The Mommy Behind @mmlittlee

Remember the Ice Bucket furore that took over social media last year? We've got a new kind of challenge today. If you haven't heard, #20beautifulwomen is an Instagram movement that inspires an individual (a woman in this case) to post a photo of herself and then tagging 20 beautiful women they know to keep the challenge alive. This may be a temporary trend but one a lot more meaningful as it promotes confidence, security, self-esteem and self-worth in a person. The comments return so much love and support from fellow women that is absolutely nothing to hate about this new social media game.

We are always caught in the life around us. Our children, our work, our husbands, our parents... basically, our responsibilities. There is rarely time to introspect; to appreciate the beauty we possess as an individual and as a woman. With this challenge, we are tasked to look within ourselves and share what made us who we are today. Beauty is not about that pair of perfect legs that has no cellulites or that blemish on the face we can easily photoshop away. It is loving that body we own and feeling courageous to face the world without looking like an edited model on a magazine. Not just physically but emotionally as well.

It isn't about you being a single, a happily married or a fearless single mom. We shall not be judged by "world norms" that scoff at us for being imperfect. No matter what stories we have behind us, we all own beautiful minds and voices.

Every woman has a story to tell and #20beautifulwomen was conceived to empower women to focus on self-love and acceptance. 

Let us put an end to insecurities in this judgemental world and celebrate our achievements (significant or trivial). I finally took some time to recap on my life and shared my part on Instagram with this. 


I didn't want to do this because I was lazy and said if 5 women tagged me to do this, then I'll probably consider an attempt. *gasps* @so.natty @daprayer @ashlynthia @littlebowgirl @missustay, you got me. Here's to share the #widn and #20beautifulwomen challenge. 

[The Years Before I Conceived in 2011] 

I shaved my head in 2010 in support of childhood cancer and of course to encourage my mother who suffered 7 years from Lymphoma. 

I quit my job in 2009 to be her main caregiver until she passed on in 2011. While doing so, I volunteered at @sgchildrensoc and @ccfsingapore while taking a second degree in Psychology. All of these were put on hold after she passed away and I haven't had a chance to pick up where I left off yet. 

My love story is just like the song "Sixteen Going On Seventeen". I was 16 and he was 17 when we started dating. 

I got married at 25 so that I could be a young mom. Pity, endometriosis saw me through tough years of conceiving. Being mom at 30 is better than nothing! And now mommy of 2! Yippee! 

I secretly wished my first boyfriend was a bad boy who rode a motorbike. 

As a child, I was a cry baby and my nickname was "Ham Bao". I cry at every little thing. An adult do not have to say anything but just stare at me and I'll burst into tears to a point of no return. 

I was always the youngest in class because I went to kindergarten one year earlier at 4 years of age. I was always the smallest in class. 

I ran long distance on a national level in Secondary School. 

I was quite a sportswoman. I am better in soccer, hockey, badminton, volleyball, table-tennis and swim than golf, netball, basketball and tennis. 

I dreamt of being a back-up dancer, a teacher, a successful businesswoman, a model, a ballerina or Miss Universe when I grow up! Hahahaha childhood dreams undreamt! 

I think I have lived a life I love and absolutely have no regrets about.

----------

Thank you ladies for reminding me about my beauty as a woman - one who had crossed your paths in this life and etched a mark. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to give myself credit as I recount my life and stop writing about my children for a while. 

Chang & Eng musical left a deep impression on me with their Mai Pen Rai lyrics. It means "Never Mind". Everyone is different. They are fat or thin or tall but it's what you have inside that matters most of all. That is when I became confident about myself and learnt that there is nothing to be ashamed of even if I had no chest to flaunt and only a flappy belly to share when I go sun-bathing in a bikini. There isn't a need for push-up bras or make-up concealers. We have every right to feel beautiful.

I want to relish in myself tonight as I recount (in random thoughts) all of my 33 years. Let me indulge won't you?

I am the only child growing up and that contributed to me maturing earlier than most. That also contributed to me owning a lot of toys to keep me occupied.

I am not a follower and never fall in the cracks of peer pressure.

I was brought up by a Filipino helper whom I adore but my mother's absence was the reason why I chose to be a SAHM today. I missed her a lot and I do not want my children to go through that. Thankful for this opportunity made possible by my parents and husband.

I cheated in my first exams in Primary One by helping a friend finish her mid and end of year English papers. For 2 years! How in the world does a 6 year old know another cheating? 

I was always the teacher's pet. I must had been vocal without being offensive. Teachers like that no?

I got a F9 for Chinese O Levels but a C5 on the second take. Sharing this as an encouragement that hard work does pay off even in a short period of time. 

I has always wanted a pet dog but never gotten one as a gift because my parents knew that they will  be the ones taking responsibility of it eventually. 

I am in love with ballet. The only examination I was eager to go for. However, over-stretching got me a bad back at one Summer camp and I had stop dancing for more than a decade now.

I learnt the piano but stopped at Grade 7 when I failed by a few points. I cannot accept failure and chose to walk away. What a coward!

I spent 7 years in one company and one company only - Raffles Hotel Singapore. As a fresh grad, friends and family were shocked off their feet when I took a position from the bottom. I worked as a butler, went on to build my portfolio in Sales & Marketing and ended up running the Wedding's department. I am full of pride with my achievements especially when I was jeered by an interviewer (from another hotel) with my answer "Your Position." He asked, "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" He actually told me it was impossible because he worked his ass off to get to where he was. *hahah* I surpassed him in 5 years.

I set up my first company, LoveBug Singapore, running an online kids' store and a wedding business. They are now put on hold because I want to spend uninterrupted time with my children until further notice. This was concurrent with my volunteer works, the pursue of the Psychology degree and caring for my mother as she fought heroically against cancer.

Penning all these down allowed me to see clearly who I had been and what made me. Won't you make time for this and give it a go?

We are strong, passionate, loving, unique and independent beings. Do not ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

This is the mommy behind @mmlittlee. Now, you know who I am.






A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. Did not realise there is a beautifulwomen movement but am saluting it more than the icebucket. Got to know a little more about you and I think its beautiful. Hope we will meet up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meet properly next time. Last time not very PROPER! haha =D Like "Huh? You were there? Where?" Happy CNY Phoebe!

      Delete
  2. I remember seeing this sometime last year. Glad you shared deeper into yourselves. In a way, I think blogging has helped you to fulfill some dreams like being a successful businesswoman (you own a blog business!) and model (everyday is a modeling opportunity for the blog haha), no? :P

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I no longer own a blog business though. I started it before kids and after-kids, there's absolutely no time anymore! hahah but ya modelling the kids everyday

      Delete
  3. True beauty is inside out. You are a real beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyo.. thank you leh. hmmm.. sometimes i'm quite a monster haha

      Delete
  4. I actually read this before too though I cannot really recall where from. Perhaps through Claudia. Anyhow, like its author, this is such a beautiful write up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post. I feel like I know you a little better now. I was also into bad boys when I was younger. My first bf at 17 years old used to pick me up from school in a sports car. Parents' biggest nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful way to sum up the little things in your life and you grew up with them. Now we know better the mummy behind @mmlittlee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your "timeline", I hope my own timeline will have minimal regrets and "If only.." pauses. Embrace life to the fullest.

    Salute to two heroes in my life too , Wife and Mum.

    cheers, Andy
    (SengkangBabies)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the Daddies don't get to bored or awkward reading about women, their rants and ermmm shape wear! lol

      Delete
  8. Such an inspiring story! No regrets, babes :))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts