An Excursion: First Movie Screening

The pre-school hands out the year's events on the first day of school and I'd mark them all out in our shared family calendar on the Mac - Public Holidays, School Closures, Concert Day, PTM (Parent Teacher Meetings) and Excursions. Today's family day-out was the last one for the year and we were off for a movie screening - Inside Out - at Lido.


We contemplated on this one because I am not one who encourages screen time. Mostly, I opt for constructive play. Even running around in circles at a park is more my kind of parenting than plonking my children in front of a tele-box. If I could, I would screen the shows my children watch because while some experiences are entertaining, some can be potentially harmful. Alas! Ideals and reality are different. Some things got to give. Ewan has learnt how to manage the YouTube app from the phone at his grandparents' and I am not always there to sieve off violent cartoons. If you hadn't realise, Tom and Jerry is not exactly the healthiest program to sit your child in. It is entertaining and hilarious but it is also comic violent. There isn't a single episode that doesn't have objects smashing over either Tom or Jerry's head! Oh, it was one of my favourite cartoons but I never realized its impact on a young child until my lecturer in Child Psychology pointed it out.

So, I mulled over this outing. Firstly, I saw no beneficial need for my son to watch Inside Out. Secondly, I have no clue what scenes it entailed. Thirdly, he is only but three. Surely, he can't be majorly deprived from not going to the cinema at three? Then the other side of me thought, "Everything needs a balance and surely a little entertainment is not going to hurt. Stop Being Anal Mom!" And there we had our first mother and son movie date! [Not for Faye though. She is too young at 16 months to be exposed to loud sounds and bright flickering screens in my opinion.]

I was not worried about him sitting through. I knew he would because screen times are a treat and when you get a treat, you fully utilize your rights to it. Ewan and Faye are seasoned theatre-goers at Singapore Repertory Theatre. He knows the protocol - grabbed a booster seat at the entrance and tailed behind me looking for Row O. I was taken aback when he suddenly turned teary, "Mommy. I want to go home."


What was he afraid of? The dim lights? The large intimidating hall? The unfamiliarity of the place? Hmmm..

He sat on me and I held him tightly in my arms, assuring him that watching a movie is nothing frightening really. As soon as the big screen shone its wonderous lights onto our faces, he calmed down and scooted off to his booster seat. I turned to look at him and I saw amazement, fascination, enjoyment and curiosity. He laughed at the funny scenes and cowered at the scary ones (clowns disturb him). I doubt he could grasp certain ideologies like how these little people are inside his head but he could relate to the expressions Joy, Sadness, Disgust, Anger and Fear. We shared from a bag of popcorn, rushing our hands as quickly as we could to fight for that last piece! *haha*

Now, guess which is his favourite?

He likes ANGER

Ewan said,

"I like the red one! Anger. Because Vooom [hand signalling upwards from his head] he has fire coming out from his head! He is fierce like The Hulk!"

*eyes wide open* I didn't forget. I have a son.


Happy Children's Day my love. I'm glad we had an enjoyable time together out at the movies. Don't forget to date me for a show teen-Ewan? I'd love to be your partner.


Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts