Ho Chi Minh for Kids

Meyer came home to announce he has been requested to fly into Ho Chi Minh in three days and we are welcomed to follow if we wanted to. Yet another Semi-Solo-Parenting trip. I like such arrangements because I get to explore the outskirts with the children without daddy complaining about long commuting trips. He would deem travelling two to three hours on the road [one way] ridiculous with two pre-schoolers and even more impractical when we spend only one-third of our time at the attraction venue.

However, I think it's well worth it. Long commutes mean the children get to nap and we still get to go on an adventure to places that have a full of history about the country we are visiting. Thank goodness he gives me full reign in planning my days with the children. All he said was, "Thank goodness I'm not going."

The day we flew out was the day Faye and Ewan ran for Spartan Kids Race at Bukit Timah Saddle Club. Which meant as soon as they were done, we will have to head home immediately to get ready for the airport. I think we can handle that. We shall all just nap in the plane.

My travelling motto this trip: Never Put Off Till Tomorrow Because We May Not Do It Again


There are a few big tips about Ho Chi Minh that every family should know:
1. Take an GRAB car or VINASUN Taxi. There is no more Uber in Vietnam like I suggested you take in my Hanoi for Kids post. Turn to GRAB or as suggested by our hotel, flag down only the Vinasun taxis.
2. Taxis Go By Meter. Do not worry if you are intending to flag down a taxi. They go by meter and a 15 minute ride would probably cost you only S$1.50!
3. To Tour or Not To Tour. This one is a little tricky. I decided to book two half day tours since I needed a safe chaperone to bring the children and I to the outskirts of Ho Chi Minh City. However, with tours, we are being rushed off from place to place even before we can soak into the atmosphere. My preferred way to travel is to book a private hire to the destination and have the driver/guide bring you around. Unfortunately, that might cost a lot more than booking a group tour.

This trip, I decided to not spend any time in Ho Chi Minh City itself. A quick research found me bowling alleys, water parks, indoor playgrounds and even a facility that copies Kidzania to the T called KizCiti. Not the kind of places I'd like to explore with the children this time. So we went outskirts.

HAVING FUN WITH KIDS IN HO CHI MINH
ONE
CU CHI TUNNEL
We travelled 3 hours is on the road inclusive of traffic jam and pit stop at a Handicapped Handicraft facility for a toilet break. And another two hours from Cu Chi Tunnel back to Ho Chi Minh City for lunch. In total, we spent five hours on the road and probably about an hour at Cu Chi. This is why I say the man in my husband would think it's impractical to bring the children out so far alone and without his help.

I don’t believe anywhere is too young for our children especially when we have brought Faye deep into a pitched dark cave and out to choppy waters for whale watching at 14 months old. Resilience and exposure can be cultivated and given at any age. They may not remember but it creates retention in their sub-conscious minds. I believe I can handle the children and I believe they will not give me too much trouble on this trip.

During the Vietnam War, Communist guerrilla troops known as Viet Cong (VC) dug tens of thousands of miles of tunnels, including an extensive network running underneath the Cu Chi district northwest of Saigon. Soldiers used these underground routes to house troops, transport communications and supplies, lay booby traps, living areas, kitchens and field hospitals after which they could disappear underground to safety. 10,000 people could fit underground in that tunnel!

Meyer’s client shared with him how his grandfather was a General in that war and that these tunnels were just 60 to 70cm high [not like the widened 1m ones we experienced at our tour]. Tighter on the width as well. Also, the entrances were not from land! His grandfather had to dive into the river and swim towards the underwater entrance to the Tunnel. Sounds like a blockbuster movie! But imagine them wet, cold and still having to crawl through the tiny tunnels to get to the bunkers. I would have loved to sit with him to listen to more of his stories.

This visit was an informative history lesson for the children, experiencing the grounds first-hand. Ewan complained about why we needed to be there and I explained how he might come across the Cu Chi Tunnel in his history books or how people might bring up the topic over a meal. He could then wisely comment how he was there walking the tunnels, experiencing what the soldiers went through and encountered a bat in there! He nodded.

Both Faye and Ewan brought back so much knowledge from this trip. Even empathy! Faye commented, "When I see the booby traps, I feel sorry for those who died."


It was also on this trip we got to explore a war vehicle zone where they displayed a war plane a tank and a helicopter. One thing I do not like about going out with tours is the time constraint when we travel in a group. I would have loved a little longer than the stipulated five minutes given to us. We didn’t get any photographs, just a walk around the enormous war plane and our guide rounded us back to continue on our walk. Seriously? I wanted to soak in the history with my kids, reading the plaques in front of each war vehicle and imagine what it was like at war.

I was disappointed we didn’t even get to walk to the helicopter before getting rushed off! My thought process went from, “Awww such a pity we missed all these.” to “I don’t care. I’m going to “thick-skin a bit” and ask the guide to let us linger a little longer before we head back to Saigon. Doesn’t matter if the whole group has to wait for us. I have to make this trip [3 hour bus ride to and 2 hours back] well worth our time and effort!”

With that, the kids and I got to hang around the helicopter and tank a little longer! The rest of our group stayed in the bus and waited for us. Next time you are embarrassed to ask for your group to stay a little longer for you, think of me!

"Never Put Off Till Tomorrow Because We May Not Do It Again"




TWO
MEKONG DELTA
As I was looking through yet another half day tour to bring the children out to, I stumbled upon a visit to Mekong Delta. I wasn't sure if the children would enjoy it so I involved them in the decision making. We sat down and scoured through the web together. Then I read, "Would you be interested in this tour?"

Itinerary:
7:30am get picked up at your hotel
8:00am depart for Mekong Delta via speedboat
Enjoy a light breakfast and some local fruits on the speedboat
10:00am arrive at Mekong Delta
Visit the bee farm
Visit the Huong Da Coconut Candy Factory
Taste Snake and Scorpion Wines
Ride a horse cart around a village
Eat tropical fruits while listening to South Vietnamese music
Row a small boat through small nipa canals
12:00pm have lunch at a local restaurant
1:30pm return to Ho Chi Minh City
3:30pm get dropped off at your hotel

Ewan and Faye screamed, "Yes Yes Yes!"


While Ewan was excited about the speedboat, Faye was excited about meeting animals. One thing though. I wouldn't want us to go on that horse carriage ride into the rural village. Upon arrival, we walked past several parked horse carriages with horses looking absolutely downcast, our guide Steven said, “We will take the tuk tuk instead. It is cruel to ride these animals and many feel sorry for them.” Thank you for being a responsible tour agency Saigon River Tours! Many may be looking forward to this horse carriage ride but his one word and change of plan would influence many to travelling responsibly.

The next time you decide to ride an elephant, swim with captive dolphins or take a photograph with a drugged tiger on your holiday, think if you are travelling responsibly. These animals should be left in the wild and not captured for our amusement.


The Mekong Delta in southern Vietnam is a vast maze of rivers, swamps and islands, home to floating markets, Khmer pagodas and villages surrounded by rice paddies. Boats are the main means of transportation. Motorbikes cross the river via boats too. We took a two hour speedboat from Ho Chi Minh City to Mekong Delta just for this experience.

However, again, going by tour just cuts out certain things you’d prefer to linger longer at. I was hopping to row the boat in the nipa canals for at least 30 minutes to an hour to enjoy nature and talk to the children about Mekong. But I think we only had 10 minutes.

Still, it gave me many opportunities during this half day tour to remind the children the kind of life they are currently enjoying from.


We had very close encounters with bees. Our guide took our finger to pick out honey straight from the honeycomb to taste fresh honey! I am amazed how he shared that these bees are tame and calm. If there was a single bee within 1 metre from my radar, I would have ran for my life!

He also brought out a two year old Python which Ewan and Faye were both brave enough to touch and carry. Then our guide started talking about how the locals will kill this snake when he is older to make medicine or to eat. Our hearts sank. We are advocates of safeguarding the lives of wild animals. But that too cannot be help because in the rural parts of many countries, they believe in traditional pass downs like if you keep a snake skin in your pocket, wealth will come rolling in. If you drink from a concoction made from this snake, you will be cured of illnesses.

No, I didn't dare or want to taste the Snake and Scorpion wine.

Hear me ask in shock in the video, "YOU EAT KEVIN!!!!????" Oh dearie me.

Kevin is the name the villagers gave to this python we met.

The children did learn some important lessons about encountering snakes though. Ewan told his father that if ever a snake coiled around his body, do not panic. Simply look for its tail, give a painful bite because the snake will uncoil and then run for your life. Faye, on the other hand, remembered what her guide Steven told the children, "Daddy, the best way to not get into trouble with snakes is to stay away from it. Works 100% of the time!" So glad they paid attention "at class".



THREE
L'USINE
This isn't exactly FUN FOR KIDS pe se. It is a cafe we walked in together as a family to enjoy an evening's dinner. Rounding up with daddy at the end of the day brings squeals in all of us. We walked around the streets of Ho Chi Minh City looking for food and when I saw L'Usine on the signboard, I pulled them in.

There are three L'Usine in Ho Chi Minh and we went into the one at Le Loi Street [walking distance from Ben Thanh Market]. I am sharing this because while it's great we enjoyed 50% off our alcoholic drinks over Happy Hour, their signature Chicken Rice was delicious!

I am very particular over my Chicken Rice because it is my favourite dish. Even in Singapore, I fault many stalls for not so well-cooked rice and badly cut chicken. I remember I had a plate of Chicken Rice in Hong Kong and it put me off so much, I never had another plate of Chicken Rice anywhere else in the world.

Then Meyer ordered their L'Usine Chicken Rice on the menu and I took a spoonful. It was so good [different from Singapore] that I toyed with the idea of ordering another plate!

L'Usine café serves European classics such as salads, sandwiches and pastas, as well as city-famous coffee and cakes, and a killer all-day breakfast menu. It is lifestyle café championing quality and celebrates heritage.



Downloadables 
May's Suggested Itinerary for Hanoi

Our little Travel companions 
Nov 2018 - Ewan at 6 years old and Faye at 4 years old 
Click on our Travel tab to read all about our travel tips and tricks 


Vietnam Travels
Hanoi for Kids


Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. Excellent blog post. I am feeling crazy to visit this place after reading your story. Thanks and keep up posting such interesting stories.

    Egypt and Jordan Tours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Information shared by you, I love all the pictures and the way you explain each and everything. Keep it up, share a lot more information about Ho Chi Minh in the future also help a new traveler.

    I am a frequent flyer. Trust me, I have never come across such an airline that is so flexible when it comes to canceling flight tickets. Turkish Airlines Cancellation Policy is formed to cater to the needs of passengers. Also, the easy and simplified procedure to make amendments on the booked air tickets.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts