My Awesome SunMomDay

Mother's Day happens to be on Champagne Brunch Day! Oh every Mother's Day would be! How bubbly! We went for brunch alright but not Champagne-high because this mama is still nursing her sugarplum. I had been solo-parenting the past couple of days with just 4 hours of sleep per day. Daddy's back only for the weekend and he was off again on a business trip *sobs* No he didn't have time to plan an art & craft season with the kids to make me a card nor did he figure out where we should brunch on Sunday. However, I did receive a present for the occasion! I do not care if Mother's Day and Valentine's Day are marketing gimmicks. I just love being pampered *smiles*

My Steve Madden kicks are totally out of this world! Out of MY world too. I have never worn anything this loud before and it's just not me. It is so unlike the mAy I know to adorn such a grunge accessory but I wouldn't mind being a fun mom for the kids to grow up with. I only recently found out what IMO meant and I still do not know what ROFL stands for. Mommy dearest definitely need to catch up with times to speak the same lingo as her children as they move forward in their lives. I wanna be the cool mom! Hey kids (and hubster), I will walk your lifetimes with you until you say my job is done. Thank you darlings for this pair of comfy walking shoes for Mother's Day.


I received teacher-assisted  Mother's Day cards from each kid as well!

Ewan presented me with flowers and cupcakes when I dropped him off at school. It wasn't a tear-jerker kind of presentation but a heartwarming one. He was unusually shy but with a nudge from his teachers he said, "妈妈,母情节快乐". I don't know but something about it being said in mandarin made it felt important for the both of us.

Faye sounded her first Ma Ma when she was 6 months old but it wasn't formal because she said it several times a day and then we never heard it till a long time after. However, building up to Mother's Day, she kept going Ma Ma like a broken down recorder! I cannot be happier! Calling Ma Ma didn't just got me all emotional but my mother-in-law as well because she is, after all, 嬷嬷 (Ma Ma).

Meyer said, "For Mother's Day, take a day off and indulge in some Me-Time. I'll take the kids."

Really? I thought spending it with my family would be more gratifying than going for a manicure. Me-Time is obviously welcomed but not on Mother's Day. Not for me at least. I want the little people who call me mommy to be with me! Yep Yep Yep! These little impish cutie pies!



I love brunches and checking out new joints. Going out for a Sunday brunch is beyond doubt but which one? I decided on Old Habits at Blk 38, Telok Blangah Rise. Somewhere near home, yet unique enough to score some amazing photographs for keeps. Little did we know it is owned by a fellow schoolmate of Meyer's! Don is such a personable guy and I enjoyed our conversations - relaxed and easy. He helped us with the menu and you'd be surprised to know that he's the main cook as well! Bringing children out for meals are usually a rushed affair where savouring each bite becomes a treat. Still, I wouldn't trade for a classy champagne brunch at St Regis over a homely [hurried] one like this. Thankful for the toys in the cafe, it got them seated longer than usual. Oh and what are the odds of Ewan wanting to be strapped in? That old-school high chair appealed to him with it's rainbow backrest and seat. He exclaimed, "I want to sit in there!"







After a fun-filled morning, I went out for an afternoon tea party with 1872 Clipper Tea, organised by Risis. Since I could bring a +1 with me, why not my mother-in-law? It is Mother's Day and she's the only mother I am left with to appreciate. We indulged in making our own special blend of teas with lavender, forget-me-nots, rosebuds and lemongrass.



It was a relaxing afternoon and I was especially delighted with the gifts we received from Risis. Each of us bagged away with one pendant from Risis's The Singapore Storytellers Collection. It is a collection of five handcrafted, limited pendants curated to mark Singapore’s 50th birthday. #SG50! Designed by five local storytellers – spanning nature, the arts, business, travel and food, all proceeds of the pendants will be donated to Community Chest SG50 project.

How I love locally inspired products. Dick Lee's Mad in Singapore caught my heart and it lured me to check the rest of the collections out at Risis, Tangs Basement 1. This limited edition pendant is designed and inspired by the iconic cover of Dick Lee's international award winning album- The Mad Chinaman. It serves as a symbol and tribute to our nation's blooming arts and music scene. I am now the proud owner of 3 of The Singapore Storytellers Collection including Anita Kapoor's Four in a Gram and Dr Leslie Tay's Wok with Me.

Four in a Gram is inspired by Anita's memories of collecting Saga seeds. Four seeds made one gram and was historically used as a standard measure for gold and silver. Akin to Singapore's races living together as one, Anita hopes to capture the nation's collective strength and unity with this piece. I love it that the saga seeds shuffles in the gold encapsulation when you shake it. A very cute ornament for a fun day-out.

Wok with Me is inspired by Dr Leslie's fond memories of his favourite Hokkien Mee Hawker. He recalls standing in front of the wok while the lady cooks, waiting in anticipation for that moment when the prawn stock gets added to the fried noodles and steam filled the air with its mouth-watering aroma. This pendant consists of a wok with a traditional wooden cover, the iconic tools of the hawkers’ trade and I thought it's perfect for my mother-in-law who cooks for all of us every single day, making sure we are fed well and healthy. It is with me now because she got the hint that I love these collectibles! *beams*

There are 2,000 pieces made for sale for each design and they are priced at S$50 each. Do have a look at the other 2 designs by Trina Liang (President of UN Women SG) and Dr Kiat W. Tan  (CEO of Gardens By The Bay). A worthy project to support in raising funds for the under privileged in society in the run up to Singapore’s 50th birthday.



I had to match my Four in a Gram pendant with a Saga Seed ring? Love Meets Love Collection – a union of red Saga seeds, a classic symbol of everlasting love. This jewellery collection is simply the perfect way to say “I love you”. Oh were you one of those who collects saga seeds when you were young? I hardly see them anymore but I just found a whole lot of 'em at Ewan's school! I must find time to collect them soon. Just for nostalgic reasons and to give it to you children as a gift of my love.

Only after becoming a mother, can I finally comprehend the meaning of unconditional love. My mother loved me with all her might and like all mothers, I was very likely her life. Every hurtful word I rebutted would have cut her like a knife. Every joke I told would have kept her smiling for days. If I had known, I would hold her hand and told her jokes every single day just to keep her smiling. I would be less caught up in my own world and considered her more in my activities. 

Maybe it's just me but Ewan and Faye, I'm frightened of you growing up. I am terrified of losing your earnest declarations of "I Love You"s and innocent hugs. You probably don't remember but you plead to be carried when I put you on the floor, you cry when I'm not there after you wake, you said the lunches I prepared are the yummiest even though it tasted really bad to me... 

You two made me felt - needed. So loved and so very important. I am the centre of your universe and I know I will lose that place once you have your own families. They will become the centre of your universe. When that happens, don't forget that you are still my life, my light. I would love to spend every Mother's Day with you two little impish devils if that is all I can ask for. Erm.. not to greedy to include time spent together for every birthday too right? Yours, daddy's and mine?

Whispers, "Now now, how about Christmases, Anniversaries and Sundays?" *hahah* Can you feel my love children?


A stay at home mum, blogging to widen her social life. We want to echo the sound of love through our lives to inspire other families alike.

Comments

Popular Posts