十年, We Still Do

In the middle of April, I asked my husband "What should we do for our 10th year anniversary?"

He suggested,

#1 Touch down in Singapore, put the kids to sleep at home and we go out clubbing. At 12am, we will probably yawn and go "So tired hor? Need to sleep." Seriously? This is so not going to happen. We have no babysitters to watch the kids while we go out? But that got me laughing out loud.

#2 I know! We get couple tattoos! 10 years tatt Married for 10 Years. 20 years, cancel 10 and replace it with 20 years, so on and so forth! Okay. This got me rolling my eyes. I am so not going to ink any part of my body even if it's somewhere unseen like my butt! 

#3 Googled 10 Year Anniversary Gifts and it returned TIN or ALUMINIUM. We just stared at each other... tin... aluminium... hahahaha aluminium foil???

We had been waiting for this day to arrive to commemorate it with a couple trip - one without the kids. It would be the PERFECT gift since we never found the chance to after becoming parents. We really missed those times when we would just pack and go. Yet, I totally forgotten about 2017 being our 10th year and booked my Girls Only trip over the Labour Day weekend. I will never forget our Wedding Anniversary falls on First of May [no I did not]. I merely lost count of our years when I planned that Sri Lankan trip because I was too eager to get away after one too many solo-parenting stints.

When it suddenly dawned on me that this was our 10th year, I went, "OH MY GOODNESS! This was supposed to be OUR trip! Why am I going with my girlfriends?"

But he told me to chill. 10 years is merely 10 years. Not as if we could have successfully gone for this trip anyways.

I asked the children casually in the car last week if mom and dad could go for a holiday without them.

Ewan replied in anger,
"You Are So Bad. Of Course Not! I Will Cry For Both Of You. Every Night."

Oh our sentimental children. The testimony of our love. 



"True that we would not have made it for this couple trip but hey! 10 years isn't merely 10 years! It needs to be celebrated."


Two days before my flight...

I sure am glad he took me seriously. That I would like it to be celebrated. The brand is TENS and how apt! It is our 10th year anniversary and I got a TENS for a gift! Thank you Mr Meyer Yang but you know, the weather forecast predicted it be stormy in Sri Lanka every day. I think a brolly would be a more appropriate gift!

While I was away, Meyer and the children went for their own holiday. We planned it such that we would arrive at the airport at the same time before First of May was over. I arrived at Terminal 1 at 2115hrs and daddy arrived at 2142hrs at Terminal 3. Without any check-in luggage, I ran all the way [cheat with skytrain too] to T3 hoping to surprise the family on time at the aerobridge! I made it with an airport stroller in hand to Gate A1!


I stuck to an Aluminium gift to honour our 10th wedding anniversary year like what Google suggested. I got him a Rimowa luggage [made from Aluminium] for his travels and presented it to him the day before he flew off with the kids to Malaysia. All packed and locked with lots of love! Very appropriate in my opinion since he will be heading to Italy, Australia, Tokyo, Philippines and a few more countries for the rest of the year!



Now here comes the heartfelt I APPRECIATE YOU dedication:

There was a period of time last year when I felt like I don't need my husband. I told my girlfriends about it and the top advice was, "Do NOT! EVER! Do not ever tell him that in his face." I know. I would be scared to verbalise it really.

He had been travelling so much that I became rather efficient as a solo-parent running the household on my own. The kids slept early, they were less tamtrumy, I get them ready for school with no delays and basically, every day went by rather smoothly! Oh goodness gracious! I could even handle a solo-parenting trip to Taiwan with two kids! What else can I not do?

Except that I got burnt out. Every little thing he said or do got to me. I would flare up for no apparent reason and rolled my eyes at his jokes. I don't know why back then but I realise it now that it was because I was slightly [maybe VERY] jealous that he got to get away. Alas. He didn't really just take off to play and indulge. He went away to work, for the family. It was still, work.

It was our Macau family trip that I blew up. I told him against everyone's advices, "Why don't you just stay away. I don't need you. Everything runs as well or almost perfectly fine when you are not around!" After that, I took off on my own and headed for Macau Tower and cried [at the bottom of it]. I was tempted to do a bungee jump off the tower to free myself from all the stress but erm... it costs S$500 for a jump! So anyways, I cried and felt better.

Now Now. Pick your jaws back from the floor. To be honest, I was glad I said it. Because right after I regurgitated my angst, our relationship was back the way it was. In fact, I count down every minute to his return ever since [just like before].

What have I done to deserve such a magnanimous man for a husband? I mean, try telling me that I am not needed as a wife! My ego would be so bruised! Yet, he chose to help me by listening to my rants. Not that he didn't yell at me in public when I told him to "stay away and don't come back". He was very mad. But he knows me too well that I only needed to get it off my chest.  He always tries to understand and has always been here to support me even when I'm not looking.

It is awfully burdensome to always put us in first place. Thanks a million times over for that!

Actually, it's been 19 years since he held my hand. We have known each other for more than half our lives!

I look forward to being a better woman because I would love to pen "五十年, We Still Do". That is why I assumed the role of Cinderella this morning, threw away four bags of junk and got the house all straightened up after being away for four days. Because I know you like it.

I asked Meyer before, "What is your favourite Disney princess?"
He replied, "Cinderella because she can keep the house clean."
*hahahah* I am actually a messy messy mommy. It must have been difficult living with me the past 10 years.

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts