National School Games [Badminton Juniors]

I've turned up for every of your badminton tournaments. It was a struggle when you mentioned I didn't have to go for your first National School Games. I wanted to be there but I was also afraid to watch because I don't want to see you lose. As much as it's a lousy feeling for you, it is also for me even though I know that winning and losing is part of the sport. Mommy just couldn't bear the ache of your disappointment. Oh I always put on a brave and nonchalant front for you on those times you walk out of the courts tearing but I feel your pain. 

Pârț of me didn't want to be there at NSG courts because I was afraid I'd jinx your game. 

Doesn't sound logical but that's how moms are! We will always swell with pride from your achievements. Even if it was a loss, we will still be proud of you for getting back up on your feet to try again. 

We had absolutely no idea how NSG works. You just went with blind faith and told yourself to do the best you can. The school entered you for Juniors and you came back with a Tier 2 Silver pin after competing with seven boys. You were leading way ahead of your last opponent and was on the way to Gold. Alas. A boost in mental strength from your opponent caught you be surprise and he won the Gold with 21-19. 

Still, I was ecstatic about that Silver you brought home! I was a nervous wreck the entire morning at home while you were at the Finals. There was no update from you and I knew I must be there to pick you up from school because I wanted to be the first to know how you fared!

You told me that if you got anything less than a Silver, you'd be disappointed with yourself. So that Silver was a super YAY for me! You teared when you lost that Gold by 2 points but I could see from your facial expression that you're genuinely pleased with your performance that day. 

Two boys with the same skill set, same age, same training rigour can easily be determined a winner by who had the stronger mental strength that day. In sports, a winner today may not be a winner tomorrow because the contenders are all equally strong. It takes a lot to be defending champions and these players work very hard for it. 

Remember. When we lose, we are not going to find an excuse to say, "Awww that kid is older or better." or "It wasn't a fair game because he is the best in league." Excuses are for sore-losers. There had been many many many instances when a younger child can outrun/outbeat/outplay an older and bigger child. I did not know that any better but now I do. 

Really glad this NSG experience was a great one for you. The stories you brought back about this friend you made on the court was pure and beautiful. I'll pen this down for you to look back on.

Ewan: I made a friend!

Mom: How? There's time to make friends during NSG?

Ewan: Ya! He's my opponent.

Mom: Wow! How did you do that? You guys warmed up before going onto the court?

Ewan: No. there's no time for that. Warm-up only on the court as we sparred before competing. We are eye-contact friends.

Mom: *hahahah* Wow! What's eye-contact friends?

Ewan: Means we know we enjoyed each other during the match but no time to talk. When he did a good shot and I missed, I give him a thumbs up sign. When I did a good shot and he missed, he "WOW! Great Shot!" me.

Mom: Oh man! That's awesome! I love that spirit! Way to go you two!

This is what I love about you Ewan. 你敢爱敢恨。Where there's love, you'd give. Where there's hate, you don't hold back and will defend. You are definitely doing life right. That's my champ.

Oh and the bigger champ in you is when a stranger notices you and sends me such messages to praise you for being outstanding. Your passion for the game must have exuded from inside you young man! She saw how you rejoiced and she saw you teared. With the attitude you put forth, you ought to be proud of yourself for flying the flag of your school and badminton academy high. 



Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KFC Wrap of the Day, or Kentucky Fried Chicken, boasts a menu that has become a global culinary phenomenon, celebrated for its iconic blend of flavors and innovative offerings. Renowned for its succulent fried chicken, KFC's menu goes beyond the classic Original Recipe, introducing an array of delectable choices.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts