Riders at Bukit Timah Saddle Club

We are lucky Ewan's an outgoing boy who enjoys his sports. It widens his exposures and allows us, as parents, to engage him in many ways other than the usual suspects of i-technology and indoor playgrounds. I like taking my children outdoors because when we are out, our surroundings naturally take over and become the teacher. I find it impossible to sit and play with Ewan one-on-one because baby Faye is currently fully dependent on me. I cannot finish painting, baking or play hide-and-seek without being interrupted. The natural world is filled with sights, sounds and texture - a perfect resource for cognitive and social development. So, even when I'm dead tired, I'll still choose to bring both kids out. Take a bus, hit Sentosa, let Ewan explore and allow the world to impress him. Besides, Faye will largely benefit from all that she takes in on our mini excursions wouldn't she?

For the sanity of the mommy, time passes a lot quicker when we are out! *haha*

So yesterday, we decided to add an extra activity into our Sunday brunch session - pony riding. I had the best Brioche French Toast at Riders Cafe. No Kidding. We've been out several Sundays a month for brunches and Riders' French Toast topped my charts. I think it's going to stay there for some time until another cafe supersedes it. Riders Cafe is non-airconditioned and I'd always been putting off a visit because it felt so hot and humid in there. Surprisingly, none of us broke out into a single bead of sweat and I felt like we were lost in a colonial charm.


Black and Whites appeal to me like bees to honey. That probably explains why I worked at a national monument, send my son to a colonial house for pre-school, enjoy hotel stays in old wold glamour and booked a 1918 house for Faye's first year party.


Not only is the location a great tuck-away from the city, it is suitable for families with children as well. On the side of the diner you will find a sand-pitted playground for parents who like to sit a little longer to enjoy an undisturbed (maybe 20 minutes) pretend-date. You can also take a closer look at the horses in the stables or watch them in the training ring. There are a lot of opportunities to teach our young ones about horses and its surroundings. Words like Stable, Pony, Fowl, Horse, Vegetarian, etc.


We were at the horse training ring watching a horse when I asked Ewan and Charlotte (his date), "How many ears does a horse have?", "How many eyes does a horse have?" and the funniest reply I got from them was "SIX" when I asked, "How many legs does a horse have?" *hahha* They counted the trainer's legs as well! 

Bukit Timah Saddle Club runs pony rides every Saturday and Sunday from 1030 to 1300 hours. It is great for children who are too young to start riding lessons or just a fun experience after breakfast.  You can find them across the carpark where Riders Cafe sits. Thanks to Daddy Meyer, Ewan and Charlotte got to be first in line for their pony rides. We were told that Sundays are very crowded and people actually come in to queue from 1000 hours. As Riders Cafe needed us to give up our seats by 1000 hours, Meyer went to sit at the tent for half an hour while we explored the grounds watching horses and trainers do their thing. 

Ewan met Rosie.





She is a 14 year old pony and my toddler was walked by a tween! It was a very short 5 minute ride but we learnt quite a bit from our young guide. He told Ewan that many people mistaken ponies for baby horses but in fact, ponies are a different breed from horses. The younglings of ponies and horses are called foals. They are vegetarian but do not like broccoli and lettuce. Do you know that they eat dried leaves that fall from the trees too? 

As soon as we were done, Ewan exclaimed, "I want to ride some more!" Pointing to a horse, "I want to sit that horse!"

I told him that he was too tiny for a horse that big. He would have to wait till he is older before he can ride on a horse. Our young gentlemanly guide added, "One is never too young for anything." How wise are his words! His parents taught him well and he must have been given the exposure to many things at a tender age. He is only but a boy to me but held a conversation learned and sensible like an adult. 


Though short, we had an enjoyable time. So did Faye! She found it amusing watching her brother ride on a pony and what did she take back from this little trip? A walk-beside-a-pony experience.


Where: next to the playground at Bukit Timah Saddle Club, 51 Fairways Drive (S)286965
When: Every Saturday and Sunday
Time: 1030 to 1300 hours
Cost: S$10 
Duration: 5 minutes
Age: 3 to 12 years old
Suitable For: Children who wants to give riding a go or are too young for lessons just yet


There are also other spots in Singapore available for pony rides as well and there isn't a need to call for booking. Just turn up and ride! You may consider:

Singapore Zoological Gardens
Where: Rainforest Kidzworld
When: Daily
Time: 1000 to 1200 hours and 1300 to 1700 hours
Cost: S$6 per ride (not included in entrance fee to the Zoo)
Duration: 5 minutes
Age: 3 to 12 years old

Gallop Stables at Horsecity
Where: 100 Turf Club Road (S)287992
When: Every Saturday and Sunday
Time: 1000 to 1200 hours and 1400 to 1800 hours
Cost: S$10 per ride
Duration: 5 minutes
Age: 2 years and above

Gallop Stables at Punggol Ranch
Where: 900 Punggol Road (S)829168
When: Daily
Time: 1000 to 1200 hours and 1400 to 1900 hours
Cost: S$10 per ride
Duration: 5 minutes
Age: 2 years and above

Gallop Stable at Pasir Ris
Where: 61 Pasir Ris Green (S)518225
When: Tuesdays to Sundays
Time: 0800 to 1130 hours and 1430 to 1830 hours
Cost: S$10 per ride
Duration: 5 minutes
Age: 2 years and above


Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. I wanted to bring my children to try pony ride, but they complained about the smell of horses :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOops! hmmmmmmm I never quite noticed about the smell. We were all too excited about the ride =P hehehe

      Delete
  2. Went the the Rider's Café recently for the first time too... nice ambience but best to go early in the morning otherwise I can't imagine the heat! Thanks for sharing your family experience riding there, I may very well bring my son to hv a go soon :)

    Audrey @ SAys! Happy Mums

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the food is good isn't it? They've got the best French Toast in Singapore! In my opinion at least! Gotta book way in advance for a table and plan in the pony-riding to not coincide with meal time. It's a bit tricky because people start queuing for the1030am ride at 1000am. The list of riders can get really long if you are too late too. SO ya, go early =)

      Delete
  3. I like to bring my kids out of the house for my own sanity too, plus I find they don't fight so much cos there are other things to occupy their attention! Ewan looks so cute on the horse! I used to take riding lessons as a child at a riding school that shared the premises with the saddle club. By far the coolest thing my parents let me do! :) I like Rider's but my husband isn't such a fan because it's always crowded on Sat mornings and there's no air-con.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to take riding lessons too! I went on an adult experience in WA and as a newbie, they allowed me to cantering on the beach! CANTERING! I was ecstatic lor but a little scared of falling off. haha

      Bring your children for rides too and share all your riding stories with them!

      Ya non-aircontitioned but the food is really good leh. I always enjoyed my time there and it's pretty breezy! Best of all, can chat up with friends while kids busy themselves at the playground.

      Delete
  4. I took my kids to saddle at Punggol End. It was fun and they always love it. The only down side is its a little pricey and the duration is too short.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ewan looks absolutely adorable with the rider's cap!
    Agree 100% that Nature always has something to teach us.

    cheer, Andy
    (SengkangBabies)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you =) I am enjoying every moment of this age now! Cannot believe how different our activities will be when they are 10!

      Delete
  6. Was there any smell and itch from the rides?

    Shirley @ SAys! Happy Mums

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shirley, not that I can recall but definitely no itches because that I would remember vividly =D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts