Faye turns Three: A Miffy Art X Slumber Party

Creeping into the last week of Faye turning three, I was busy as a busy bee! Even though we were only but going to have three guests for the home party, I cannot help but make it a visually appealing and memorable one. All pressure on me [self-imposed] to execute the perfect party. I am always concern about not being able to capture the right moments since I am the resident photographer/videographer, party planner, mother and host. Besides trying to dress them up nicely, feeding them their lunches and making sure they have a ball of a time, I still had to take great pictures? Am I putting too much on my own plate? Oh but I'm so glad we manage to pull it off year after year. I got to remind myself not to put so much stress on myself next time because the pictures always exceed my own expectations each time.


When I settled the date to throw Faye her birthday party on 14th of May 2017, I didn't realise it was going to be Mother's Day. A part of me wished I could just chill and do nothing at all when I woke on Sunday morning. It was my day after all! Thankful that the first half of the birthday plan was artistically executed by Teacher Kiwi and Teacher Fish from Da Little Arts School! I only had to deal with the next half of the birthday party after they left.

Faye had always loved her arts and crafts. She would play with new toys only once and never touch them again. I remember her daddy bought her a beautiful Ana in a box from overseas and her response was, "Give this to Cayla or Cayley." My dear daughter did not take a second look at it!  She has no interest in Barbies or My Little Pony. However, when presented with paint, Play-Doh, markers, scissors, glue and an easel, she could spend an hour of quiet time with these materials on her own.

How can I not throw her an Art Party?

Faye is currently enrolled in Da Little Arts School Book Explorers programme for the 2.5 to 4 year olds. Her teacher is Ms Kiwi and when Faye saw her in her house, she was all smiles! The teachers came 30 minutes in advance to set the place up for the kids. They tactfully covered the table with two layers of transparent plastic mats in case it got painted on and kicked off the party with a Guess The Picture game!

It was a fun ice-breaker for the children and the teachers. The winner gets a cookie and that made the children really happy!


I kept the invite list small and the same for each year as soon as they turned two. Their three cousins - Cayley, Cayla and Callum + Ewan and Faye = Five. I promised their father that all birthdays will be made cosy after their extravagant Big Ones [Read: Ewan Big One and Faye Big One].

As soon as the games were over, Teacher Fish facilitated the craft session by first introducing the artwork that the children would be making. As the theme of the party is Miffy, Da Little Arts School customised a Miffy art piece for this two-hour project that is suitable for children aged three to seven [the age group of Faye's guests]. They weren't just given a brush and paint, diving into their blank canvases with no concept at all. Teacher Fish picked their brains a little and got the children to throw in ideas, verbalising their paintings in their heads.

The children were left to decide if they wanted their skies painted blue for a sunny day or orangey for sunset. She asked them to think about putting Miffy in a meadow, a hill or a garden. "What can you find in the garden?" she asked.

We heard, "Butterfly! Flowers! Snails! A Grandma's Cottage!"

Then Faye whispered, "Pororo"

Pororo? *hahah* That got everyone laughing!

Every child had a different image in their heads after the creative discussion. Callum chose a blue sky while Ewan insisted that his sky remained green [his favourite colour]. Faye had her Miffy on top of a hill and Cayley decided that butterflies shall invade Miffy's garden. Cayla planted stars in the twilight which made it uniquely Cayla.

What makes art beautiful? The fact that it varies and changes with each artist. The case of "it lies in the eyes of the beholder" makes it beautiful.

They dabbled with paint the regular way - with a brush - but was also introduced to Dancing Fingers where they dipped their fingers in paint and encouraged to tap on their canvases as if they were playing piano! Callum, the eldest boy, added music to the imaginary piano playing technique as he tapped in his flowers on the canvas. Exploring art in such a manner made it so much more enjoyable.

I am very proud of their Miffy masterpieces. Each one of them! Thank you Da Little Arts School for sponsoring this birthday party for Faye.

Da Little Arts School throws awesome birthday parties and it is perfect for that art-loving child if you're got one. Parents can choose from their Classic or Premium Party Packages that can be held at their exclusive party rooms or at your preferred location (S$100 top-up). The birthday star and his invited guests will also get to return with a free trial class voucher worth S$80! [Download Birthday Party Package]

Our Miffy theme is considered a Premium and even though the package price states a minimum of 10 persons, you can still hold your party of less than 10 but at the same price.

For Classic packages, children get to choose from making Tote Bags, Clay Making or Canvas Painting inspired by Artists like Andy Warhol, David McKee or Sophie Harding. Oh I would love to try my hand on an Andy Warhol piece some day!


I decided not to invite the adults this time. I haven't been to a Drop-Off Birthday Party and hope to ignite some inspiration to your future party planning by hosting my own! Of course, I have the ever-accommodating-really-sick-husband to help me out on Sunday with cake and food pick-up including cleaning the house.

After the children were done with their artwork, we sat down to have lunch and I showered them off the crumbs and paint that dirtied their clothes.

I am not a fan of sweet treats for door gifts or goody bags. So, I bought Miffy apparels from Cotton On Kids for the children instead! Perfect to change them into for the Miffy Slumber Party after a nice warm shower. The Miffy tags on the clothes were perfect gift cards to bundle the Pyjamas with. I cut them off and ran a twine through it - cute!


Putting together the birthday table and backdrop was so much fun! I started visualising everything only on Thursday, three days before the party day. A visit to Tott Store on Thursday put all my ideas in place almost immediately. I bought Meri Meri Toot Sweet and Liberty of London range which made my heart skip a beat from all the gold. Tott has now become my favourite place to go - with the free membership, I get to collect points which can be used as dollars on my next purchase! If I spent $50, I get $5 credit which means I get to knock $5 off my next purchase with no strings attached. Even the disposable utensils look so grand with the gold tips!


What's a party without party cups? This time, we won't be using disposable paper cups but monochrome melamine cups from Bopomofo Shop. Bunny-inspired no less! It is break-resistant, durable and definitely give the Miffy theme a bonus boost! I looked through their web store and found Bunnies and BunnyEar Water Print Tattoos which I thought would be great to dress the children up in as well. The children loved it but was sad to see it go the next day. It wasn't hard to remove like a lot of other sticker tattoos we tried on. Have you ever encountered those that were so stubborn they stuck onto the kids' skin like leeches for a week? Oh I dislike those a lot! Thankful for what Bopomofo had done with their water print ones.



Most of the Miffy props I used for the table was loaned from my friend, Meiru. She threw a Miffy First Month Party for her daughter recently and I knew I could depend on her to fill my party up with this adorable bunny. Loan what you can to save cost and that's what I did!

A big Thank You to Rachel from Urban Lil' who texted me to say she would like to gift Faye a birthday present. It was an alluring pair of of bunny ears topper made from white and silver mirror acrylic which sat so beautifully atop Sam's Miffy cake for Faye. I don't know what I did to deserve so much love from Rachel but I guess fate brought us together.

Faye's birthday cake had never been been baked by anyone else but Cupplets even since she turned One. I don't think I will be breaking the tradition anytime soon so Sam & Ernest, I apologise for making you work on more than one character cakes from hereon! But, I promise to keep it elegant and giving you full reign to design them to your style. This Miffy cake came as a surprise. I didn't tell Sam I was going to add in some gold to my decor. She added gold to Miffy as if she read my mine and it was perfect for the table!




Have you heard of MerryGoPop? They are a bunch of Korean party designers in Singapore whom I got to know through Instagram. I fell in love with their confetti balloons and checked if they sold it.  I imagined popping these balloons over Faye's head and capturing the most beautiful pictures and Slow-Mo videos from the birthday shoot. Yes they do sell these balloons! But their love for Faye was overflowing. Instead of hand-makings just three as requested, they arrived at our doorstep with six and said "We would like Faye to receive these are presents from MerryGoPop." How blessed are we?






Our master bedroom was transformed into the party venue where the kids got to pillow fight [a little bit because I was afraid they might smash the birthday cake sitting across from the bed], jumped like kangaroos and rolled like chimpanzees. We ended up with a very messy master bedroom but that's alright. The fun and memories and photos and laughter are all worth the while.

I am so proud to share that our family photographs and videos were taken by my six year old twin nieces. Who says we need to hire photographers to capture memories at parties? Our family pictures are living proof that children are more than equipped too! Just give them directions and frankly, it is really just a snap of a button. Straightening, colour conditioning and cropping of the picture can be easily fixed with a photo editing app!


So here's our Miffy Art X Slumber Party for Faye's third birthday, celebrated three days in advance because her little guests aren't available for a five-hour party on her actual day.

When is her actual day? 17th May 2017, TODAY! As you read, we are probably out getting Faye's ears pierced because she requested to own a pair of purple ear studs, having our breakfast or heading to her pre-school to celebrate her actual day with her classmates with Miffy cupcakes.

Or, we could all be stuck at home nursing a very sick 哥哥 who suddenly ran an almost 40 degree fever the whole night.

Read Faye's other Birthday Celebrations:
First Birthday, 2015
Second Birthday, 2016
Fourth Birthday, 2018
Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts