Ewan's Last Day as a Pre-Schooler

Today is Ewan's last day at Lorna Whiston Pre-School and although he went, "OH YEA!", I am feeling all melancholy about us leaving. He loves school don't get his "Oh Yea!" wrong but I guess spending time with his mother, playing all day long without lessons, tops the fun level up a notch. I  admit I probably bring them out to play too much!

Pre-school started at 18 months for Ewan when I became pregnant with Faye and could no longer actively engage him at home. Definitely not my preferred age to send such a little one to school but I realised, he was enjoying himself thoroughly minus the first 10 days when he cried from insecurity.

Fast forward five years later, Ewan will be entering Primary School in 30 days! I'm thankful he isn't worried about making new friends nor is he complaining about his new classroom of 28. I give certain amount of credit to his pre-school for changing teachers and re-arranging new classmates year after year from Playgroup to Kindergarten 2.

Initially, us parents weren't really happy about it. I mean, why do you want to rock the boat after one year of settling in but changing new teachers and little faces? Thereafter, I learnt that this teaches children to adapt to change. Frankly, it teaches parents that change is inevitable too. I saw my kid become more resilient and versatile. 


How did we choose Lorna Whiston Pre-School at Winchester? Here's the blogpost from 2014: Kickstart 2014 with a Milestone.

I have no complains whatsoever about the pre-school we have chosen for our children. They've complemented what I believe school system should be for the two to sixes - learning through play, outdoor time every single day, no sweat if they cannot recognise all their alphabets in Nursery, no spelling or 听写 except from Term 2 of K2, academic preparation had been so good I do absolutely no extras with him at home and the stage performances they've put together with the children at the end of every school year had always been a moment of pride for everyone in the hall.

Each K2 graduate will be given one minute of time on stage to present their speech to a theatre of 400 guests. This year, it is Ewan's turn. When his name was called, he ran out onto the stage and got everyone laughing as he sped towards the front like a speeding car. He had forgotten the second half of his speech when the audience roared with laughter after he said, “妹妹教我什么是耐心.” Well it is true our 妹妹 has been teaching us patience from Day 1 and till today, we are still learning. But with that resounding cheer, his mind went blank. I tried to help him by shouting across with a reminder of his next sentence, “明年!” But he said he didn’t hear a thing when we met. His teachers knew it can be rather daunting for a six year old to hold a one minute speech. They advised the kids to say "Thank You" if they ever stumble, bow and walk back. No stress!

After the graduation concert, I had him recite the rest of the speech to add on to this clip just for continuity and remembrance. He is a funny boy and an entertainer. It is natural that we [he and I put his speech together] came up with a less than formal speech to make the audience laugh.

That day, he played the role of a 螳螂 [tang lang]. It is a praying mantis but not many would know that. So he wanted to remind everyone that he wasn’t a 蟑螂 [zhang lang] aka cockroach! Gosh. This praying mantis had us all laughing and applauding when he walked up on stage with an Wushu entrance!

He landed himself in a solo [hero] role. There was only one praying mantis in the performance and he stole the limelight for a full minute as we watched him saved the day.


The performances made me tear but I told myself to hold them back because if I hadn't, I would be able to see what I'm recording! Ewan and his classmates sang A Million Dreams and recited a poem in Chinese that totally got to me.

The most 感人 part that made me tear, "亲爱的爸爸妈妈,我们想对你说,谢谢您让我们健康快乐地成长,我们的每一个进步,都让你们欣喜不已,现在我们已经长大了,您们放心吧,我们是您永远的骄傲"


I was really touched to hear that he has made it to the speeches of three other friends in school who considered him as a good friend. They thanked him for being a friend, “BFF FOREVER!”

We are always worried he would be the troublemaker in school because of his gregarious nature. But it turns out, although he can be unruly, he is still treasured as a friend to many. The teachers in school put together a class activity for all the kids to write a note to every other kid in class as farewell gifts. Aren't these the most precious keepsakes one could ever ask for? Much better than any M&Ms and gummy bears or toys in a goody bag!

It was heartwarming to read,

"Dear Ewan, Thank you for being Funny!"
"Dear Ewan, Thank you for playing with me. I love you!"
"Dear  Ewan, Thanks for playing with me and letting me go first."
"Dear Ewan, I will mist you and thank you for helping me."
"Dear Ewan, I like you."
"Dear Ewan, Thank you for playing football and being my friend!"

Oh thank you thank you thank you children! For all the times I had been afraid he might wallop someone up whenever he gets provoked, I'm grateful that he has been well-loved.

There is one particular letter I felt extremely grateful for. It was written by a classmate's mom who took the time to write two full pages of heartfelt gratitude to Ewan for being a friend to her son. I shared with her about how I would blame myself whenever my son misbehaved. However, she never fails to assure me that I am doing well with whatever I am doing parenting Ewan and Faye. This letter wasn't only for Ewan to be reminded that he is a great kid but also for me to remember that I am a good mom despite his mischiefs. Always at the tip of her tongue, "I wish he will find another Ewan in his Primary School." Thank you so much.


A school is nothing without its teachers.

The love, the heart and the passion of a teacher is what make the biggest difference in a child. There at Lorna Whiston Pre-School, Ewan got the privileged to be taken care of by teachers who gave their hearts and souls to all the children they've ever taught.

Ms Melissa! You are the best First Year teacher Ewan could ever have.
Ms Mira Mermaid! Three years of being Ewan's teacher! I couldn't have asked for more.
Ms Jaclyn! Just one crucial year before you left but I'm glad you are coming "home".
陈老师!没有你的纯在,亿文的生命就少了好多好多颜色!
魏老师!你是亿文的 Little Miss Hug! 谢谢你每次都给我这个感性的儿子那么多拥抱。

These teachers will be so very missed.

I didn’t think Ewan would appreciate a bouquet of flowers as a grad gift and the perfect idea came knocking which is also charitable! I got him an adorable petite cake from Little House of Dreams. I drew a free-hand topper for his tiger cake too but was so lost when I couldn’t find a penknife at home to cut out the circles in the 0 and 8. I eventually got it done with a less than perfect cut!

This cake set comes with 12 fun limited edition hand drawn postcards [by stationary and lifestyle brand Rainbow Carousel] which we used to write Thank You notes to their teachers who dedicated so much time and love to them all these years. They always work till midnight the day before Concert Day to get the theatre and foyer all decked up for showcase.


I am sad that Ewan is growing up.

Will be missing the boy who still holds my hand, gives me bear hugs and don't mind me giving him a peck on his forehead. He assured me he will let me do all these to sweet little things to him even when he is all grown! We shall see!

It is 12noon now as I hit publish. Off to pick him from Lorna Whiston Pre-School one last time!


Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.


Comments

Popular Posts