Halley Medical Aesthetics: #ABetterMay A Better Face

This is not a plastic surgery post


Happy with all that I have but what I would give for more beautiful eyes? Actually nothing really. I had always been a confident little one growing up. Full of self-esteem and holds the unwavering view of accepting what you've been given. So when the craze was in for rebonded hair, I would question, "What is wrong with my thick unruly curly hair?". When all the girls were conscious about flabs on their tummies and how it was obscene to wear a bikini with love handles, I rolled my eyes at them. Who decided that our body should be perfect without flabs? I told myself, "Love What You've Got May! There's nothing to change because You are You." 

I have this awful pigmentation of a spot on my left cheek which had been with me for the past 15 years. I had always taken it lightly because it is easy to spot it away with Photoshop. But it obviously mattered to me enough to spot it away isn't it?

Just last year, I was still big on the belief that we should let nature take its course. I accepted the fact that I will live with this spot for the rest of my life. There was no motivation for me to have it lasered off because I am not going to be bogged down by just some freckles and dark pigmentations on my face? Come on! I am getting older so it's only natural that wrinkles, white hair and yellow teeth will suffice. Only problem is, I am only 36 and already owned this 老人斑 [age spot] at 21. My optometrist also said I was getting 老花眼 [long-sightedness] some 15 years ago too.

Then something happened in 2017 which beat me up real bad [Read: I say, "Good Riddance to 2017"] and I was going downhill on self-esteem. I decided I should change my outlook in Life but first, with the physical outlook of me. Maybe creating #ABetterMay will send me back on my old self once again! Worth a try I say [although I know better it's all mental over physical]. I gave me a new hairstyle, whitened my teeth, exercised more regularly, ate my meals on time, embroidered my eye brows and now, embarking on a journey to rid my freckles and spot. I am not trying to stay 25 [because I am not]. I am just trying to look my part and exude a healthy glow [inside and out].

A New Outlook
A New Life

At 36, there was really nothing to lose. I was ready to have clear skin once again. 

I met with Dr Terence Tan at Halley Medical Aesthetics on the first week of 2018. We had a short consultation on what needs to be done and I agreed on the Fraxel® Dual Laser Face Rejuvenation regime. It will lessen my pigmentation and sun damage problems, erasing effects of acne and scarring.


WHAT IS FRAXEL DUAL LASER?
Fraxel is a non-invasive [very important to me] fractional resurfacing laser therapy that works below the skin’s surface from the top down. It targets only the deeper layers of skin while the top-most layer of the skin is retained to minimise downtime. 

The Fraxel light energy stimulates your skin’s natural collagen, rejuvenating skin cells below the surface to help smooth the creases and pockets that cause wrinkles and scars. It is also used to lighten and remove scars and pigmentation caused by acne, chickenpox, injuries as well as blemishes like birthmark and age spots. 

It is different from traditional fractional resurfacing lasers which are ablative by nature. Ablative lasers work by removing a thin outer layer of skin to achieve the desired result. But this results in a longer downtime compared to the Fraxel Dual laser. In simple terms, you will be able to see scabbing from the naked eye. 

That is why the Fraxel Dual laser is a preferred treatment for many people because it treats only a fraction of tissue at a time, leaving the surrounding tissues intact to promote rapid healing.

It costs S$790 per session at Halley Medical Aesthetics.



THE WEEK AFTER FRAXEL
I was most concerned not about the pain [I assumed there was no pain at all] but the after care. Many had told me that if I didn't take care of my face properly after a laser treatment, my pigmentations and freckles will erupt and multiply! That sounds rather scary doesn't it?

Dr Tan assured me that I could do just about anything I wanted after the laser but of course with due diligence on my part that I avoid the sun for one week. I should also put on sun block as part of my daily skincare regime. Even after Fraxel, I was able to put on the usual day and night creams, not to mention make-up! I was truly impressed that Fraxel will not disrupt my daily routines.

The week after my first Fraxel laser session had me a face as rough as sandpaper. It was very interesting that although the laser treatment had started to take effect, changing my skin from smooth to coarse, I looked exactly the same as I was before! I mean, there were no red spots or ugly scabs like the eyebrow embroidery even though my face was actually undergoing an exfoliation process. It is also the reason why it felt like sandpaper.

If you had followed me closely in my Hanoi trip in January, you would have noticed that my face was very much presentable to meet the world. All I was told by Dr Tan was to keep washing my face to keep it hydrated. I had smooth skin once again after seven days.

[In this picture, I was still going through exfoliation where it felt like sandpaper]



HOW THE FRAXEL LASER SESSION FELT?
I don't want to mask any of this information because I believe this is most important to many of you who are considering this laser option.

Surprisingly, it was manageable for me. My face was covered with numbing cream before the session and it did numb away quite a bit of the discomfort. I heard that different people handle the discomfort differently but I was quite comfortable on the chair when Dr Tan ran the smart scanning Fraxel hand piece over my skin. No jolts, no screams and no frowns.

The only part that was sensitive for me was my upper lip. Every time he had to go over that section, I willed it away in my head. Well of course it wasn't successful. He had to do what he had to do. I will have them put a little bit more numbing cream on my upper lip the next time.

When it was over, Dr Tan handed me a fan which blew out cold air. It was supposed to help ease the tingling effect of the lasering process and I felt like a champ walking out of the clinic unfazed! I was proud that I had high pain threshold and was ready to put back my mommy's hat fetching kids from school and all.




Then it happened. My skin felt hot and spicy, and I blasted the air-conditioner at my face as I drove towards my destination. That definitely helped. Thank goodness everything was back to normal in two hours. I was so relieved! At least two hours was bearable.

A few sessions are recommended for clearing pigmentations. I, for one, am ready for Session Two after Chinese New Year!

Like Us on Facebook if you enjoyed the read!
A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. 
We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other mothers alike.

Comments

Popular Posts