Huat Ah! 8 Years Liao!

He finishes my sentences. He understands what I need when I go "mmmm.. I think I need a...". He told his boss, with conviction, that his family comes first. He makes me laugh so much I get stitches sometimes. He gives my name a capital A in the centre - I am his special mAy. I've got a feeling if I sent him a telegram with "BATTLESHIP", he would have prepared steamboat! 

This is the man I grew up with from 1998. He would write me 3-page long letters on his travels with his family and I would receive e-cards in my mailbox just for him to say, "I am crazy over you!". Oh and all those poems he made me with every alphabet that spells my name. Without a doubt, I safe-kept them faithfully in a box where we will rummage through when we grow old - on a not so cold bench.

An e-card he sent me back in 1999, in celebration of our first year as steadies. 



My husband does not send me letters like these anymore but I am touched that he's been counting. We are celebrating our 8th year wedding anniversary today and he casually commented that he had spent exactly half his life with me (He is 34 and we've been together when he was 17). I didn't even realise we've been together for seventeen years! It goes to show that he has been thinking about our time together. Either that or he counts really fast. If you could see my heart, it was sporting the widest grin - thrilled that he is still in love with me.

As I write, I turned to him in bed and asked, "Hey! You know the title to this new song? I can only remember two words, 'we're 17'. What song is that?"

Frankly speaking, I do not think anyone could have helped me with this question. There's just too little parameters and I couldn't even remember the tune to la-la-la it out for him.

"I think I know which song you are referring to but I don't think I can help you with this at this point in time dear.", he mumbled, eyes closed and almost asleep.

He was really tired but 5 seconds later, he said ...

"You google, Ed Sheeran's Thinking Out Loud"

Yipee! That's the song! But it wasn't "we're 17" but "we're 70"! *hahaha* I gave him the wrong variable and he still managed to help me with this burning question I had. He acknowledged my Thank You with a snore.

"And darling, I will be loving you till we're 70. And baby, my heart could still fall as hard at 23." 

It was not love at first sight and I never quite noticed him until one day, he spoke. I turned my head to take a glimpse at this young man who carried himself with an air of confidence in his speech. Some say Hao Lian [Hokkien for Arrogant]; I say Wu Say [Hokkien for Suave]. How is it I never knew this person existed in my class? I wonder what made him take a second look at me.

Paktor days were really sweet. Oh of course not without petty spats but we kept the relationship going without those childish break-and-patch cycles that were seemingly popular amongst teenagers. It was our first experience in a boy-girl relationship and I never had to taste the bitterness of breaking up. I felt like the luckiest girl ever! Only 16 and found the boy of my dreams! I thought about it very carefully one night if sticking to 1 guy is the way to go and I talked myself into marrying this man with this:

"There is an orchard full of apple trees. I picked the first one that dropped on the ground and it tasted so good! It was sweet, crunchy and absolutely free of worms. Looking ahead, a couple more red apples dropped from the tree and I stood there pondering. Shall I go try those as well? They could be sweeter! However, they could also be wormier. The smart (not greedy) choice is to be contented with the one right now."

We got married.

A little shy from 3 years old, our son asked, "Why do you love daddy, mommy?". We were taken aback by this very honest question but I gladly responded in the simplest way I could:

"Because daddy is such a good man. 
Because we loved, there's Ewan and Faye." 

Our son fell ill on Sunday with a fever and there was no way he was going to school. We had a late night trying to put the children to sleep and having had disrupted sleep the whole night, I was zombified by Monday morning. Knowing that I will have a long day with the children, my dearest hubby went out at 7:30am to stock our kitchen up with milk, breakfast and bread before he headed out to work. I am thankful for this guardian angel but he is not that humble la. He replied, "I know I know. I AM THE BEST!" plus a peace sign. *haha*

"Some people care too much. 
I think it's called Love." 

I can't say this enough but the best gift for our children is a strong marriage. I've got your back for always. Happy 8th Anniversary!

I managed to pull out the transcripts of Our Vows! Re-living our union as man and wife 8 Labour Days ago.

Meyer:
Liang May, born on First of January 1982, IC number S8xxxxxxxE, [crowd laughs] with all my love i take you as my wife, partner in life and my one true love. I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and deems difficult. I promise to cherish you when love is simple and even more so when it is an effort. Together [wah like speech like that] [crowd laughs again] Together, we will face life experiences and share in one another's dreams and goals. Eight years ago, I gave you my hand, my heart and my love and it shall remain yours for as long as we both shall live. With this ring I give you, it symbolises the beginning of my suffering. [crowd cheers]

May:
Meyer, today I take you as my husband. Do you remember when we were in our teens, you once said that given a choice, you'd want to outlive me so that I won't walk the rest of my life alone? [Meyer says "Uh Huh"] I think that was very powerful. That was very impactful for me because I have never thought about it like that before. Storm clouds may gather and stars may collide but my love and patience, I promise, will be long and good. Err.. Erm... I forgot my vows! [crowd laughs as I muster my courage] My love for you will be eternal and as if it is made of metal, my commitment to you will be forever. My whole heart for our whole lives.


I must say the video clip I found was rather embarrassing to watch! We celebrate 17 years of togetherness and 8 years of marriage today. We survived and I don't think I know how to live without him anymore. Oh and just in case you think we live a fairy tale life, we do not whisper sweet nothings every day. We are a very normal couple who squabbles and shoots sarcasm at each other over heated situations. No excuse. We still have to work harder, to Be Nice[r] to one another. At the end of the day, Love prevails.


A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other families alike.

Comments

Popular Posts