Enabling Lives: Dialogue in the Dark

 At home, we are blessed with the songs of birds throughout the day as we live close to nature. Unknowingly, we block them out as we place our daily focus on everything else other than the melodic tunes of these birds. They could have been a natural relaxant to our stressful lives but yet…

I first noticed these birdsongs only when replaying back recordings of home videos I take of the children. To my surprise, these birds were actually quite loud! How could I missed them out totally? I closed my eyes and listened. It was beautiful.


I finally had a Dialogue with nature In The Dark in the comfort of my own home. 


I had gone through my daily routine without “seeing” anything at all these years!


While many of us had heard of Nox, a restaurant that serves patrons a cuisine in total darkness, I’m certain no one really knew the existence of Dialogue in the Dark Singapore. It offers a unique experience to raise awareness and facilitate inclusion to everyone regardless of race or religion. A visually-impaired guide will facilitate the tour to bring you and your family or friends through in a darkened room filled with wonders that you would never have known. 


We saw beyond the darkness. 


We felt beyond the uncertainties. 



It is a powerful message we are sending our children through this hour-long immersive tour into the dark. They saw how they could navigate in unfamiliar environments without sight as we engaged all our five senses to thrive and survive. 


We had a walking stick each in one hand to feel the ground and used the other free hand to keep ourselves grounded by feeling the walls. That sense of security, including the assuring voice of our guide, allowed us to enjoy the experience pique with curiosity.



We felt tree trunks and pebbled ground as we “walked in the park”. We gave the the leaves a colour in our heads and we heard the water flowing in a stream nearby. Slowly following the sound of the stream, we “reached a bridge and crossed it with care”. Oh the birds in the trees were chirping delightfully. Our guide told us to look for a wooden bench to sit for a rest and it didn’t take more than 10 seconds for us to find it. 


“The park” was only one but many places we visited on this immersive experience as a blind. It is amazing how we could “read” words on the wall with our hands and know how to navigate inside an unfamiliar home of a blind person purely by feeling through the different furniture. Then, I felt a stove. A fire stove and I got a shock at what I “saw”! 


“How do you cook? Isn’t it dangerous?” I asked our passionate guide. 


He laughed and educated us with much we never knew, “Yes! I cook! I chop my food and I put oil in my pan. I cook over a fire stove and wash my dishes as well! We learn all of these survival skills in school and I really would like people to know we are just as human as any healthy being.”


For a moment, I wondered if he could hear our hearts beating with empathy and pride for our disabled community. They sure are as human as any healthy being but they definitely have to work harder than anyone of us to navigate through this society.


His name is Kah Yong. 



Kah Yong brought us “to his friend’s home”, he guided us through a very busy street and showed us how to “cross the road”. Oh I know it was a busy street because the traffic was really loud with vehicles zooming here and there. In all honesty, I was a tad frightened to cross that imaginary road. I know they are all a set up but because I was “blind”, I was afraid to cross without being able to see. Trust is something the blind cannot take for granted for


Ewan was a champ going through this mock-up world. I could “see” the sparkle in his eyes though his voice as he spoke in amazement. Even for me, I felt enlightened and in awe of this world.


We navigated through more spaces but I shan’t disclose them to you so that you will get to experience that element of surprise. I believe everyone will come out of this with a different insight; challenged out of our comfort zone to tap into our non-visual senses to develop a deeper appreciation for their sightedness. 


Suitable for children aged 9 and up, this is such a strong dialogue to share with your children on inclusivity and empathy. May not be suitable for children who are afraid of the dark. 


With the reversal of roles, the blind guide brings visitors to a world which is no less fulfilling – just different.


I highly recommend you to find out more and book a Tour In The Dark


Save the date for the Enabling Lives Festival 2023 from Nov 30 to Dec 3! Throughout the festival, over 54 local and international partners will showcase inclusive activities, from workshops to performances, spotlighting the talents of the differently-abled. Visitors will also get firsthand insights into their world, with experiential activities like Tour in the Dark and The Silent Experience.

There is also an Enabling Village Open House on 2 Dec. Families and visitors of all ages can look forward to immersive art experiences, a curated food tree, pop-up music performances and the i'mable Gift Market where talented artists with disabilities showcase their artisanal works. 

Date and Time:

Saturday, 02 December 2023
10am to 6pm

Venue:

Enabling Village
Village Green Block Cabana, 20 Lengkok Bahru, Singapore 159053
**Free Admission 

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. KFC UK Menu, or Kentucky Fried Chicken, boasts a menu that has become a global culinary phenomenon, celebrated for its iconic blend of flavors and innovative offerings. Renowned for its succulent fried chicken, KFC's menu goes beyond the classic Original Recipe, introducing an array of delectable choices.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts