COVID-19 Robbed Our Children's Childhood From Them

Of course the resilient and optimistic nature in us would say, "What's been stolen? Nothing's been stolen. We make the best out of our situation and fight! We fight for freedom and our children can still have a childhood growing up amidst this Coronavirus pandemic." 

Sadly, that's not entirely true. Our little ones are threading on thin ice every single day now. They cannot step out of the home without masking up. They cannot simply run to the public playground for a slide or two. They have to mask down, wash their hands, shield up, eat their food at recess, cannot play catch in the school field, shield down, mask up and wash their hands again. They cannot take their next step without thinking, "Have I washed my hands?" or "Did I touch my face?" They won't have field trips anymore! They have been educated by school, by media and by parents to watch their hygiene lest they fall sick.

Now, there's even a Back To School ABCs music video for pre-schoolers that had a line "Wash our hands each hour or two". While the majority probably won't fall into a state of paranoia, Faye took this pandemic the hardest. She goes to school every day with fear and trepidation, I feel so sad for her and all the little children of today.

Wait a minute, "Wash our hands each hour or two" sounds like paranoia to me! But it is also a necessity these days with COVID-19 lurking in the background.


Dear Faye

It is so sad to watch you lose your freedom and right to childhood. You took this pandemic the hardest amongst your classmates, cousins and sibling. You had always been one who looks forward to school every day. The Circuit Breaker must have kept you feeling really safe at home that when it was time to return to school, you couldn't find the courage to. 

We had your school bag packed on First of June and I hyped it up with my own excitement to downplay your doubts. Your school gave us a list and I explained every single one to you.

1. Bring your own Pencil Case because there will no longer be sharing of personal materials.
2. Prepare two bags and label them A and B. One bag is for used mask and the other for clean ones.
3. Small towel to clean feet daily before entering classroom.
4. To bring sanitiser and face shield daily. 

You listened to me intently and I know very well you are a stickler to rules. You had been such a model kid when it comes to personal hygiene, I have no worries whatsoever about you not keeping up. Even during Circuit Breaker at home, you washed your hands every time before meals and put the responsibility of your brother upon yourself without anyone asking. But you know, sometimes you get too responsible, I had to stop you from over-washing.

In bed that night on the eve of school reopening, you shared how uncomfortable you were to return. You pleaded me to not let you go back on 2nd of June and even suggested I pull you out from Kindergarten. "How about I go back to school only in Primary One?" you added. We were all taken aback! I reassured you for the umpteenth time that school will be doing their very best to keep you and your friends safe. You were not convinced. We came to a compromise that you would return to school on 8th of June together with Ewan. Oh that settled you. The security and confidence from your brother did the job!

As we stayed home that first week of school you were supposed to be back, you prepared yourself mentally for the return. By Thursday, you actually announced, "I'm ready to go back to school!" YAHOO! 

I didn't expect this but you cried every single day on the first week at school. Okay. You didn't cry on Day 1 because it was considered "Orientation Day" for you. I think you had expected school to be exactly how it was two months ago but it wasn't. 

Now you cannot play shoulder-to-shoulder with your friends. You have a designated spot to sit on. You eat quietly without chit-chatting your snack break away. You had to follow many procedures you didn't have to in the life before Coronavirus.

Day One - You came home on the first day and told me you didn't want to go back to school the next day. 

I encouraged you and took out our promise from my pocket, "You promised you will go when 哥哥 goes right? He'll be in school this entire week. So you go too okay?"

Don't misunderstand me. I want you to stay home with me too cause I enjoy your company but I need you to embrace this new norm. We can be extra vigilant, there are more sacrifices we have to make when it comes to social gathering but we cannot live in a bubble. I can’t lock you away like Rapunzel. You might have to wear masks for this entire schooling year!

Day Two - I picked you up with a teary eye at school gate. Oh my heart broke. You cried because your artwork got squashed from a bag so full of hygiene essentials. You cried because you took your friend's water bottle home and you were afraid you drank it by mistake. You cried because you broke your Air+ mask in school and didn't know what to do. I assured you over and over again that it was alright. You finally calmed down but you said, "I don't want to go to school anymore."

Day Three - You told me you cried in school but refused to share with me what happened no matter how I asked. Sorry baby. I had to check with your teacher because your emotional health and well-being is of utmost importance. 

Your teacher told me you forgot to bring your pencil case today and was upset about it. Oh dear. I know you'd not be willing to use the school's stationaries. Thankful you calmed down and used them instead of throwing into a fit. You cried a second time when decorating your Father's Day card though. In your enthusiasm, you used the craft materials meant for the afternoon class and that triggered you again. I heard your friends tried their best to assure you both times. 

I wish I was there to give you a mommy bear hug.

Day Four - Every day you asked if you can skip school. Every day, I encouraged you to try it for one day more. Today though, it was so bad your teacher had to call mommy for a 10 minute talk.

You cried today after the Chinese class changed seating arrangement from Floor to Chair. You didn't want to tell any teachers why you were crying. I understood from your teacher you cried for two periods of lessons! There came a point you were hyperventilating and she had to ask you to remove your mask. 

I gave you space and didn't bring it up when I picked you. You were chirpy, you were singing, you were happy! Every time we came home, you became exceptionally happy the entire day. We spoke in private without daddy and you couldn't find the words to say it too. I know you and I came up with a brilliant idea!

I asked you to type it out for me on the notepad. 

You wrote, "Because. I want you."

That was it. Just four.simple.words.

Day Five - You cried again. First period is Play Period and you cried at Play Period. I was taken aback. You told me you wanted go home. You didn't even feel like playing. Who cries at Play Period!?

“When I was crying and thinking of home, I looked out of the window imagined our home.” you said smiling. You didn’t eat during your snack break either even though it was packed from home. You said the process just to eat a bun was too cumbersome. You'd rather not eat. Gosh... you actually sat there in your chair doing nothing until every one finished their food.

You teacher knows that your brother will be having HBL at home next week. I believe she made a deal with you in school that you can stay home with 哥哥 next week and return when he does too yes? 

What a trooper! You got through one week of school! But you said something that made me feel sorry for you - "I'll go to school. I promise. If that makes you happy." I want you to live your life Happy on your own terms; not because of mommy?

This is what your Kindergarten should be - Carefree, Joyful and Fun! Not robbed.

I'm sorry this happened,
Mommy

A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts