Badminton Tournaments: First Taste to Victories and Defeats

Ewan started his Badminton trainings after we signed him up for a Badminton Holiday Camp with Optimum Badminton Academy in December 2021. What meant to be a one-off school holiday filler became a permanent fixture. 

I was reluctant to get him started but he kept showing interest in the sport. From one hour trainings to two hours. Before we know it, he would ask for three hours straight even with his mask on! 

"Mommy! It's okay! Book me three hours. Two hours is only just warm-up." he quipped. 

Four months into weekly trainings [could have been six months training but he broke his foot and had to lay off], we signed him up for OBA's badminton tournament. The OBA Cup is an internal tournament organised only for its students to give them the competitive exposure of the game. I love it that I found a badminton school that not only trains but also organises such tournaments for their students to have a go at.

What exciting times! It was his first experience to a sport tournament! I was surprised to see him so big in confidence prior to tournament day. Well of course there were nerves as well and I saw him walked onto court with feigned gusto when his name was called. 


JUNE 2022 SINGLES U11 
He had four games to play for his Singles U11. To proceed on to the Semi-Finals, we assume he would have to win at least three games. However, if several of his contenders were to win four games straight, they would naturally be placed. Ewan fought hard and had a 3-win-1-loss. That did not qualify him into the Semi-Finals. 

I remember he ran back to me with his tail between his legs at his first loss. "I am so nervous! My muscles are so tense and my heart is beating so fast!" I recalled him saying. 

His contenders were stronger than him. Every win he got, he beamed with pride. Every loss he suffered, he came running back with tears in his eyes. 

His competitive spirit took the better of him at our Parent and Child game. 

JUNE 2022 PARENT AND CHILD 
I signed us up for it in the name of fun. Turning up as the only MOM and Child duo gave me unneeded stress. At the same time, I was really proud to be able to do this for my son who loves the game to the core. I wanted to not only be his ground support as fan-girl but also on the court. 

The rest of our challengers were daddies and most of them were as serious as a heart attack! That said, we still managed to get into the Semi-Finals and a Joint Third medal for that matter. 

We were trashed at Semi-Finals and even had a score of 0-21 on one set. While I was trying to make it light-hearted for us, Ewan took it all too seriously. I’m not faulting him for being serious of course but I saw that competitive side of him as we got crushed. He shocked me by crying on court half-way through our game. Not just sobbing but crying, unembarrassed by the spectacle he made. He was visibly in distress, unable to process his emotions at this tender age of 10, that he attempted to bite me. 

At that juncture, I was torn as a mother and as a player. Do I chide him for having poor sportsmanship as a partner or acknowledge his disappointment as a mom? 

His passion is palpable. Look at the anger in his hand. 

“We are losing but let’s finish this gracefully!” I egged him on.  

All I could do was hug him tight to calm him down. I remember the apologies I had to throw his way as I missed blazing shuttlecocks that lightly grazed my cheek.  

This September School Holidays, he was in for another OBA Cup and he went in with the mindset, “If you don’t play to win, don’t play at all!” 

My reminder will always be, 
“There’s no success without failures and 
no wins without losses.” 



Dear Son, 

you spent eight hours on the court today competing the Singles and Doubles events. Well, to be fair, the competitive games did not actually take eight hours in total but you ran to any Free Court there was and took the chance to play with your friends. It was enjoyable to watch you do your thing and my oh my do you have an abundance of energy! All your friends have an abundance of energy! 

You could be playing for fun one minute and as soon as your name was called, you would jump into competition the next. How do you guys do it, I don’t know. I would have been exhausted! 

I like how you encouraged your opponents when they missed your serves or smashes. I also like how you shouted back, “Nice! Good One!” when you miss theirs. It is true some of those you missed were really good shots that came your way. It’s wonderful you acknowledged that. 

SEPTEMBER 2022 DOUBLES U15
Your partnership with Dan for the U15 Doubles event was definitely worth applauding especially when you boys had never had the chance to practice Doubles together before D'Day. In fact, I hadn’t expected you to qualify into Semi-Finals because Under 15 would mean competing against older players. You were just a pair of 10s and we signed you up only for the exposure. For that, bravo for bravery boys! 

And, Congratulations to the Bronze Medal you cliched! Well-deserved for sure!

What I noticed? You guys were encouraging at first but when the heat was turned up by stronger opponents, I noticed you were starting to BRUH your partner. Remember, the winning formula to a team sport is to always lift each other up and not put each other down. Also, it is important to walk into court with only the mindset to win or to stay calm and enjoy the game. Thinking, "Oh no, we are going to lose" is only going to spiral your spirits down. 

Lots to learn but here’s a lesson from mom to you. 

SEPTEMBER 2022 SINGLES U11
Meanwhile, you were knocked out of your Singles U11 at Quarter-Finals. What irony, against Dan! Competition is like that isn’t it? You can be partners in one event but rivals in another. I learnt to give you your time without comments as you took a time-out after your loss to recalibrate your emotions. You cried. You just could not help it because that feeling sux I know and it is absolutely OKAY to cry. But I have to remind you that it isn't OKAY to curse. The best players carry themselves very well to earn the respect they have from the spectators.

You played a good game with several wasted misses but Dan played really well that day! We have to agree he was the deserving winner. Do not forget you've improved so much from June's OBA Cup too!

Really proud to see you bounce back after a while and continued with the rest of the Doubles games with Dan.

You need to know that even the best falls down sometimes. Low Kean Yew has his ups and downs and so will all of us. The most important thing is to come back stronger and undefeated.

Till the next badminton tournament! Polish up your stances, strategies and sportsmanship. To better Badminton years. 

Love, Mom


... ... ...
DISCOUNT CODE
"YANG EWAN"

SCHOOL HOLIDAY CAMPS
Free Jersey
$10 off all Badminton Camps
[registration link updated nearer to school holidays]

or

REGULAR GROUP LESSONS
Free Jersey
Free Badminton Bag
Free Badminton Racquet


Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!

A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. What a beautiful story in parenting. I think you learn more through sports in a tournament than through academic lessons in a year. Best post on parenting I've read this year. Reminds me of the excellent post about not sending your son to ACS due to distance. I have a similar experience not sending my son to a 'top' primary school which I am an alumni of. But I don't mind, for similar reasons to you. 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and sorry it took me so long to pick this up!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts