Not The Princess Who Needs Saving

Well she wants to be a principessa. Many mornings, we argue about the dresses she wants to wear out because they aren't exactly practical for the playground or beach. Dearest Faye likes to wear long flowy dresses which she can twirl in. They have to be exactly this long, not an inch shorter. They have to be exactly this flair, not a twirl impact smaller. If it was a tu tu, made with lace or comes with a can can, that would be perfect. So really, she just wants to look as pretty as a picture. 

The theme at art class one day was Ambitions. "What do you want to be when you grow up? Choose two and let us paint your ambitions out," said her teacher. She proceeded to draw, obviously a princess, and another of her as a pilot. That's a cute sight? Wearing a crown and flying a plane! 

I cannot stress enough how fortunate our girls of today are here in Singapore and first world countries. We break boardrooms, combat zones and businesses! We are given equal opportunities as men and we have taken the charts by storm. I led a department. I oversaw the renovation of our home. I drive my children to places. I majored in Software Engineering where men took dominance of the faculty. I work just as hard in the corporate world. I can wear pants, suits, skirts and dresses! Women have come a long way since 1917 where there were no voting rights to get legal protection from marital rape or initiative divorce. Today, we say girls who dream will be visionaries!

And our daughters are benefitting from this one big massive women power movement that changed everything. 1848. Senaca Falls. New York. A mother of four. Elizabeth Cady Stanton.

With that, my daughter can be a princess for all she wants and a pilot who rules the sky if that is her calling. Faye is very clear about her likes and dislikes. I love that about her and I love it that we can support her interests as open-minded parents.


Yesterday evening when we were talking about the Army where Ewan was eager to join, our principessa stepped in:

"Mommy, I want to protect Singapore too. I will be a soldier when I grow up. I will get you a costume and a fake gun okay? So that you can take photos with me while I wear my real uniform and carry a real gun. I will take pictures with everyone who wants to take pictures with me." 

You don't say! I am so proud to hear that of you Faye! It's amazing how she is a hybrid of a girl and a boy. The courage she possess, I give credit to her brother for toughening her up. The ideas she has, I give credit to our travels where we have met a woman pilot, woman firefighter, police woman, woman jockey and more. The dreams she's going to turn to reality, she has to thank her parents for it. There is not stigmatism in any jobs or dreams! We can be who we want to be and I will never dampen the spirit to make her ever think she is less of anyone.

This dear girl of ours is very clear of her goals and her interests. She said no to music, ballet and marital arts but yes to cooking and art. Now she surprised me with this idea of wanting to be a soldier and I cannot wait to down on that fake costume and gun to take a photograph with her!

Boys, watch out for this one. You are going to have an adventure with her and you will love it.

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts