All Great Conversations Happen at Bedtime

All great conversations happen at bedtime. All wounds heal at bedtime too. So let us talk. 

Even though the children do get a fair share of wrath from me, they do a lot more to make me a proud mother. They really do. I mean if you see the way I reprimand them at times, you probably wouldn’t comprehend why I love doing my job despite the tension. Mommies would understand.  


I was sharing with Ewan last night in the dark about how his JSA bowling coach told us parents to not hang around too much and baby them because these 12 year olds only want to do us proud. Should they make a little mistake knowing we are standing behind, they would cringe and feel terrible. So let us give them the space to learn this new sport with their new friends. 

Ewan agreed wholeheartedly and “Yes”ed the notion. 

I told him last night in bed that I never ever judged him when I watch him bowl or play badminton or do anything that’s embarrassing at all. There were only pride and pleasure when I watch him from afar. Even when the bowling ball rolls into the Long Gang [gutter] from poor execution, I celebrate his little antics and laugh with him. 

Even when he loses a point at badminton, I still swell with pride because what I saw was him diving in to get his shuttlecock. He laughed at me in disbelief. 

I hope I took the chance to tell him it’s not the win I was looking out for and so he should not feel pressured to perform for me. It was the moments I was trying to capture and treasure. His pressure to perform must always be for himself, not his parents. 

Remember to tell your children that. 
Remember to tell ourselves that.

Oh Faye. Outside all the girly tantrums, she is such a pride and joy! I caught her in my bed at 8pm last night with her iPad. The instruction was, “Go charge your iPad and head to bed. Remember to brush your teeth and come over for a goodnight hug!” 

Well so when I walked past and she was not doing any of it, I went, “Hellooooooo~” She jumped out of bed, closed the cover to her iPad and at double quick time, got into routine for bed.  

I did not know what she was doing but 2 hours later, when I opened her iPad to play a game to relax the night away, I saw a blinking cursor in Notes. “Oh! She was writing a story!” 

What an awesome Prologue to Dragon Queen! For just a split second, I wondered if she copied this from a book but no. I quickly realised she wrote this. I love it. I cannot wait for her to finish it but she never finishes writing “her books”. Then again, even if she wrote anything, she never wanted to share them with me.  


I think it is because she was embarrassed by her writing and she did not think they were ever good enough. Tonight, we will talk. I will tell her how I accidentally stumbled upon Dragon Queen. How then I went into WriteEdge Google Classroom to read her latest draft on An Act of Honesty and how good it is for a 9 year old to pen. Something I could never achieve when I was that age.   



Tonight, I will encourage her to not throw away the stories she wrote because one day, she may just have enough to publish a novel. Dreams are made of these and I will do all I can, in my capacity to support her! 

All you children, no matter how mediocre you think you had been, your parents never saw you any less. So throw away the criticism you had been dissing yourselves all these while and be thankful you have a village behind you. 

** Meyer and I take turns to put each child to bed every night. If I took Ewan and he took Faye on Monday, we will switch on Tuesday and finish the week fairly.

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts