark. We love cosying up with you as much as you needed our warmth. How long will this last? How long more will you say, “I want Daddy!" and "I love you Mommy!”

I know I'll be one of those moms who will call you at work and ask if you'd be coming home for dinner or dangle a Hawaii trip at your doorknob just to relive a holiday with you kids. I love you so much that it aches just to think that you little marshmallows will eventually live your own lives without needing my watchful eye over you. 

Life is such. We are very lucky to experience an unconditional relationship like ours right now. We’d be luckier if you call us out for tea amidst your busy schedules when we are old and feebly.  It's just a pity that we do not have cute unwrinkled faces and little baby fingers when we are sixty, making us irresistible to play with. Remember, if mommy text you just to say “Hi I miss you! Have a great day!”, it means I’m looking at your baby photos and reminiscing the past.


Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. Aww this makes me miss the time when Sophie was a baby. Cherish the time you have with your babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely said. =) I always feel the same way too which is why I take every opportunity to hug, kiss and hold their hands now while I still can. Let's cherish our babies while they are still babies! (Wait, they are always babies in our hearts even when they are 30, right?)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts