2019: New Beginnings at School


I had the most amazing two days observing the children in their new school. Faye is on her second day in Kindergarten One and Ewan, he's rocking Primary One like a rockstar!

FAYE IN KINDERGARTEN ONE
While parents could only watch Ewan from afar at assembly and recess, we were welcomed to sit in Faye's class for the first two days. I personally love the spacious and airy classroom she has. Especially liked it that it is well-ventilated without air-conditioning. Oh how I wish I can be there every single day just to watch her grow.

Being the ever reserved her, it took her some time to warm up. She hid behind me, took baby steps to open up, refused to smile or say a single word. When the teachers engaged the children in a Good Morning song and dance, she insisted she not join in. She was apprehensive but on her second day, she came slowly out of her cocoon. I saw Faye mouthed so ever quietly to her teacher today when she was asked her name, "faye". 

She did not cry at her new school but she also wasn't forthcoming and participative. Faye is always on her guard, always sizing people and places up before she lets her true self be seen. Oh so serious. She's got a personality. 

It was a difficult decision for me to pull her out of her pre-school because of sentimental reasons. If Ewan had completed his pre-schooling years with Lorna Whiston, I would want her to do the same. It's only fair they are given the same opportunities right? The decision was eventually made by our fiesta four year old. She said she had no qualms of leaving if we had to move her. Faye could leave her friends and teachers behind without any emotional strings attached. 

And so, we moved.

Her new kindy had certain ground rules: “We do not permit individual birthday celebrations in school for the children but we will celebrate for the children whose birthdays fall in that month. There will be a monthly celebration and the school will buy the cake for them. There shall be no parents, goody bags or presents please. Goody bags are usually unhealthy and we do not wish for other families to feel obligated about returning the favour. We would like to to inculcate that birthdays aren’t all lavish affairs. Time and presence are most important.” 

At that juncture, Faye went, “Huh? No goody bags? I don’t like this school already.” 

I have no idea when parents started giving out goody bags over Birthdays. Because it became a norm, I too give out gifts over my children’s birthdays in school. But upon hearing this little piece of ground rule from her new school, I am inclined to agree. 

To not have my children think it is a given [it is a privilege], maybe we should also stop giving out goody bags. Yay! I don’t have to prepare cakes for school anymore! 

“Oh! And please don’t buy our teachers Teacher’s Day gifts too. We welcome cards and Hugs.” 

I’m sure she will grow a lot these two years in this new place and forge some really great friendships in time.


EWAN IN PRIMARY ONE
Ewan filled me in with so many wonderful and hilarious stories at dismissal. Stories that I could never not pen because they are too precious to be left forgotten. 

I was craning my neck alongside many other parents at recess to spot him in a sea of noisy Primary School kids. I couldn't find him. Neither could his dad! Out of the blue, a boy jumped right in front of my face and screamed, "MOMMY!" Ah there you are son. It was so good to see him and we had a quick introduction of his P4 Buddy. A super duper quick one because these two boys were more excited to run off to spend the rest of recess together! 

If I wasn't behind a barricade, I would have ran forth to give him a squeeze.

Recess this week was a generous full hour! Ewan said he had Fishball Noodles on both days and his buddy brought him to the library right after their meals. I am so pleased the influence had been good. 吃饱了去看书. 太棒了! 

Ewan told me how his buddy offered to buy him a bottle of water on the first day because he dropped his water bottle and it broke. That was so kind. At dismissal on the second day, the first thing my son said when he ran through the gates towards me, "Mommy! My buddy bought me a toy from the bookshop too! And he also treated me to Chocolate Milk! I told him I have money and I will pay for it myself but he said it's okay." 

My jaw dropped upon hearing this and told my son we have to reciprocate this kindness and generoisity. With that, Ewan said, "I wrote him a card to thank him for the toy already. I asked my teacher to help me with spelling it." It must be a school initiative for the Primary Ones to write something to their buddies to thank them but I wrote this boy a separate letter from me, enclosed with a gift. Just to tell him how fortunate Ewan is to have him and how proud his parents would be of him as a responsible child.


Ewan actually cried at home before we left school because he was worried. But the big smile on his face at recess and the stories he machine-gunned me all the way home was proof that he had an amazing experience in primary school.

Have You Made Friends Yet?
No. I don't know anybody's names. I just tap them on their shoulders and go "Ay Ay" when I speak to them. 

Seriously Ewan! Day Two and he still doesn't know anybody's name. In fact, he doesn't even know his buddy's name but they've talked till the cows came home. Tell me if this is a boy's thing?

Oh My Goodness! Why Do You Have A Baluku On Your Forehead On The First Day Of School?
I was walking and walking then I walked into a wall while talking to my buddy about "Oh you know ah? Thanos BOMP"

That's how he said it and although I was at first concerned, I burst out laughing instead! He said his buddy checked if he was alright and he said he was. Trying to man up maybe because it must hurt a lot to get a bump on his forehead!

Where Are You Sitting In Class?
I am sitting in the second row and our tables are set three in a row.

I continued to probe him further because the classmates you sit with could possibly become your closest friend right? So I asked him what their names were and obviously he gave a shrug and said he doesn't know. What he told me next got me laughing!

I am sitting with two girls and I am in between them. My teacher did not allocate us. We chose our own seats. I decided on my seat and these two girls came to sit with me. 

"Wow! Oh my goodness son, you have to take care of them ya?" I told him.

Mmmmmmm? Actually, they are taking care of me. I couldn't close my snack box. Very hard to close you know mommy! So one of them helped me and they shared their snacks with me too.

You go boy! Win.

And I am mighty pleased he is sitting with quiet tame girls instead of rowdy boys who will be up to some mischiefs up their sleeves when they are together. 

This morning, Day Two morning, when I dropped Ewan off at school sitting him down with his classmates at the assembly area, he walked and chatted up with two friends. When he reached his form teacher, he greeted her Good Morning like a responsible polite child should. I was proud of him. 

We've also talked about bullying at great lengths on both ends - him as a bully and him getting bullied. He voluntarily told me out of the blue, "No one bullied me today mommy."

Looks like school is fun for him thus far although the first week is a false impression of what primary school might be with no lessons and unbelievable long recess time!

Ah! And he hasn't lose anything at all these two days. Achievement? Or too early to say?


MOM IN 2019
I have a whole new routine to get used to. For one, we will cut down on dinners at grandparents [which was daily from Monday to Friday] because we want Ewan and Faye to retire early. Going to gramps meant staying late and sleeping late. The past years, we had the children sleeping between 10pm to 11pm after coming home from their grandparents house [they napped in the afternoon]. But this timing isn't going to work for us all when we have to wake up at 6.30am every morning from here on.

The new routine is a big change:
- new timing for school runs
- daily disciplined home timetables
- cook lunch and dinner
- skipping afternoon nap
- lights out at 7.30pm

So far so good! Well, it's only Day Two.

Daily Disciplined Home Timetables meant play time, reading time, screen time and homework if there is. They are now required to help me with household chores including prepping of meals whether it is just a simple task of washing and cooking that pot of rice or chopping garlic. I hope to inculcate a healthy habit in them both so that when they become adults, such chores won't be too difficult.

I was brought up by a helper and everything was done for me. Cooking is a problem and I find it so hard to get myself into the kitchen to whip up something palatable. If I had the necessary exposure when I was little, this may not be a problem.

I had been cooking these two days and the thought was daunting! I was afraid but four meals later, I think I can do this albeit exhausting while keeping up with the items in our to-do list. I did two soups, fried rice, pasta and a braised minced pork, potato and carrot rice bowl.

Proud of myself really!

From someone who dislikes the kitchen and has no confidence whatsoever in cooking, I'm whipping up some rather eatable dishes!

Ganbatte Kudasai!

Even writing this blog post was a feat. I do not have time on my own anymore except for the hours after the children sleep. Even so, I couldn't find time and mental capacity to sit and write last evening. Exhausted. But I know I will be able to plan my time a lot more efficiently when I finally get used to our new schedules. 

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts