Cooking My Way to My Family's Heart

While it confirms the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, this is true only for a some men I'm sure! I am not one who is fast on generalisation. But I remember my dad telling me how important it is that I learn to cook because as long as there's food on the table, the family will gather. This I agree. That is why we always find ourselves at my dad's or my in-law's to get our stomachs filled.

I had been cooking a storm this year! Mainly because Ewan's in Primary School now and we cannot afford to spend hours on end at the gramps for dinner. The children will need to have their meals early so that we can whisk them off to bed. With zero cooking training or experience or inspiration from anyone, I just have to deal with it by reading recipes. Believe it or not, I had to watch YouTube demonstrations on How To Dice A Carrot! That's how much a noob I was beginning of this year.

10 months later, I am proud of the dishes I've put on the table for the family. Although still lacking the courage to cook meals for family and friends. 

I asked Meyer recently, "Hey, all these cooking? Did I hit the sweet spot targeting on your Love Language ah? Because if it doesn't, I don't want to waste my time anymore!" He let out a thunderous chuckle. I am a very practical person and I'm doing all these just to show him Love. If  this doesn't make him feel absolutely loved, then I better change strategy! *hahah* 

He hit my sweet spot by making the effort to come home at lunch hour. It triggered me to cook good meals for him. I mean... we reciprocate right? The daddy sets aside time from work to eat with his family [on days he can] and the mommy makes sure every one gets a good meal. Did you know in Switzerland, men are encouraged to take two hours lunch breaks so that they can go home for lunch with their families? Eat, bond and rest before coming back to work recharged again. I learnt about it 20 years ago from Meyer's aunt who lives there! We don't all get two hour breaks in Singapore. Mostly an hour. Feeling grateful, my husband feels its worth the while to take his one hour break at home with us. Well, in the end it's probably just 30 minutes because one hour includes travelling time. 

30 minutes would have touched many of our Love Languages - Ewan, Faye and I - and make a huge difference in his role as Dad.

With that, I make some good effort too on my part including plating and love notes! On this day, dad had the privilege to partake in some Japanese fare - Garlic Fried Rice and Green Tea.


Ewan and Faye love it when Pa Pa or Ma Ma uses the bowl and cup they sculpted at Taoz Ceramic Studio. It was in May 2019 when we stumbled across this new retail shop at JCube. The kids were like, "POTTERY! I want to make something!" And without thinking twice, we paid for a one-time class for two of them and brought home these beautiful pieces. 

Ewan moulded the cup and Faye, the bowl. They even had the privilege to paint it however they waned in the insides and bodies of their creations! 

The sweetest thing is the message under each of their art pieces. Under Ewan's cup, he asked his instructor to carve, "Daddy I love you SO Much!". Under Faye's bowl, it read, "I love Ma Ma".
Gifts of love to hold food for the stomachs. 

As I cook more and more each day, I grew a little bit more experimental with my dishes. I am quite a bad planner. I'd only decide what I want to cook on the day itself and then scramble my way through the supermarket to gather my ingredients for lunch or dinner. 

Last night, it was Laksa! Because I get to be in control of the amount of ingredients, I decided to be generous about it. Or to say it badly, I don't really know how to gauge. Always cooking more than required. *haha* Even though daddy had an extremely full lunch yesterday with his clients, he forced every single strand of thick vermicelli down this throat because mommy spent a long time in the kitchen putting this together just for him. 

I don't like spicy but I cook because daddy loves spicy.

I don't like to draw but I paint because Faye loves to paint.

Here's that bowl of Laksa on a painting I created, depicting my sincerity to be that supportive wife and mom!


And Ewan, I don't like you to eat French Fries and junk but I'll figure out a healthier way to cook it so you can enjoy it at home without me squirming.

Always waiting for you both [Ewan and Faye] to come back with your families for a meal when daddy and I turn 60.

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts